IT.COM

question Regarding the new digital currencies

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi
As most of you know that there are many new digital currencies appear lately, and people start register the domains related to them:

- Ripple
- Ethereum
- NEO
- Cardano
- Stellar
- Tether
- Litecoin
- Monero
- IOTA
- Dash
- Tron
- Steem
- Verge
And many other names.
Are the names above trademark names ? or anyone could register domain names related to it ?
I am talking about the new digital currencies in general.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think you have raised an interesting issue. I am also curious about trademarks.In particular the registration of ripple and xrp domain names. I have a few of these and also with the huge expansion of ripple i see lots of merchandise using ripple names. Given that the use of the domain names is growing and will be very difficult to police, i guess a set of clear guidelines will need to be established ?

•••
But bitcoins are pretty famous right.

•••
I suspect it will all come down to the organisation that is running the currency, and how you use it.
"RMG gold" is trademarked by the Royal Mint I believe, Bitcoin is open source and in the public domain. If it was trademarked, then the parallel chain Bitcoin Cash wouldn't be able to use that name.

I've got an interesting name - BitcoinWax.com , and this includes WAX which is the token used by OPSKINS for virtual asset exchanges. It looks as if it may be possible to register a domain name on their blockchain, but I need to look into this a bit further before confirming this. "wax" is probably not a registered trademark, as a scammer has already released a fraudulent air drop,

•••
Yes i was thinking also that it would come down to the organization and how its used. Thanks for the useful comments and would be interested to hear what others have to say esp if they have ripple and xrp names.

•••
Many (if not all, I didn't check. Source: https://www.trademarkia.com/ ) names you've mentioned have multiple trademarks filed but not necessarily related to cryptocurrency.

•••
Thats right. As an example ripple car company and also ripple trademark for cheese yoghurt and dairy products.

•••
I think you have raised an interesting issue. I am also curious about trademarks.In particular the registration of ripple and xrp domain names. I have a few of these and also with the huge expansion of ripple i see lots of merchandise using ripple names. Given that the use of the domain names is growing and will be very difficult to police, i guess a set of clear guidelines will need to be established ?
I have eripple.net and some people say it is a trademark and the other say no it is now, but i decided to keep it for now

•••
•••
some are some aren't.

ripple says on their site not to reg their domains

not sure about others

cheers

•••
•••
I have ===== and some people say it is a trademark and the other say no it is now, but i decided to keep it for now

I'm not a lawyer. Keep the intended usage of the name in mind. If the associated website is about cryptocurrencies, you may be in trouble sooner or later. If eripple is all about your mom and pops French Knitting business, you may be safe (but, even then history tells us....).

•••
Ripple are another of the digital currencies.

•••
I stay away from all those names due to this exact topic.
I keep to coin, crypto, bitcoin, btc... etc..
I think once they get big enough and well established they will start protecting their integrity.

•••
I have ripple8.com which i will also hang onto for now. Crypto is also a trademark though.

Last edited:
•••
I have ripple8.com which i will also hang onto for now. Crypto is also a trademark though.
You learn something new everyday. Thanks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back