IT.COM

Rookie mistakes. How to limit renewal costs,help

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Robert27

Established Member
Impact
Hi. Iam making all the mistakes but Iam learning, you have to pay to learn. Just realised how many Dom’s I have. I have bought most for one year can I move them to a different company who offer cheaper renewals or should I just get refunds on the ones I don’t want. I need a strategy,plan.

Many thanks , Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some advice for you...

1. Register 2 or 3 names and then try sell them. Reinvest that profit you make from them into more names.

2. Always get a list of buyers before buying a name, then you are less likely to get stuck with it.

3. Don't hand register available names. Email owners of a few decent names or check expiring lists. Better to spend $200 or $500 on 1 decent name rather than 20 crap hand-registered names. Quality of Quantity.

Good luck

•••
Hi Giles, I printed off your advice yesterday , I know what I should do but the blood was up , it’s too easy to buy! It’s too late now, I need a plan to limit the renewals. I guess you are from SA maybe,I lived there years ago. . Baie Dankie

Last edited:
•••
I also feel for the right humble innovative people, going stupid and registering 1000 first year can fast forward hard lessons and create success. This is what I did, it was a mess, but I quickly learned the hard way what is worthless, and am happy with how I began.

Again, one must be realistic and willing to accept all faults by dropping tons of their logically crap domains to move forward in better skill. if your into words with numbers, three words, making up brandables that aren't on branding sites, or doing non com, then well, good bye.

when your new , stick to what sales data says, if your keywords show near no sales on namebio, then your trying to reinvent a game that will school you.

IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
Yes thanks for that, more good advice. I am in the middle of getting refunds from godaddy, they have been very food so far.

So no numbers, three words and Iam only sticking with dot com, mostly. I am going to have to pay more attention to keywords. I know this but didn’t do it!

Many thanks

•••
That should be .... very good. Fat fingers and it’s lunchtime.

•••
Iam also going to look more closely at Namebio and see what sells .

•••
Getting a list of buyers ... how can you do that?

•••
If you want to save money don’t use GoDaddy.

•••
Curious - Do Godaddy have a policy on mass refunds for domain investors?

It shows 5 days for refunds on newly registered .com domains (exceptions and no refunds in place for some other extensions), but is there a limit in place?

I can understand the odd 1 or 2 but if someone asks for loads of refunds at once or constantly asks for them surely they are going to get flagged? Or not?

The below is for the UK site - I can't see anything about any limits

https://uk.godaddy.com/legal/agreements/refund-policy

•••
I have been asking for refunds in the 5 day and they say they will refund. Not sure how much. They have been very good . It’s long winded and I complicated it with the stupid names I registered but so far so good. Various extensions .

Last edited:
•••
The thing I like about godaddy is I can easily put Dom’s in their auction and there is afternic but they are more money. Does anyone else do anything like godaddy cheaper?

I have a few with name cheap, how can I market them?

•••
Getting a list of buyers ... how can you do that?

I use Google, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc to get similar companies that could use the name I plan to buy.

Make sure you get the decision-maker's email from each comnpany, like Founder, CEO or Business Development Manager etc

Yeah, originally from SA, but living in Perth now but still a mad Springbok supporter.:xf.smile:

•••
Cheers Giles, never thought of that looking on LinkedIn etc before you buy, it’s all been a bit unplanned but I need to get more strategic. I am not buying any more until I sell something. Lots in auctions but they look a bit lost in the masses.

Yea I have family in aus, 90% of SA must have moved there. The last time I followed the rugby old Nasty Botha was playing.
Cheers

•••
Most of my names are sold via linkedIn now, got a decent tech following (30k) on LinkedIn so its a bit easier to sell the names if you get some decent ones

•••
Some advice for you...

1. Register 2 or 3 names and then try sell them. Reinvest that profit you make from them into more names.

2. Always get a list of buyers before buying a name, then you are less likely to get stuck with it.

3. Don't hand register available names. Email owners of a few decent names or check expiring lists. Better to spend $200 or $500 on 1 decent name rather than 20 crap hand-registered names. Quality of Quantity.

Good luck
So, at 2% STR, he will need like 50 years to reinvest the profit by buying 2 names? Buying early, like 10-15 years ago will make more sense by following this advice. Please post couple of examples from godaddy auctions that you think they will end in the $200-$300 range and it will be a good buy. Hard to find, isn't it?

•••
By the time I get around to delete them they have damn traffic and either just cut them and delete backlinks and all or renew them but i have thrown away good names in past due to various reasons but trying to be more sensible with experience and hold names i want. Idea is learn faster.

Last edited:
•••
Giles - 30 k followers wow. So ideally you need a following to sell to which makes sense. I struggle with this but I will check it out.

Many thanks to all the replies.

•••
So, at 2% STR, he will need like 50 years to reinvest the profit by buying 2 names? Buying early, like 10-15 years ago will make more sense by following this advice. Please post couple of examples from godaddy auctions that you think they will end in the $200-$300 range and it will be a good buy. Hard to find, isn't it?

I never buy off GD auctions, you email owners of decent names and buy decent names that way. I find decent names wont be expiring and going to auction, peopel will keep renewing them. Even if you pay a bit more like $500 or $1k for a really nice name that will sell, at least you make a profit and then reinvest that cash.

Buy 2 or 3 names at $200, sell them for $500 or $1000 each, then reinvest that $1000 or $2000 into 10 names at $200....rinse and repeat.

•••
Cheers, my job going forward is to sell something at a profit , get some money in and be more strategic in how I reinvest. Most I have is on godaddy and have been trying to get hold of their auction team because the screens are not working as they should. I want to change the prices but it won’t let me. I spoke to someone in the tech team and they couldn’t understand why. It’s not a great system as far as I can see but hopefully get sorted today.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back