Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

nfh

Established Member
Impact
Godaddy's T&Cs state:

"You agree that Go Daddy will not be liable for:
- any suspension or loss of the domain name registration in your name
- use of your domain name registration by you or others, whether or not authorized by you to have such use
- interruption of business
- access delays or access interruptions to this site or the web site(s) you access by the domain name registered in your name"

This worries me. What are real risks of transferring a domain from one registrar to another? Is it really possible for a third party to grab a domain during the transfer process? If the name servers are set to be the same with the old and the new registrar, can there be any DNS outages and if so, for how long typically?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Once upon a time there were domains that were lost during the registrar transfer process. That was years ago and I don't believe you need to worry about those issues anymore.

You won't experience any DNS outages during a registrar transfer.

•••
i do it regularly. i'm sure many others do it, too. when you want to consolidate because you're DNs are spread over too many registrars or you want to save some money, you just gotta do it. Had no problems other than some registrars taking longer to transfer DNs than others.

•••
-RJ- is right, there used to alot of risks but they are very very very rare now, however it is still possible to grab a domain during transfer, but takes alot of skill unless your domain is worth a bucket load its unlikley anyone will goto the trouble of trying to grab it.. so no need to worry..

•••
why does namecheap require a domain name to be at least 60 days or older to transfer from a differnt registar?

•••
Originally posted by axilant
why does namecheap require a domain name to be at least 60 days or older to transfer from a differnt registar?

I think all registrars have a 60day wait..

You may still be able to transfer it internally within the registrar, not sure thoe? anyone ?

•••
Originally posted by Blackpanther
-RJ- is right, there used to alot of risks but they are very very very rare now, however it is still possible to grab a domain during transfer, but takes alot of skill unless your domain is worth a bucket load its unlikley anyone will goto the trouble of trying to grab it.. so no need to worry..

I assume by this, you mean that it is not possible to grab a transferring domain using backorder services and anyone trying to grab it would have to be aware in advance that the transfer was about to take place?

•••
I know that if you were transferring domains to RegisterFly, they a guarentee that if the domain cannot be transferred you get your money back. I havent had any problems with them yet, but I guess its something you might be interested.

•••
Originally posted by Blackpanther
I think all registrars have a 60day wait..

You may still be able to transfer it internally within the registrar, not sure thoe? anyone ?

you can internally but not switching registars :(

•••
The wait usually depends on the registar, sometimes they take a longer time so they don't lose their buisness with you.

•••
Originally posted by nfh
I assume by this, you mean that it is not possible to grab a transferring domain using backorder services and anyone trying to grab it would have to be aware in advance that the transfer was about to take place?

Yes thats right.... :)

•••
FYI the 'NamePros.com' domain is at it's third registrar in the past year. I transferred from Blueberry domains -> Network Solutions (free renewal) -> eNom

No problems anywhere.

•••
Don't worry about transfers anymore Things have always gone smoothe for me.

•••
Thanks for all the reassurances that it would go smoothly.

I've just transferred my main domain from Joker.com to Godaddy and the whole process took 36 hours from start to finish.

Interestingly, Joker.com have a pre-authorisation tool to authorise an impending outgoing transfer. How do other registrars (e.g. Register.com) confirm outgoing transfers with the registrant?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back