Dynadot

Registrant domain available

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I found an expiring domain and found out that the admin contact's email domain is available. Is it illegal if I register the registrant email domain and try to get the expiring domain this way? What's the recommended course of action that won't bite my in the a** later ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
let it expire and register it, otherwise I think it is considered theft if you know what that is.

Last edited:
•••
The domain is expiring & the email expired: I don't think that the previous owner is interested in that domain anymore!

•••
The domain is expiring & the email expired: I don't think that the previous owner is interested in that domain anymore!

Registering the email for your use is fine but if you register that email and pretend to be existing owner and take the domain in your name then it is called theft by misrepresentation. You are pretending to be someone you are not.

Also, we are not in a position to judge whether the previous owner is interested or not in the domain anymore until the domain has fully dropped.

Last edited:
•••
And every year i wait out on names over the holiday period and keep waiting the approx 70 days from expiry so i can get my hands on them and they left it to last moment last year and i know one expired last few days and i will play this waiting game again i won't back order it as i probably made others aware trying that in past.

Even if it was never disputed a reputation with your peers might be of way more value.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the advice all. Of course stealing the name was never an option. But I did get some interested parties email me through the contact email address. So this might still be an opportunity to broker the sale of the domain if I can get a hold of the current owner (who did renew the name by the way).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back