IT.COM

Registrar loyalty?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How do you use Registrars?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

dotGLOBAL

.GLOBALVIP Member
.GLOBAL Staff
Impact
Just out of curiosity - what are the qualities you most value when deciding what registrar to use?

And, do you generally stick to one, or do you keep several different ones depending on the purpose with the domain name registrations?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Investing in different Tld's, stick with same registrar is not possible / good idea b'coz of highest registration prices.

Every registrar have lesser prices in some Tld's. so i will register domains from different registrar's depending upon Tld's.

•••
Price and customer service are most important for me. I find both of these excellent at Godaddy. I use Iwantmyname (great customer service and brilliant UX) for the new gTLDs but I don't buy too many of those.

•••
Investing in different Tld's, stick with same registrar is not possible / good idea b'coz of highest registration prices.

Every registrar have lesser prices in some Tld's. so i will register domains from different registrar's depending upon Tld's.

Thank you for answering. So price would be the most important factor for you when deciding then? Do you use a comparison site to find which registrar has the best price, or do you look around yourself?

•••
Do you use a comparison site to find which registrar has the best price, or do you look around yourself?

Price & support is very important. Mostly i'm using Domcomp to check the cheapest price for all tld's.

•••
I have accounts at multiple, but I only really use Namecheap. I'll only use another if I'm unable to use Namecheap.

•••
I keep coming back to godaddy because of the promo codes :laugh: but I am generally very happy with their service. Most of my portfolio is there, I have some "sniped" domains at pheenix and dynadot, but free to regs are the bulk of my acquisition so it seems them coupons are my main reason

•••
I have a default, preferred, registrar. I have no particular reason for selecting this one other than they offer all the services I want in one place. I'm not a particularly price sensitive customer though or I would probably diversify more. But because I buy domains from lots of sources I end up having accounts at about a dozen different registrars. Though some only have one or two domains.

•••
I have a default, preferred, registrar. I have no particular reason for selecting this one other than they offer all the services I want in one place. I'm not a particularly price sensitive customer though or I would probably diversify more. But because I buy domains from lots of sources I end up having accounts at about a dozen different registrars. Though some only have one or two domains.

So for the few domains that are still with other registrars than your preferred one, were these registered there because of price or because of something else? And is there any reason why you let them remain with that registrar instead of transferring them?

•••
The domains at other registrars were there because the previous owner had them there, not by my choice. I don't move them for a couple of reasons; 1) laziness - its a hassle to deal with all the codes to transfer and 2) Doing anything that might hinder my ability to quickly flip the domain if needed.

•••
Use around 20-33 registrars. Trying to use less but it takes time. Price, security and system are my crucial factors for choosing registrar. In this age I don't even want to use support, I expect the systems to work just fine.

I'm trying to move all my new g's to the same registrar but even though I do have a large discount they fail the price match v.s. some other registrars. ccTLD's makes it impossible to move everything there too.

•••
Use around 20-33 registrars. Trying to use less but it takes time. Price, security and system are my crucial factors for choosing registrar. In this age I don't even want to use support, I expect the systems to work just fine.

I'm trying to move all my new g's to the same registrar but even though I do have a large discount they fail the price match v.s. some other registrars. ccTLD's makes it impossible to move everything there too.

wow, 20-33. Impressive!

•••
While saving money is all good, I value customer service above it. When you match customer service with a great looking UI, and the use of live whois queries, you have a winner in my book. Because of this, I transfer all my names to Uniregistry when I can as it has all 3 factors: customer service, great ux, and price savings for large(r) portfolio holders.

•••
price savings for large(r) portfolio holders.

Could you either post or PM some examples of the pricing you get there as a "large portfolio holder"? I went and looked at their professional page, but they don't give any pricing as it looks like its all worked out per account. Also, do you know what constitutes a "large" portfolio?

•••
Could you either post or PM some examples of the pricing you get there as a "large portfolio holder"? I went and looked at their professional page, but they don't give any pricing as it looks like its all worked out per account. Also, do you know what constitutes a "large" portfolio?
I would say email [email protected] with the amount of domains that you would transfer in and see what they'll do for you.

•••
While saving money is all good, I value customer service above it. When you match customer service with a great looking UI, and the use of live whois queries, you have a winner in my book. Because of this, I transfer all my names to Uniregistry when I can as it has all 3 factors: customer service, great ux, and price savings for large(r) portfolio holders.

Indeed Uniregistry is great, my favorite atm. Would use them for all my domains if I could.

•••
Is the discounted price Uniregistry offers to larger portfolio holders a limited time offer (i.e. 1-x years), and subject to change/return to regular pricing later, or is it a "lifetime" price offer?

•••
Have always used Godaddy...I have never had any problem with them and their Customer Support is really good

•••
I think that good customer service is what will keep a customer loyal and stay with a registrar, given that their prices are not too much higher than the other registrars. It's worth it to pay a little more to use a registrar that has good customer service/support.

However, if the registrar has good customer service but is much higher with their prices then most domainers will shop around and use other registrars. This being that a domainer will have a lot of domains and the higher prices to register and renew domains can really add up if you have a lot of them.

I have tried several and have 2 main registrars that I use, Namecheap & GoDaddy.

Namecheap is a little more for renewals and registrations than some but their customer support / service is the best I have had. I have used their support for both domains and hosting and they were awesome each time. I have never had anything but great support.

GoDaddy is pretty good as well from my own experience, as far as domains go. One of my hosting accounts is with them and I had a couple of issues with their hosting support and they really screwed up and basically destroyed one of my websites.

I hadn't done a back-up in a while (my fault) because I was in the process of changing some things and they destroyed the site and I had no way to restore it so I had to completely rebuild it from scratch and that cost me money.

I kept dealing with their phone support and they kept breaking one promise after another on things they said they would do and things they said they would do in a time frame. They also made several promises on different calls to them to call me back after dealing with them on the phone and each time they did not.

Their people who you talk to on the phone are really nice usually and that makes them seem like their support was better than it was in actuality.

As far as domains though, I have never had any issues and their service was always good.

I would feel comfortable recommending both, depending on what exactly a person was looking for. If it's hosting, I could not in good conscience recommend GoDaddy however and that's based on my experience with them. Plus their resources are some of the lowest with their hosting plans compared to other hosts so it makes their hosting seem like a good deal but the fine print (RAM, etc.) is what makes it not a great deal if you are hosting more than one website.

I think that most domainers would use a single registrar if their prices and support were both good but sometimes it's not possible due to some extreme variations in reg & renewal prices on some of the more expensive extensions.

•••
I think that good customer service is what will keep a customer loyal and stay with a registrar, given that their prices are not too much higher than the other registrars. It's worth it to pay a little more to use a registrar that has good customer service/support.

However, if the registrar has good customer service but is much higher with their prices then most domainers will shop around and use other registrars. This being that a domainer will have a lot of domains and the higher prices to register and renew domains can really add up if you have a lot of them.

I have tried several and have 2 main registrars that I use, Namecheap & GoDaddy.

Namecheap is a little more for renewals and registrations than some but their customer support / service is the best I have had. I have used their support for both domains and hosting and they were awesome each time. I have never had anything but great support.

GoDaddy is pretty good as well from my own experience, as far as domains go. One of my hosting accounts is with them and I had a couple of issues with their hosting support and they really screwed up and basically destroyed one of my websites.

I hadn't done a back-up in a while (my fault) because I was in the process of changing some things and they destroyed the site and I had no way to restore it so I had to completely rebuild it from scratch and that cost me money.

I kept dealing with their phone support and they kept breaking one promise after another on things they said they would do and things they said they would do in a time frame. They also made several promises on different calls to them to call me back after dealing with them on the phone and each time they did not.

Their people who you talk to on the phone are really nice usually and that makes them seem like their support was better than it was in actuality.

As far as domains though, I have never had any issues and their service was always good.

I would feel comfortable recommending both, depending on what exactly a person was looking for. If it's hosting, I could not in good conscience recommend GoDaddy however and that's based on my experience with them. Plus their resources are some of the lowest with their hosting plans compared to other hosts so it makes their hosting seem like a good deal but the fine print (RAM, etc.) is what makes it not a great deal if you are hosting more than one website.

I think that most domainers would use a single registrar if their prices and support were both good but sometimes it's not possible due to some extreme variations in reg & renewal prices on some of the more expensive extensions.

Thanks for your detailed answer and giving us your view on this. What about in the case of an UDRP - would you use a registrar's consultancy service (if they have one) for this, a lawyer, or handle it yourself?

•••
Thanks for your detailed answer and giving us your view on this. What about in the case of an UDRP - would you use a registrar's consultancy service (if they have one) for this, a lawyer, or handle it yourself?
You are most welcome.

Well personally I haven't had a need for a service like that. I always try to stay away from and domain that has any seen potential for having to deal with an UDRP.

However, you never know when you might unwillingly have to deal with one. It would be a nice feature for a registrar to offer. I think that a registrar that was offing that service would be able to market that feature with domainers.

Since most domainers have dozens, hundreds and even thousands of domains there is a better chance that a domainer would benefit from offering that service since the more domains you have, the higher the chance that you might have to deal with a UDRP.

I really don't know how much of a deciding factor someone would use that as, but for someone who has gone through one, heard about someone else having to deal with one or thinks there is a potential they might have to deal with one then it might have value to them.

You might even be able to get people to look at it as kind of like an insurance feature.

•••
Hello,

I use about ten but would like to stick with about five.

Price, security and user friendliness are my three most important factors, as my domain renewal fees are about $15,000 a year.

At the moment, I prefer Dynadot, GoDaddy (with their Discount Domain Club), United Domains and Namecheap.

•••

I have heard negative reviews about Godaddy's hosting service and even I don't use them for it. They are good for registering domain names though. I use hostgator as my hosting provider and the service they provide is commendable. More than twice they have proved that they go out of their way to help their customers :)

•••
I have heard negative reviews about Godaddy's hosting service and even I don't use them for it. They are good for registering domain names though. I use hostgator as my hosting provider and the service they provide is commendable. More than twice they have proved that they go out of their way to help their customers :)
How long have you been with Hostgator?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back