NameSilo

Sadly domaining is real negative versus its hey-days, imo. Do you agree?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
IMO the domain market is becoming more and more diverse with .com slowly but surely losing stature as time goes by, except for a few .com categories such as single word product and company names like Ring.com Brew,com and others, and important 2 word com's such as creditcards.con for example. In those categories .com is by far the king.

Starting in 2015 and getting much worse by 2016 my own sales and inquiries dropped big time. In fact, my sale inquiries are down over 90% in past few years, which portfolio consists of most all .com and .org names. That 90% plus decline is in spite of my sales techniques being significantly improved and better vs a few years ago.

Actually my wife first talked about this subject a few years ago when she looked at a GoDaddy reg page saying to me why would a buyer ask about your name when it is mid 3 min offer and they see dozens of low cost options recommended on the GD screen, including lots of unreg'd new extensions.

She went on saying stuff like why would anyone offer you $xxx and pay maybe $x,xxx when they can buy the unreg'd dot-net or .org for $14.95 or a host of new extensions for prices ranging down to under $10.

Then her statement quickly hit home hard as I lost several big sales to new extensions sold at lower cost vs my .com or org. For example, a mid-size bank wanted to buy their EMD acronym name but after lots of time and negotiations in mid 4-fig range they ended up reg'ing a .new bank ext instead. After that I lost a few more to other extensions which the buyers likely found on the GD page, mostly new ext but even to a .biz. Most losses went unexplained but upon digging it was sometimes discovered why they did not buy.

Think about it, if you are new in business, a ma and pa store or low on funds why make a 3 figure offer and get a counter-offer in 5 figures when there's dozens of low cost options on Godaddy page available for immediate buying with no negotiations and much lower prices?

You can make a website just as easily on a non-com and I am fairly sure Google will rank you based on your SEO ability, not based on your domain extension. Later on if you become successful you can then try to buy the preferred dot-com For decades type-in traffic was said to be a main reason for dot-com but truth is type-ins are down significantly over past several years so that's no longer a major reason for owning the .com

All that paints a poor picture and bad outlook for many domainers, myself included, and a reason I am sadly bearish on this business now. Even website traffic seems way down except to the huge amazon-like websites, for various reasons, I will not cover at this time, not to mention PPC parking revenue being down a truly staggering 95% over past 8 years or so! In fact, ppc is so bad I don't bother to park my domains anymore except for a few.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
On a lighter note, usually when a domain investor expresses concern over the market, I say, "Yeah, it's just terrible. You should give me all your domains and go try something else." LOL (They never do)

I try to remember the saying "I cried because I have no shoes until I saw the man with no feet". Things can always be worse. The new year us upon us. We can use this time to reflect and plan and hopefully execute changes which can advance us. That might mean changes to our own lives, work ethic, trying new things, dumping things that just dont work, even trying to change and better this industry. Perhaps become more involved at a higher level.

PS - if they wont just give you the domains then send them over my way, I will buy for $1. :)

•••
so for what its worth, holding x.company and f.cafe are not bad holdouts after all and there is a potential in the future for them to be, gulp, a million dollars?

•••
so for what its worth, holding x.company and f.cafe are not bad holdouts after all and there is a potential in the future for them to be, gulp, a million dollars?
Why are people so focused on ultra short domains in new gTLD space, this I will never understand.

This is not .com, we can not achieve scarcity in new gTLDs just by lenght reduction...there are more then 1000 of new extensions, and this is just round 1...round 2 will come in next few years with highest probability.

The math of scarcity worked in .com era, when all what we had was .com, .net and .org.
It can not work in new gTLDs as many domain investors with .com mentality still thinks. Just imo :)

•••
I feel like the new extensions really hurt dot coms over the past few years. So many choices and at such cheap prices. Now, the more endings, the more confusing. The general public doesn’t/didn’t know any better, but is now finally seeing the light. Any outdoor ads, whether on billboards, buildings or vehicles that are not using .com, will only send 9 out of 10 viewers to the owner of the name in .com. From my first domain registered, I always looked at .com as the best virtual real estate in the world and would never be topped, at least during my lifetime. So far it has only gotten stronger with time. The King has it right and most other GTLD’s are a waste of money & time. The top end users know this now and even small local business’ are being educated, on how they need to use .com in any name they promote. The large registers don’t care what people register & buy and they have incentives just to make the sale...any sale or registration. By the way, anyone looking VR domains, OMGdomains.:)

Last edited:
•••
Why are people so focused on ultra short domains in new gTLD space, this I will never understand.

This is not .com, we can not achieve scarcity in new gTLDs just by lenght reduction...there are more then 1000 of new extensions, and this is just round 1...round 2 will come in next few years with highest probability.

The math of scarcity worked in .com era, when all what we had was .com, .net and .org.
It can not work in new gTLDs as many domain investors with .com mentality still thinks. Just imo :)

I believe you. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back