NameSilo

.ca Register a .ca in French!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Starting January 13, 2013, you can register a .CA with French characters.

You will soon be able to register.CA domain names properly in both official languages
- CIRA is introducing support for the full range of French characters, such as û, à, ç, ë, and œ.

Here’s how accented French characters for .CA will work:

The domain name registration process will remain the same – you will search for an available domain name
and use a CIRA-certified Registrar to register it.

When French characters are introduced to .CA, every French character variant of a registered .CA domain name
will automatically become part of an administrative bundle.
For example, the bundle for cira.ca would include variants such as cirà.ca, çira.ca, cîra.ca, çïrâ.ca,
and all other combination of accented French and standard ASCII characters.

Once a domain name is registered – either ASCII or IDN – all the variants of that domain name in the administrative bundle
will be reserved,
and unable to be registered by anyone except the existing Registrant for the domain name.

Each variant in an administrative bundle you wish to use will have to be registered individually,
and each registered domain name in the administrative bundle will have its own lifecycle.

All domain names within an administrative bundle will have to be registered to the same Registrant
and with the same Registrar.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
With about 23 percent of the Canadian population or about 7 million Canadians speaking french on a daily basis I could see where this would be beneficial to this domain extension as it actually has a use and an alright population number to back it up. Although my keyboard does not allow me to type these characters so I wont be registering any of them. lol

•••
IDNs were recently introduced in .fr and they account for approx 1.5% of new registrations, many of which must be defensive.
I don't think there are a lot of opportunities. Now you never know, a few might have type-in.

•••
Finally they thought about French speaking Canadians! :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5l0PD80u9k"]Follow The Rules - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
•••
Although my keyboard does not allow me to type these characters so I wont be registering any of them. lol

My keyboard doesn't allow me to either, however I still may grab a couple
as they will only be available once :)

•••
How do you say "Please leave the country you lazy,no good,rebellious,wallet draining,pond scum" (in french).ca

I wanna get that one.
Thx.

•••
^No idea, I don't speak french.
But probably sounds better in it LOL

•••
We've invested a fair bit in French (non-IDN) names & minisites and are quite happy with the results - 7 million French Canadians ; most in Quebec but plenty in Maritime & Eastern Ontario is a nice enough market to address...

While it's finally good of CIRA to support accented characters, I also think it will be primarily defensive registrations.

Most search engines & people have become accustomed to typing in non-accented French characters for domains... and the search results always show the equivalent basic ASCII site results as long as the content as relevant to the term of course.

$0.02

•••
If the french bundles are already reserved for the ascii owner, then there really wouldn't be any need to defensively register them, right?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back