Domain Empire

Results vs. Requests

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello Members,

Today let’s talk about Results/Requests.

One of the things we see all to often are n00bs using Search Engine "Results" (the number of pages found by the SE when you type in your search term) when attempting to valuate a name or in demonstrating the popularity of the word or phrase.
This is a big mistake that many of us made when first starting out.

The truth of the matter is Search Engine Results are based on the number of sites or pages that have that word or phrase as their keyword/keywords somewhere within the text of the resulting page. In other words, this is your competition for that name.
These are the other sites that are competing for SE position and rank against you.

Also, when searching a phrase or term (more than one word), if you don’t use the modifier " " wrapped around them you get the results for each word individually.
Example:
Searching for fast cars will show the results for pages having both "fast" and "cars", with the resulting number of pages found to 196,000,000. When you use the " " modifier, as in "fast cars" you will only get the results using that exact phrase, 4,210,000.

Big difference!!!

Still, these Results are not a reflection of the search popularity of the word or phrase, but only how many other pages are keying on it/them.

So the question is; what are some ways to determine if our name is popular? One way is to seek out the number of Requests or queries for our name. Requests are the actual number of times people have typed our specific name into the search bar.
This is a better indicator of name popularity and when compared with results, can give you and idea of how much work will be involved climbing up through the ranks.

Oh, that seems simple enough, but where can these figures be found? Well, there are a number of options available here.
Let’s focus on the two most well known in our industry. One is Overture’s (now called Yahoo Search Marketing) Keyword Selector Tool, a tool that compiles all of Yahoos' search engine requests. The other is Wordtracker, which collects search terms from two major metacrawlers - Dogpile and Metacrawler.

Both can be found here

Both of these can help you, and when used together (since they can show different results) can give a good indication of how many times your name is queried by searchers, however, you must keep in mind that these tools can also be manipulated by unscrupulous marketers, so dont base all of your plans on these alone.

Let us conclude with a summary of todays lesson. Results/Requests are completely different statistics that can be used in combination with each other when attempting to valuate a name, but are by no means the only indicators that should be considered.

I hope this helps answer some of your question and gives you a little more perspective when valuating your domains.

Peace,
Cyberian

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
very good article Cyberian,

good information

•••
I agree that the " " modifier does need to be used to determine accurate search term results. I do feel that the search results do play a small factor in value as not only is this your competition for the term, but it shows that the term is a desired or known term in the search engines which usually means there will be plenty of advertisers bidding for the term if they are trying to optimize their websites to the term, which is good if parking your domain names and the search term results are high there is usually no lack of advertisers, if the results are zero then there is no interest in the term yet and no optimization is being done on the term so probably no advertisers, if the results are high then people are optimizing their websites to the term looking for search engine traffic and will be willing to advertise on a pay per click basis for the term to gain even more search traffic, good article Cyberian.

Last edited:
•••
I really like this article, it's very informative - thanks for sharing! :)

•••
Good article Cyberian. :D

Really informative and useful for newbies. I think this will surely save some $$'s for a newbie. He would not invest in useless domains. (Like me :D)

•••
nice read. Thanks.

and even bigger difference and what really counts unless a domain is developed is the domain name itself:

fastcars - 34,800

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back