IT.COM

rpg.org STOLEN DOMAIN ALERT

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Within the last few days rpg.org seems to have been taken from its rightfull owner.

On the 25th the seller posted the domain on this forum for sale. The sale has been pulled and the seller has been banned. The same day the domain was posted for sale the domain was updated.

I have sent an email to the owner of the domain (details provided by someone) as a confirmation to ensure this is 100% confirmed stolen. I am currently awaiting a response.

The seller had posted in 2 other threads requesting to know where a domain for sale is registered. If rpg.org has requested to know this ENSURE YOUR DOMAINS ARE LOCKED AND YOU HAVE SECURE PASSWORDS. Also take the precaution of ensuring the whois email is not the same email address as the registrar login.

More information will be posted in this thread as and when it is available.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks so much to have attention to this case.

Unfortunatelly story is very hard, I'm very disabled to get the domains back. I contacted ICANN, CERT, current registrar, and several other organizations also in this case, but nothing improvement.

Thanks for those also, who contacted me with informations about the thieves, all infos have been forwarded to the InterPol.

Here I want to alert you, that GoDaddy is not doing anything in the case.

I contacted them before the domain transfers that I can not access my account, do not let any domain transfers until I prove my ownership. But the let.

Currently I'm at the 54th email to GoDaddy's different departments, I even in email contact with the office of Luke Hintze, GoDaddy president, but they dont give attention to this case.

I had 43 domains stolen from that account, finally I got back almost all except rpg.org and mmorpg-x.com. BUT I aware you : GoDaddy did not give back the 41 domains' content (website, sql databases) they say it is the customer' responsibility to make backups. So I surely lost months of work, that was in that 41 website's content.

Thanks again for everybody who helped, and I tell again :

THE DOMAINS ARE STILL STOLEN, THE CASE IS IN PROCESS, THEY ARE DEFINITELY NOT FOR SALE.

Thanks,
Ggot

•••
I was offered this domain as well via email. The guy put it up for sale on Sitepoint.com (search rpg.org to find it), He was asking 6.5k BIN, I was ready to buy then I googled the domain, thank god this came up.

His Name in the email was :
Khalid Shaikh

and his email addy was:
[email protected]

Looks like a spam email....

GGot, I'm really sorry to hear your tale, do any mods here have any advice for protecting your domains? I really don't want something like this to happen to me.

Ggot, I remember that I messaged you on DP About the domain and you said it wasn't for sale, so when I saw this random shmuck selling it on Sitepoint for 6.5k BIN I knew it couldn't have been you, so I googled it.

I hope you get your domain back.

•••
remotay said:
GGot, I'm really sorry to hear your tale, do any mods here have any advice for protecting your domains? I really don't want something like this to happen to me.

I have several advices to protect your domain :

1. If you run a domain worth more than a limit (for me is about $1000, over this it seems it is worth to steal) do these things :
- Do not registrar and host it GoDaddy :) They won't do anything for you. I even talked to their president Luke Hintze, they did not give a f*ck about this story
- Find a registrar & host that has a service of phone feedback domain transfer and password change. So the hackers can't change your pass neither transfer your domain without your phone permission
- Do not believe anyone during website buy/sell who wants you to use softwares they show to proove your income or something. If someone asks that, leave him.
- If you earn much, join DNOA and better ICA. ICA has members of really powrful internet gurus, I heard stories they got back stolen domains for their members within 12 hours.
- Make sure, you have backup of your websites' content, in case of dinanic sites, make sure you backup the contents reguralry.
- Send your personal data, ID card for example to the domain registrar to attach it to your domains.

Thats all. To be honest, if I hadn't other problems that times, and if I was not hungarian but from USA, the whole problem would have solved much easier.

•••
ggot said:
- Do not registrar and host it GoDaddy :) They won't do anything for you. I even talked to their president Luke Hintze, they did not give a f*ck about this story

I have heard godaddy are not very good with regards to these types of issues from a few people to be honest. I am not a fan of them personally.

Having spoken with the owner of cool.org which was stolen at one point (now recovered) Moniker and Netsol are good at handling the issues. Moniker only has Monday to Friday phone support but as soon as they are notified they halt any transfers.

ggot said:
- If you earn much, join DNOA and better ICA. ICA has members of really powrful internet gurus, I heard stories they got back stolen domains for their members within 12 hours.

From my understanding the ICA has quite a few members who are registrars hence why they probably managed to deal with stolen domain issues fast. This of course was also a criticism of them as general domainers were not represented.

•••
Finally !

ENOM locked the stolen domains, they can't be sold anymore. Now I just have to prove my ownership, and I'll get them back...

•••
Keep us posted!

I hope you'll get your domain back.

•••
ggot said:
Finally !

ENOM locked the stolen domains, they can't be sold anymore. Now I just have to prove my ownership, and I'll get them back...

Congratulations! Glad to see you got that situation fixed up (well, mostly there)

•••
Dont EVER EVER put your high money domains in godaddy.

•••
•••
An interesting info :

Today I got an emal from Khalid Shaikh ([email protected]) with this text :

" I want to know why you sold me rpg.org and mmorpg-x.com
and now you are trying to take it back by claiming they were stolen.
Is this your number? : *********** "

Interesting, that there are people like this one... How he dares to send me an email like this ? ...

•••
ggot said:
Interesting, that there are people like this one.
There are different and all kinds of people in this world, especially those we've
only imagined.

Good to read that eNom locked the domains at least. Press on.

•••
Good luck Ggot with getting them back!

•••
He scammed me too. Hopefully I'm going to get my money back from PayPal, I have provided them with tons of proof and he just said 'I sent domain over'.

I would be so disgusted if he won the case.

•••
Heads up, the domain is for sale on SEDO, is Ggot, I pressume thats not you?

•••
pretty sure it isn't him selling on SEDO remotay seems to have been on there for a while.

•••
I found his name and address. He seems to be based in a foreign country going through multiple IPs. Can we use this to litigate him?

•••
flashback2 said:
I found his name and address. He seems to be based in a foreign country going through multiple IPs. Can we use this to litigate him?
Check with your lawyer, though I'd imagine yes. Not meant to discourage, but
the real challenge is enforcing that decision on someone someplace who might
not see eye to eye with your jurisdiction.

Good luck.

•••
This is messed up. I searched for my MMORPG (planetshattered.com) and got this post for some reason, from google results it looks like my site is the one you speak of being stolen. I was about to get really ticked off at someone for lying. lol

WTF. Google result:

Warnings & Alerts on NamePros.Com - Buy, Sell, & Discuss Domain ...
10 posts - 9 authors - Last post: Apr 7
WWIII Online Game: http://planetshattered.com/. Thread: Show this thread (10 posts) · Thread info: Attention!!! Scammer!!! Size: 230 bytes ...
boardreader.com/fp/NamePros_Com_Buy_Sell_Discuss_21529/Warnings_Alerts_434193.html - 147k - Cached - Similar pages

also here:

http://boardreader.com/fp/NamePros_Com_Buy_Sell_Discuss_21529/Warnings_Alerts_434193.html

Dave Zan said:
Check with your lawyer, though I'd imagine yes. Not meant to discourage, but
the real challenge is enforcing that decision on someone someplace who might
not see eye to eye with your jurisdiction.

Good luck.

Try talking to ICANN, the law cannot do much unless you have big $$ to invest in legal fees. This is why you NEVER EVER give out your godaddy password and make it one that you cannot even remember and just write it down. SOmeone hijacked your godaddy and sold the domain I bet.

•••
Once the domain has transfered to another register, it is difficult, nearly impossible, to get back the stolen domain, unless you can prove trademark infringement; and this can only be done if you have a trademark over the name. If the name is a generic word; like here; then it is difficult to recover it. Your best bet would be to buy it back.

•••
•••
•••
What a lowlife scammer >:(
Well done Mark :tu:

•••
thought there was something sus about him when he was trying to convince ggot into buying the domain back and there not being any point chasing i.

•••
Some people are just evil. Also make sure you lock your domains, it really helps.

•••
After 2 years of struggle, we finally got the domain back !

Thanks for all, the thread can be closed / deleted.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back