IT.COM

Registrar abuse of power. Should I contact ICANN?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact
How to deal with this?

Is there anyone on the icann team that could be helpful in taking down a rotten registrar?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
It's an epic story but before I go there it is obvious some players are becoming increasingly desperate to survive in this business and steeping low as imaginable. I'm not surprised so many players have left

•••
Without knowing what you are referring to there is no way to advise you other than submit a complaint, if you have a valid one. You are not going to take a registrar down with one incident imo unless it is severe fraud, theft, illegal activity, etc. A misunderstanding between you and the registrar or you not liking their rules isn’t going to cut it.

•••
It's severe. Thanks for the input

•••
Contacting ICANN - if it is not a common issue like a failure to provide authcode or invalid whois (where webforms are provided by ICANN) - may not be an easy task. Best of luck though!

Since you characterized the issue as epic and severe one, you might indeed try to share more details... Not only the domainers, but also registrar reps are here @ NP - so you may receive some valuable insights.

•••
@jhmisher - this group is very good at helping sort through problems and get answers to whatever issues you are having. Please let us know more of what is going on ...

•••
  1. Every hacking/black hat technique under the sun
  2. Spying on me and my family
  3. Thousands of emails
  4. Serious threats (nail bombs, burglary, sell credit card)
  5. Never-ending harassment (over a year)
...off the top of my head

And looking at their customer reviews, customer have had other serious issues such as theft and being locked out of their accounts

I didn't want to make it public until most of my portfolio was removed

•••
  3. Thousands of emails

And looking at their customer reviews, customer have had other serious issues such as theft and being locked out of their accounts

Thats a matter for the police not a public forum.

•••
  • Every hacking/black hat technique under the sun
  • Spying on me and my family
  • Thousands of emails
  • Serious threats (nail bombs, burglary, sell credit card)
  • Never-ending harassment (over a year)

OMG.

ICANN Notices of Breach, Suspension, Termination and Non-Renewal:

https://www.icann.org/compliance/notices

(all correpondence with all terminated or non-compliant registrars. So far - nothing close to what you wrote about...).

Hope it helps.

•••
Somewhat similar case I can think of. Not too similar, but still....

The termination of ICANN-accredited registrar EstDomains is to go ahead, effective 24 November 2008.

On 28 October 2008, ICANN sent a notice of termination to EstDomains, Inc. (EstDomains) based on an Estonian Court record reflecting the conviction of EstDomains' then president, Vladimir Tsastsin, of credit card fraud, money laundering and document forgery.

Pursuant to Section 5.3 of the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA), ICANN may terminate the RAA before its expiration when, "Any officer or director of [a] Registrar is convicted of a felony or of a misdemeanor related to financial activities, or is adjudged by a court to have committed fraud or breach of fiduciary duty, or is the subject of judicial determination that ICANN deems as the substantive equivalent of any of these; provided such officer or director is not removed in such circumstances."

•••
  3. Thousands of emails

This is too much. Report this to the police, the sooner you do the better.

What's the registrar? I would share the name. If you expose them, "Never-ending harassment (over a year)" will most likely stop. Do they have any representatives here?

•••
I hope you have kept all proofs. I agree this is a matter for the police. Later down the road, it would be nice to know the registrar so that we can avoid it.

•••
•••
•••
Dynadot? Too unlikely. They are too big... so they would have no time to do such things in the first place...

Last edited:
•••
Wish I had the imagination to make it up but I don't. Also, no benefit of putting it out there.

And the bigger the entity the more unethical, in general. Check out their raving reviews

•••
@jhmisher - obviously, as noted above, all the details are for the police, not for a public forum. So, you should not post extra details here nor we the readers should ask for more details (even though I admit that I wanted to ask to post more evidence initially). From such an "external" point of view, as we are not the parties in this story, the best thing that can be done at this time imo is to bookmark ICANN Notices of Breach, Suspension, Termination and Non-Renewal link ... and to review it periodically as a matter of general interest (not to track issues with any particular registrar):

https://www.icann.org/compliance/notices

Check out their raving reviews
On this forum, Dynadot won "the best registrar" 2020 poll (excluding employee votes) and also won "the most secure registrar" 2020 poll (both with and without employee votes).

•••
A strong China connection also if you do a little more research

•••
  3. Thousands of emails

Dynadot everyone

DYOR

Well, you're here making accusations. If you're not going to post any proof, I'd have to say this is slander and defamation of character. So, where's the proof?

@Dynadot

•••
•••
Well now I know this is likely some personal vendetta against @Dynadot. There are hundreds and thousands of domainers here happily using Dynadot. Only complaints you can find on them are payout policy and people pissed when the owner claws back an auction they won.

You want us to believe your enormous accusations that they personally are attacking you and nobody else? If you have a valid complaint take it to the proper authorities.

•••
Well now I know this is likely some personal vendetta against @Dynadot. There are hundreds and thousands of domainers here happily using Dynadot. Only complaints you can find on them are payout policy and people pissed when the owner claws back an auction they won.

You want us to believe your enormous accusations that they personally are attacking you and nobody else? If you have a valid complaint take it to the proper authorities.
to be fair it could be an employee THIS

•••
to be fair it could be an employee THIS
"Could" is not proof. If someone is going to come to a public forum and make such serious accusations, we need proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

•••
nvm

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back