Dynadot

discuss Repurposed CCTLDs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Some country-code top level domains have been marketed for more general usage. Among them...

.IO
.ME
.CO
.TV

Are there others? I never understood the logic of .me or .Io and viewed .co as an alternative extension for Colombia (default cctld for Colombia is .com.co)
While there are occasional reported sales of .tv and some end user adoption, from an investment vantage point it seems to have been mostly hype. Actually there seems to be more development on .CO

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some country-code top level domains have been marketed for more general usage. Among them...

.IO
.ME
.CO
.TV

Are there others? I never understood the logic of .me or .Io and viewed .co as an alternative extension for Colombia (default cctld for Colombia is .com.co)
While there are occasional reported sales of .tv and some end user adoption, from an investment vantage point it seems to have been mostly hype. Actually there seems to be more development on .CO

.ca = canada

sometimes used for california

•••
.cc too (no local market)
.to has been promoted to foreign users since the early days

•••
So are these extensions targeted more toward domain investors or how much serious development do we see in .me? Yes startups use .io but I do not recall ever using one for any online search or transaction.

•••
LA

and heres our pinterest page of .LA websites, over 1000 and growing.

https://www.pinterest.com/ladomains/la-domain-names-la-websites-and-use-cases/?lp=true

a GEO like LA is great for local, as it matches where you advertise, and with LA you get the global brand of the coolest city in the World.

Its re-purposed for Laos, and the extra funds they generate help them join the global tech community.

i guess id claw back on your comment on .TV, big time developed site MLB.TV Twitch.tv before amazon bought for a billion..

Page

•••
There are really 2 kinds of ccTLDs, one that operates as a gTLD and allows open use by foreign entities (.CO, .TV, .CC, .IO, .ME, .LA, etc.) and the second type that restricts use geographically in some way (.CA, .US, .UK, .DE, .CH, .CN, etc.) and operates as a ccTLD.

Other than who is allowed to own and develop these, Google also treats the two groups differently, with the first one viewed the same as .COM or any other gTLD for searches, while the second group gets a ccTLD search boost when viewed from within that country.

Last edited:
•••
In addition to those listed
I see .AI being sold more lately sometimes at very good prices for artificial intelligence.
Another addition I would note is .GG for global gaming applications in particular.
While many discount it, the .PW for professional web is far from dead.

Does anyone know where there is a current list of which country code ones Google treat as generic? There is a list here, but it is very old.

Bob

•••
Good catch on the .AI ccTLD, I forgot about that one.

•••
So are these extensions targeted more toward domain investors or how much serious development do we see in .me? Yes startups use .io but I do not recall ever using one for any online search or transaction.

It is true that .me is heavily used in small and personal use (Namecheap have given out first year registrations to authenticated students through their educational program) but there are significant use by businesses.

The Lime Bike people rebranded from a LibeBike.com to li.me for their website I think about a year ago. They are an innovative rapidly expanding company active in many countries.

There are of course a host of other examples, some of which like meet.me just use it for redirection to a .com but some like GoQR.me (a company that will do personalized print products with your QR code on them) operate directly from the .me TLD.

I suspect the recent 5 figure sale of MOX will go into company use soon.

Bob

Disclosure: I have 2 .me domain names in my portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
Can someone post an "official" definition of a repurposed ccTLD on the thread?

ie:

repurposed ccTLD: A country-code extension that although allocated and represents its corresponding country, has become marketed and used as a globally generic meaning rather than the country.

or something like that..

to add, .ws: Website, but is ccTLD for Western Samoa

•••
Page any high-profile .LA sites you are aware of?

•••
Can someone post an "official" definition of a repurposed ccTLD on the thread?
For the NP domaining dictionary thread.. will add if no objections... going once going twice

•••
I think the definition has to include something about availability, as true ccTLDs registrations are limited in some way by geography, while repurposed ccTLDs are open to the world.

•••
Back