Domain Empire

Registrar bankruptcy

NameSilo
Watch

QualityNames.com

Stand out from the crowdEstablished Member
Impact
Hi,

I am not sure if this thread already exists. But I am wondering what will happen to registered domains when a registrar goes bankrupt?

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have never seen it happen. Most likely the registry will put the domain on hold and contact the registrants so they can assign a new registrar.

•••
I believe it actually did happen once, and another registrar purchased their customer base. Several things could happen.

1. Assets including customer base purchased by another registrar.
2. ICANN assigns the customer database to one or more registrars.
3. Registry is run by the bankrupt company or a management company until financed are put back in order and the company returns from bankruptcy.

Probably the largest danger isn't what happens to your names, but what would happen to any positive cash balance you might have in your account with the registrar. Cash balances could make you a creditor and subject to any bankruptcy settlement.

•••
Thanks Mark. Your explanation is very clear.

•••
It happened to a company that I used to use a couple of years ago.

I never knew it went bankrupt at the time bt it seemed the owner lost interest completely. The company in question was firevision (see here and here). I was able to transfer the .com domain (as you could use the tucows interface) and was able to unlock them. But with .co.uk domain names I had to change the tags with some (cost me £15 each if I remember correctly). The domains I did not do ended up in the hands of another company that nominet selected. I never got informed by nominet. The first I knew was when the domains needed renewing and the other company actually contacted me telling me renewals were due.

If you have are able to you could always take registrar lock off if the domains are a .com the registrar doesnt have to do anything to initiate a transfer. with the .co.uk's it was a problem as the current registrar is the 1 who has to change the IPS tag when you transfer away.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back