Domain Empire

discuss Ripple.Store Trademark???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

EmpireNames.com

Founder @ Rooted.com Previously Empire NamesTop Member
Impact
This message i rcvd in inbox from new member.

Hi,

I know you're selling only but, if you're collecting some more XRP domains, I own XRPstatus.com. By the way, if you have a look at Ripple's legal page, you'll see they're going after anyone who's using Ripple in a domain name, its their trademark, unlike XRP which isn't. Just a heads up its best if you shift that domain as soon as you can, if it gets their attention they won't like it. Especially when XRP and Ripple go fully mainstream.

I'm not attempting to scare you or anything, just saying in case you're buying more Ripple domains for example, not a great long-term hold.

and i check trademarkia and ripple is belong to some drink company...

Would like to know what are the possibilities

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Yes it is a trademark but what I don't understand in this is it is a generic name..
I think ripple.xyz was sold by a member here.

•••
Interesting. I would think that "Ripple" might be a trademark wrt cryptocurrencies / technology only.

Surely you get "ripple" in water, how can someone trademark that?

Probably comes down to intent.

•••
@Kamaldeen @Pierre Barnard
i saw that its trademark but not from ripple currency company...
its trademarked by some food company...

•••
@Riz M. very interesting. I see Ripple Crypto owns the .com. Surely the Food company would have complained by now?

•••
@Riz M. very interesting. I see Ripple Crypto owns the .com. Surely the Food company would have complained by now?
this is the reason i opened up this thread to check how pros here would respond to this...

•••
Interesting. I would think that "Ripple" might be a trademark wrt cryptocurrencies / technology only.

Surely you get "ripple" in water, how can someone trademark that?

Probably comes down to intent.
That's the same for anything. An apple is an apple but it can still be registered. It's all about the class descriptions in their trademarks or if they're not registered, they'd have to be able to prove that they have unregistered rights showing it being used as a trade name for a particular product or service.

•••
am i just blind and stupid or is no one else seeing this guys trying to push his crap by scaring op with tm laws. kinda lame

•••
There's also the added bonus that no one cares about crypto anymore :bag: so the bit about "Ripple going fully mainstream" is fantasy. :pigeon::pigeon::pigeon::pigeon:

•••
am i just blind and stupid or is no one else seeing this guys trying to push his crap by scaring op with tm laws. kinda lame
yes i thought so but i wanted to see here pros reviews about it (y)(y)

•••
Trademark infringement is almost exclusively about USAGE!
Particularly if it's a single generic dictionary word.

(When it's a longer or made up less generic term then there can be grey areas like Coca-Cola for example, but Ripple is generic)

Meaning you are safe that AS LONG AS:

1- You do not have any advertisements related to Crypto
2- You do not make money in any way related to Crypto
3- The general population do not confuse your site as being related to them

I put Crypto .. but obviously there shouldn't be anything related to any and all trademark holders (registered AND UNREGISTERED)

Remember that trademark registration is virtually meaningingless as the biggest advantage in registering is in helping you prove when you started using it .. but legally there is zero difference if a company has registered a trademark or not (it's just harder to prove without registration) .. as long as they are using the term/mark in trade .. then it is a legal trademark, and you are infringing on their mark if you are using it in the same way as them in the same category/territory)

If you have the domain parked without ads then you're totally safe.

Please note that I am NOT a trademark expert or lawyer .. I just researched the subject a little more than the average person .. lol

Last edited:
•••
Trademark infringement is almost exclusively about USAGE!
Particularly if it's a single generic dictionary word.

(When it's a longer or made up less generic term then there can be grey areas like Coca-Cola for example, but Ripple is generic)

Meaning you are safe that AS LONG AS:

1- You do not have any advertisements related to Crypto
2- You do not make money in any way related to Crypto
3- The general population do not confuse your site as being related to them

I put Crypto .. but obviously there shouldn't be anything related to any and all trademark holders (registered AND UNREGISTERED)

Remember that trademark registration is virtually meaningingless as the biggest advantage in registering is in helping you prove when you started using it .. but legally there is zero difference if a company has registered a trademark or not (it's just harder to prove without registration) .. as long as they are using the term/mark in trade .. then it is a legal trademark, and you are infringing on their mark if you are using it in the same way as them in the same category/territory)

If you have the domain parked without ads then you're totally safe.
Noted... will change landing page rightaway.
Thanks for advise mate :)

•••
According to Harvard law, there can be many different trademarks for the same term. This is called 'parallel registrations.'

As an example, the term 'Delta' is an airline, a plumbing manufacturer and other things.

If the plumbing manufacturer starts selling airline tickets there would be a problem and vice versa.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back