Dynadot

Retrofit Responsive?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Is there any way to retrofit responsiveness to a website? Or is it a total redesign from the ground up?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My impresion from trying to get my own site ready for the April 21 problem is that it might be possible if you currently use a VERY simple template. If, like me, you are using something with more features, it won't be so easy.

I would love for someone to show me I am wrong about that.

•••
It depends on what you have. Most sites, you won't have to do a major redesign. I've been throwing html sites into Bootstrap. Certain parts of a site may need to be rethought for mobile. For example, I mentioned in another thread that I have pages with multi-column comparison tables - how do I handle that for 320 wide Portrait mode? (The Mobile Ready Test checks mobile compatibility down to that screen size - horizontal scrolling of the window is not allowed.)

Some CMS driven sites will be just a matter of switching to a responsive template, if you have a lot of customization it could be trickier.

If responsive doesn't work for you, make a mobile version of your site and serve it by default on screen sizes too small to render your current design.

Last edited:
•••
•••
So it seems possible.

If using a CMS it is probably easiest to do what enlytend said - just switch theme.

The rest probably depends on what it is you are adapting and how mobile-friendly you want it to be. If you just want it all to display on a screen without scrolling but accepting some imperfections you can probably rescue most designs.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back