status-resolved Restricted Member Moderation

NameSilo
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
I just have to ask if "restricted" members have all their posts moderated and manually approved before they show up?

Because it's now multiple times where the post of a member with restricted status has showed up that is:
1- Unprofessional.
2- Completely off-topic for the sole purpose of self-promotion.
3- Belittling or insulting of me or others.
4- Misrepresenting what was previously said.

I don't want the current team to be offended in any way .. because I've owned/admin'ed/moderated a large forum long ago and totally empathise that it's vastly more complicated and difficult than most would think (like A LOT more). But given the for profit nature of NamePros, and the fact that many of us pay to maintain the forum as well as make the owners profit (whoever they are), it might be time that you consider growing your moderation team so as to have the proper time and resources to analyse filtered posts a little more diligently.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just have to ask if "restricted" members have all their posts moderated and manually approved before they show up?

Because it's now multiple times where the post of a member with restricted status has showed up that is:
1- Unprofessional.
2- Completely off-topic for the sole purpose of self-promotion.
3- Belittling or insulting of me or others.
4- Misrepresenting what was previously said.

I don't want the current team to be offended in any way .. because I've owned/admin'ed/moderated a large forum long ago and totally empathise that it's vastly more complicated and difficult than most would think (like A LOT more). But given the for profit nature of NamePros, and the fact that many of us pay to maintain the forum as well as make the owners profit (whoever they are), it might be time that you consider growing your moderation team so as to have the proper time and resources to analyse filtered posts a little more diligently.
I am not aware of what you may be referring to. Although, in general, I feel the mods do a good job here on NP's. Of course mistakes and misunderstandings can and will happen as that is inevitable.

In general, I have the opinion that over moderating can be just as bad as under moderating. It's a fine balance. Over all NP's balances it well.

Just my thoughts. Hope you get things worked out @Ategy.com.

•••
Sigh .. I actually don't care so much about anything directed towards me .. as I usually don't really have any issue defending myself with logical arguments and facts. But it really bothers me to have this continuously happen because when I see such a reply .. I consider it as have been moderated ... so then I invest time in my usually very detailed/technical/logical reply. However .. often when the discussion furthers (usually with the other person continuing to do one or more of the 4 things I mentioned above), that's when the entire conversation gets moderated and all my time and energy invested in the debate/discussion gets flushed down the toilet. Earlier this month I saw many many hours of my personal time simply removed from the forum ... something that could have been avoided if the initial infractions had been properly caught the first time.

It's a bit of a separate issue, so I started a separate thread (which might better explain to you why I asked this particular question):
https://www.namepros.com/threads/namepros-whitewashing.1146593/

Today I was about to reply to a similar situation .. but couldn't be bothered because I feel like my time/energy isn't respected when this sort of thing happens.

Ironically I actually agree with you about the issues of over-moderation ... and THAT is actually my problem ... in that these initially allowed posts are subsequently deleted .. with the problem being that most posts made in reply are deleted. Might not be an issue for some who write a 3 word reply ... but as somebody who invests and contributes a vastly above average amount of time and energy per post, you could probably empathise with how excruciatingly frustrating it is for me ... akin to losing an important harddrive (something I'd never wish on my worst enemy .. lol)!

Also .. to be clear .. yes .. overall I think the mods do a good job. But the repeated instances of this happening, along with the sometimes longer periods for moderation combined that NamePros is a for profit forum to which I contribute to .. all add up to my thinking the current moderators could likely use an extra hand or two (well .. technically two or four I guess .. not that I want to discriminate against anyone with an odd number of hands).

Last edited:
•••
Sigh .. I actually don't care so much about anything directed towards me .. as I usually don't really have any issue defending myself with logical arguments and facts. But it really bothers me to have this continuously happen because when I see such a reply .. I consider it as have been moderated ... so then I invest time in my usually very detailed/technical/logical reply. However .. often when the discussion furthers (usually with the other person continuing to do one or more of the 4 things I mentioned above), that's when the entire conversation gets moderated and all my time and energy invested in the debate/discussion gets flushed down the toilet. Earlier this month I saw many many hours of my personal time simply removed from the forum ... something that could have been avoided if the initial infractions had been properly caught the first time.

It's a bit of a separate issue, so I started a separate thread (which might better explain to you why I asked this particular question):
https://www.namepros.com/threads/namepros-whitewashing.1146593/

Today I was about to reply to a similar situation .. but couldn't be bothered because I feel like my time/energy isn't respected when this sort of thing happens.

Ironically I actually agree with you about the issues of over-moderation ... and THAT is actually my problem ... in that these initially allowed posts are subsequently deleted .. with the problem being that most posts made in reply are deleted. Might not be an issue for some who write a 3 word reply ... but as somebody who invests and contributes a vastly above average amount of time and energy per post, you could probably empathise with how excruciatingly frustrating it is for me ... akin to losing an important harddrive (something I'd never wish on my worst enemy .. lol)!
I completely understand. I have felt those same emotions. I went on a holiday as a result. I'd rather you don't as your insight is much appreciated around here.

My advice..... Let it go...... For the most part your detailed insight is seen, recognized and appreciated.

I hope you see it that way soon and decide not to change your strATEGY.

Best to you!

•••
No, we have about ten different types of restrictions (e.g., no DM, no post, and no reactions), and only one type requires that we approve the member's posts.

We hope that helps.

•••
We hope that helps.

Not really ... which is that one type?

Because the posts in question show up delayed a few hours (often also taking the replies and thread discussion out of context)! Which wouldn't make sense unless they were delayed for moderation.

•••
which is that one type?
It's called High Risk, but only staff can see the type. Members will only see "Restricted" and nothing more specific, so it's currently not possible for a member to determine the type.

Because the posts in question show up delayed a few hours (often also taking the replies and thread discussion out of context)! Which wouldn't make sense unless they were delayed for moderation.
You can report the post, regardless of whether it was manually approved, for it to be reviewed. If it was approved, then you can help the moderator see something they may have missed, or the moderator can explain to you why they do not feel it is a rule violation.

In all scenarios, the best thing to do is to report the post if you have not done so already.

Thanks.

•••
OK .. that's all what I expected (aside from the 9 other categories .. lol). So if we see a post showing up delayed, then the member in question is obviously "High Risk", and that effectively his or her posts are held for moderation?

Have to admit to be rather disappointed in that case! :-/

•••
So if we see a post showing up delayed, then the member in question is obviously "High Risk", and that effectively his or her posts are held for moderation?
No, posts can be held in moderation for a variety of reasons, and that is only one of them. The most common reason is a false-positive for a spam trigger, where our spam-prevention software decided that the post was spam-like and it needed to be reviewed by a human to look for spam in it. If spam is not found in the post, then it will most likely be approved and might not be reviewed beyond whether it contains spam.

•••
@Support Team
I don't get it. You're holding back posts for moderation from "High Risk" existing members who have broken the rules likely multiple times to be classed as "High" .. only to have their posts be screened for spam and not the actual types of infractions that were "restricted" for in the first place?

If you aren't moderating their posts for the actual infractions they were "restricted" for in the first place, then you might want to stop moderating their posts .. as delaying the publication of posts often takes the discussion out of context ... so when you remove context from discussions from already highly problematic members, you're only adding oil to fire!

That being said .. I think a much more logical solution would be to actually ensure that moderated posts from "High Risk" members actually be moderated for the things those members were actually restricted for in the first place .. as opposed to just for spam! :whistle:

I'm actually thinking that's what's actually being done .. but just that some extremely obvious infracting posts got missed. (I'm not expecting perfection .. but please recognise that when replies I spent HOURS developing get subsequently deleted because they are no longer in context .. it is EXTREMELY INFURIATINGLY FRUSTRATING !!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
(sigh .. now you've got me using emojis .. lol)

I'm fairly sure that if someone just deleted hours of your work you'd feel the same way ... PARTICULARLY if they had the power to avoid it in the first place ...

Last edited:
•••
You may have overlooked that the post of a restricted member could be held back due to spam detection only and not because they're restricted as High Risk. As previously stated, there are many reasons accounts can be restricted, and only one causes posts to go into the moderation queue.

In other words, it could be that they are not high risk, they are restricted, and their post was held back for moderation due to potential spam in the post.

With that in mind, please read your question and the response again.

Last edited:
•••
Ok ... I see what you're saying now ... and it makes sense ...

However .. I'm 99% sure the member in question is "High Risk" because ALL of their posts have been held back .. including most with no links or anything else that could technically be construed as spam (admitting 100% that there are likely triggers I'm not aware of). And more importantly .. they have an extensive history of breaking the rules.

But more importantly .. some (including) the latest post in question were very short .. where the behavioural infractions should have been extremely obvious even if the post was just being manually looked over for spam.

Last edited:
•••
(I'm not expecting perfection .. but please recognise that when replies I spent HOURS developing get subsequently deleted because they are no longer in context .. it is EXTREMELY INFURIATINGLY FRUSTRATING !!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
(sigh .. now you've got me using emojis .. lol)

I'm fairly sure that if someone just deleted hours of your work you'd feel the same way ... PARTICULARLY if they had the power to avoid it in the first place ...
This was addressed here:

For the reasons explained in that post, we are now closing this thread because it is resolved. The solution is to report the problematic posts and to contact customer support to recover your recent deleted posts. Let's not spend hours discussing the nuances of that. Please report so we can address specific matters.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back