IT.COM

advice Registrar Issue Need Help!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NilamDomain

Established Member
Impact
Hello,

For the past couple weeks I have been pretty overwhelmed because I have been reading how all of these domain registrars are good like Epik, Uniregistry, etc.. but I cant decide which one is good!! I'm currently using Godaddy and DynaDot. Can someone please let me know if I should just stick to Godaddy or use multiple registrars?

Thanks,
Nilam

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You're a recent member. Welcome!

How many domains do you have?

•••
If you have 10 domains or less I'd say stick with Godaddy, if you have over 11 domains and don't want to join club I suggest dynadot or namesilo.

•••
•••
•••
Hello,

For the past couple weeks I have been pretty overwhelmed because I have been reading how all of these domain registrars are good like Epik, Uniregistry, etc.. but I cant decide which one is good!! I'm currently using Godaddy and DynaDot. Can someone please let me know if I should just stick to Godaddy or use multiple registrars?

Thanks,
Nilam
You're new - we all were new at one time. And, most of us started on Godaddy - as it's the most well know registrar.

And, then we started building our portfolios - first 10, then 100, then thousands. Then we became active in the domain marketplace. AND THEN, we found out how a day at godaddy is a day of glitches, errors, bugs, and pain. Bugs and glitches that last for years.

I would avoid Godaddy at all costs.... JMHO. It has caused me, personally, way too much down time and too many stressful deals - because I can't push to another godaddy account, can't see the domains in my dashboard (error), unsent epp code emails from godaddy to my email (so you can transfer), and when that's broken you find out you can't export your domain list with the epp codes (as that is suddenly down), or you can't even login (periodic 404's). Nightmare stuff.

•••
You're new - we all were new at one time. And, most of us started on Godaddy - as it's the most well know registrar.

And, then we started building our portfolios - first 10, then 100, then thousands. Then we became active in the domain marketplace. AND THEN, we found out how a day at godaddy is a day of glitches, errors, bugs, and pain. Bugs and glitches that last for years.

I would avoid Godaddy at all costs.... JMHO. It has caused me, personally, way too much down time and too many stressful deals - because I can't push to another godaddy account, can't see the domains in my dashboard (error), unsent epp code emails from godaddy to my email (so you can transfer), and when that's broken you find out you can't export your domain list with the epp codes (as that is suddenly down), or you can't even login (periodic 404's). Nightmare stuff.
So what registrar do you recommend?

•••
Epik, Dynadot, namesilo.... Best prices and best overall registrars in my opinion - at least for domainers.

•••

It depends what your priorities are, Is it registration cost, Support, Interface, supporting services and add-on's. Are you planning to build or just park and hopefully sell . The list can be endless as to why one service can be better depending on different circumstances.

And of course if your looking out for 'Price-promos' then you'll be going wherever they are any way

Last edited:
•••
I have domains at GD but slowly moving to Epik as prices are 60%ish less there.

•••
I have domains at GD but slowly moving to Epik as prices are 60%ish less there.

Exactly the same here. I've never really had problems with Godaddy, apart from the day they dropped my Pro status and discounts without even the courtesy of telling me - But as a money saving exercise, I'll have them all switched to Epik within 10 months

•••
Hello,

Thanks,
Nilam

if I would have to decide that
( actually I do )

I'd go for Dynadot
and not for Godaddy
as I want to avoid them generally

and not for epik
for various reasons

•••
I'd recommend Namesilo and Dynadot. Both have nice low prices, and a long grace period (30 days or more) in case a domain expires.

•••
if I would have to decide that
( actually I do )

I'd go for Dynadot
and not for Godaddy
as I want to avoid them generally

and not for epik
for various reasons
Epik claims it has the cheapest rates and best lander etc. Any particular reason(s) why you would not recommend epik?

Last edited:
•••
Epik claims it has the cheapest rates and best lander etc. Any particular reason(s) why you would not recommend epik?

the cheapest rates can become the most expensive one day

I had registered a 5L .com
at networksolutions
for $1 USD

until today the nameserver
are not running on that name
and I don't know if it has traffic or not after 1 year

so I will not renew it at $35 USD

just an expample
nothing to with epik

do you believe in the Satan as a person?

do you think the holocaust
actually
in reality
was a vacation camp?

•••
That final comment, What is that

That's in VERY Bad taste Frank - You should know better :xf.eek:

I can't even bring myself to Quote it for point of reference

Last edited:
•••
I don't wan't everyone to give you a bad vibe most people move due to pricing more than problems.

•••
Hello,

Thanks,
Nilam
I used multiple registers at one time, Go Daddy, Epik, NameCheap, DynaDot, and Dominion Domains. I'm actually using just two now, Go Daddy and Dominion Domains. I picked up Dominion Domains because I thought they might partner with me for my .homes and real estate domains, but instead they tried to stick it to me by aksing $64,000 of a domain they knew I was interested in; HomeSweet.homes. But then when they found out how incensed I was, they actually offered to give it to me:xf.rolleyes:, and I actually declined because my ethical standard was way above theirs.

I've now made a conscious decision to use Go Daddy 100%. Why? When I was in the medical billing business years ago and sold computers to doctors offices we became a VAR (value added reseller) for IBM who the doc's we did business with knew and trusted. We could have sold a cheaper brand, buy that would have been penny wise and pound foolish on our part. The name IBM helped us to sell a lot more systems. I hope this helps.

•••
I have had names at most registrars. I now have almost 2,000 names at Epik. I avoid Go Daddy at all costs. As mentioned above the struggles are real there in regards to customer service.

At Epik, you will find the cheapest prices. Currently $7.49 for registrations and transfers, if you are a NamPros member and $8.49 renewals (.com) Go Daddy charges $8.47, but only if you join thier club for $89 per year.

I have found Epik's tools to be great. They monitor and list your name's whois traffic, Estibot value, Traffic and more, FREE. They also offer privacy at No Charge ($9.99 per year at Go Daddy) They have a great marketplace with free landers and a TRUE Buy it Now solution that move that accepts payment and moves the name immediately to the buyer's account. And they only charge 9%

As for service, that is what originally sold me on Epik. Several year's ago I had an issue and emailed Epik at about midnight my time. I figured I would get a return email the next day. However, within moments I got a response and solution. The email was from Rob Monster, the company CEO himself. I have had many encounters with Rob, who has done some amazing things for me ( I won't share publicly) and empowers his staff to be proactive in helping his customers out.

There are many great registrars out there. Epik is my number one choice. Behind that my next choices would be Dynadot and NameSilo. For me, the total value of Epik makes them number one.

•••
i personally use dynadot, hexonet, internetbs and namecheap. many times my cards don't go through these registrar then i have to use godaddy so yes, i do have few domains on godaddy.

•••
I used multiple registers at one time, Go Daddy, Epik, NameCheap, DynaDot, and Dominion Domains. I'm actually using just two now, Go Daddy and Dominion Domains. I picked up Dominion Domains because I thought they might partner with me for my .homes and real estate domains, but instead they tried to stick it to me by aksing $64,000 of a domain they knew I was interested in; HomeSweet.homes. But then when they found out how incensed I was, they actually offered to give it to me:xf.rolleyes:, and I actually declined because my ethical standard was way above theirs.

I've now made a conscious decision to use Go Daddy 100%. Why? When I was in the medical billing business years ago and sold computers to doctors offices we became a VAR (value added reseller) for IBM who the doc's we did business with knew and trusted. We could have sold a cheaper brand, buy that would have been penny wise and pound foolish on our part. The name IBM helped us to sell a lot more systems. I hope this helps.

ever since you, of course, sold much more names

Last edited:
•••
Hello,

Thanks,
Nilam

Godaddy has a very great renewal price :D, well i mean more expensive than the other registrars

•••
Dynadot & Porkbun are the best

•••
Namesilo is my personal favourite.Just simple to use and things are done efficiently

Most domainers use multiple registrars and as a new customer you may get some cheap regs but generally they can be more hassle than its worth ie exabytes will try and charge you for renewal even though its clearly turned off.Nomanalia cheap regs $35 to push lol.Directnic cheap reg but pushing the domain is a nightmare.All from personal experiences.

•••
Can someone please let me know if I should just stick to Godaddy or use multiple registrars?

Honestly, while I agree 110% with @Ja Kai, and GoDaddy's platform is a total mess, it still is the biggest in the industry, and if you're going to use their auction platform to buy names (a must for me as I focus on auctions/closeouts), then you don't have a choice but to use GoDaddy. They are slowly getting better, but there have been very serious bugs for years that have not been fixed. I reported a critical security bug at least 4 years ago, and it's still there today. I empathise with them because it's a really big ship and not as easy to fix things as people think .. yet there's still no other word for it but disastrous .. particularly if you're a bigger user as your chances of bumping into problems grow as your portfolio does.

Also, I wouldn't move your GoDaddy domains (or anywhere else), just for the sake of moving them. I use renewals (or a couple of months before) as the time to decide if/when I'm going to switch registrars. Remember that transfers are "effectively" free if you do it like that because while on paper you pay for a transfer, generally they are almost the same price as renewals, and come with a free renewal, so in the end it doesn't change your budget at all to move your domains as long as you're sure you'll be keeping them another year.

The most important thing as a domainer, is to keep your domains at registrars where they are easily available to end-users. Basically you should choose a registrar that has fast-transfer agreements with the big end user markets like Afternic and Sedo.

(Does anyone have a full official list of all such registrars? @Joe Styler @Paul Nicks?)

With all that out of the way, the other thing I recommend, just for portfolio management reasons alone, is try to limit your domains to the smallest number of registrars possible. A couple years ago I was using Name.com along with the bulk of my names at GoDaddy. These days I'm at Epik and obviously still GoDaddy because I buy 99% of my domain acquisitions there.

In all honesty, I originally chose Epik last year randomly because of pricing promotions. I was facing the choice transferring my domains from Name.com to Epik for $7.49, instead of renewing them at Name.com for something like $12.99 or $14.99. No big deal if you have 2-3 domains .. but when it's 200-300 and more domains, it's a big deal.

After that however, I actually like Epik for many of the reasons above. There are some very smart features integrated into their platform. Like 100% of registrars, they are not perfect and have little issues. But the difference with Epik is that I can email @Rob Monster with a bug or problem, and it's generally addressed in hours or days .. where as with GoDaddy, it can be years if ever. That to me is probably the biggest difference. The irony is, in my opinion, the staff at GoDaddy is actually great. Super nice, friendly and most will go the extra mile for you ... until they hit a wall where there is a problem in the platform that prevents them from doing something, or it's something they aren't aware of .. at that point communications seem to quietly slow. I actually feel bad for their staff sometimes. A couple of years ago before I completely gave up reporting bugs and issues, I'd sometimes actually start my emails to my GoDaddy rep with an apology because I felt bad that he had to be the buffer for all my technical issues and problems .. even worse in that he send them off to the various departments, and then I'd never hear anything back. Again though .. GoDaddy is a mush more complex platform than any other registrar .. the sad part is, that it has potential to be so much more! They are getting better .. but sometimes it feel like watching a snail crossing a continent! lol

For the record, at the moment my portfolio is split between Epik and GoDaddy, and I think I have one other domain at another registrar (you see the problem with having too many registrars, I'm not even 100% sure .. lol)

(Also .. almost all my domains that expire between now and the end of the year are at Epik)

Last edited:
•••
Back