IT.COM

Resolved

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LOLed

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Believing the GoDaddy buyer had defaulted and the original sale would be cancelled, I initiated a new transaction directly on Escrow.com with the new buyer, who promptly made the payment.
Hi

since you only "believed" and did not "confirm",
then consequences are on you.

it would make sense to wait and confirm initial transaction was closed, before initiating new transaction.
when two different parties have to communicate an action on your behalf, you have to give ample time for that action to be initiated on both sides.

you can explain it to the last buyer, the same way you explained it here.

imo...

•••
Hi

since you only "believed" and did not "confirm",
then consequences are on you.

it would make sense to wait and confirm initial transaction was closed, before initiating new transaction.
when two different parties have to communicate an action on your behalf, you have to give ample time for that action to be initiated on both sides.

you can explain it to the last buyer, the same way you explained it here.

imo...
Thanks for your response. I do not disagree, however, I had requested cancellation 3 days before, and was told by GoDaddy to wait until 31st January, which I did, and then sent them an email to cancel, and after waiting for an hour, I started the other transaction.

I would understand if the sale was cancelled by Escrow.com citing the issue you mentioned, however they specifically emailed the buyer that I had requested cancellation of this sale which is incorrect.

•••
Unfortunately it happens , but you should’ve wait for confirmation from godaddy and escrow that the 1 transaction was cancelled.

Anyways , contact the 2 buyer and explain him the current situation.
I’m sure he will understand and proceed with the purchase.

Last edited:
•••
Very unfortunate, that you lost a sale due to godaddy

•••
Unfortunately it happens , but you should’ve wait for confirmation from godaddy and escrow that the 1 transaction was cancelled.

Anyways , contact the 2 buyer and explain him the current situation.
I’m sure he will understand and proceed with the purchase.
I have emailed that buyer, hoping for the best :)
Very unfortunate, that you lost a sale due to godaddy
Indeed, it's very unfortunate that I lost the sale, but I don't think GoDaddy was at fault in this situation.

Can't edit OP, so adding this here - I have not created this post to blame a company. I understand that misunderstandings happen, it's just the claim that "the seller cancelled the transaction" which I feel is incorrect.

Last edited:
•••
It would be nice to see the interaction between godaddy and escrow
Godaddy probably wasn’t very specific about the transaction to cancel , so escrow thought it was referred on both.

I hope it goes well for you , the buyer should understand the situation and proceed anyway if he wanted the domain.
Wish you good luck

•••
•••
I read your other thread a few days ago, It is unfortunate that you did not heed their advice 🤷

https://www.namepros.com/threads/got-an-offer-while-godaddy-sale-is-pending.1319437/
I waited until January 31st (~13 days from the auction end) as GoDaddy support told me to. I definitely should have waited until final cancellation confirmation but at that time the cancellation was pretty much confirmed based on my previous exchange with GoDaddy support. I did not want to lose another sale due to the first buyer's default. A buyer can always find another domain to buy.

If you read the GD response, they did not request cancellation of the other sale. It seems there might have been a misunderstanding on Escrow.com’s part, or a policy I'm not aware of that led to this situation. It's okay that they cancelled the sale, however the reason they sent to buyer that I requested the cancellation is incorrect, and that is what I am not sure about.

Last edited:
•••
Indeed, A little bit of impatience seems to have been the cause of failure here. We've all been there just itching on the trigger-finger. But know to back-off when circumstances dictate.. I had to smile at your comment " I waited an hour" after notifying Godaddy of the cancelation.

You had direct contact with your second buyer, so hardly any excuse not to be able to comprehensively explain a very feasible delay. You'd have thought it the new buyer itching to complete. Not you with two ducks in a row.

As for cancellation of any service or transaction. It's NOT unusual for a service provider to identify the service initiator as the requestee for cancellation. However it came about. I think any service would see it as a conflict with two live sales apparently in progress. Imagine Escrows difficulty if the first Godaddy sale suddenly sprung back to life

Last edited:
•••
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my recent experience with Escrow.com and wanted to know what you guys suggest I should do. Here's a brief overview:

Initial Transaction: I sold a domain on GoDaddy auctions around 2 weeks ago, and since the sale was over $5000, it was sent to Escrow.com. The buyer, however, defaulted. After no progress from the buyer and no response to 3 different emails I sent to them on different days, I reached out to GoDaddy's auction team to cancel the transaction. They replied that they are obliged to give the buyer a few more days to pay, and if I don't get a response by 31st January, I can send them an email for final cancellation.

New Direct Buyer: Meanwhile, I received a direct offer for the domain from another buyer. Following GoDaddy's advice, I waited until January 31st before proceeding with this sale.

On 31st January, as it was obvious that the buyer has defaulted, I sent GoDaddy the cancellation email as suggested, and based on the understanding that it will be now be cancelled, I proceeded with the direct buyer.

New Transaction on Escrow.com: Believing the GoDaddy buyer had defaulted and the original sale would be cancelled, I initiated a new transaction directly on Escrow.com with the new buyer, who promptly made the payment.

Cancellation of both transaction by Escrow.com - Upon GoDaddy's request to cancel their auction sale, Escrow.com cancelled both transaction involving the same domain, even though one transaction was completely independent and had nothing to do with GoDaddy. They also refunded the direct buyer, and emailed the buyer that "the seller has requested the cancellation".

I contacted Escrow live chat and was told to contact GoDaddy.

Here's what GoDaddy had to say -

The cancellation would have obviously made the buyer suspicious as the transaction was cancelled "by me" (which is incorrect) after they sent the payment. So, not only did I lose the GoDaddy sale due to bidder's nonpayment, I may have also lost the direct buyer.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation, or is there a policy at Escrow.com about this that I might be missing? How should I explain this to the buyer?

Wow. That is what I call bad timing. Try to contact the buyer again explain it to them. Maybe, they will try to buy the domain again.

•••
You had direct contact with your second buyer, so hardly any excuse not to be able to comprehensively explain a very feasible delay. You'd have thought it the new buyer itching to complete. Not you with two ducks in a row
I have emailed the buyer with all the details. I am hopeful for a positive outcome :)

The problem is that it was the buyer who notified me of the cancellation, and because the message said "The seller requested this cancellation", which might cause trust issues, specially since it was cancelled after they sent the money.
I think any service would see it as a conflict with two live sales apparently in progress. Imagine Escrows difficulty if the first Godaddy sale suddenly sprung back to life
That makes sense, however if they cancelled it because they can't allow two transactions for same item at the same time (although that was not my intention at all), should they email the buyer, that I requested them to cancel the transaction which I did not? That is the part I am confused about.

Last edited:
•••
Lets remember All of these services work to a best-fit scenario regarding responses and notifications. The last thing they would want (or intend) to do is Interpret your and Godaddys actions.

Blimey you should deal with Amazon more often, Now that's a real education in inappropriate conclusions on a daily basis ;)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back