Domain Empire

.tv Reduced Legacy Premium Renewals on .TV Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I went to renew Credit.tv the other day, expecting to pay $1,650 for the renewal, but to my delight was only charged $1,313. The domain was a few days past the expiration date, but Politics.tv and Tea.tv in the account won't expire for several months and the usual renewal fees of $500 and $250, respectively, have been reduced to $488 and $235. I am hoping these reductions will never be reversed by Verisign as I believe they have a stated policy of not increasing the amount of legacy premium .tv renewals (somebody correct me, please, if that's wrong).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You've been paying $1650/yr for Credit.TV?

•••
Since 2007.

Last edited:
•••
Wow! That is around 16K$ paid.

Maybe I am not getting why credit in your opinion goes so well with .tv? What kind of project would it be?

•••
In my opinion any product or service that is advertised on television is well suited for a .tv domain. Credit.tv could be used for anything Credit.com could be used for, featuring informational videos. It might even be a better domain for advertising, because when people see a .tv domain advertised they expect to find video there - and people love video.

•••
With that being said, Dynadot is increasing renewals to $29.99 on Sept 1 due to the .TV registry increasing prices. Name.com is now at $35 as well. They are making the money up somewhere.

A

•••
With a thousand TLD options I believe one needs to be cautious about keywords that don't make sense with video. When the only other alternative was .Net maybe it could be justified but things have changed. Several years ago I had a few hundred more .TV domains than I do now. But even the ones I have kept rarely get offers. .TV makes sense with video content but more often I see video channels on Youtube without any domain at all - even though they brand their channel ---- TV. The best thing about .TV is it taught me to avoid the new TLDs like a plague - premium renewals are rarely going to work out well for the investor. FYI I let Lend.tv drop even though it was regular renewal.

•••
Thanks for sharing, garp. Let me know before you let other .tv domains drop, I might want to buy.

•••
Agreed. Please list your names that you are not interested in keeping.

•••
•••
wonder why price has gone down a little ,maybe with all the alternatives video media show ect

•••
Agreed. Please list your names that you are not interested in keeping.

No one seems to be buying even at fair reseller value though.

•••
I still believe .TV makes sense for video-oriented websites but it is one thing to believe .TV is a good fit for a video channel and a totally different thing for an end user to open their wallet to buy your domain. With Youtube and Facebook there is no need to spend serious money on a domain to have an online presence.

Domains expired which I do not plan to renew:
Tabletas.tv
Exposicion.tv

Domains which I dropped in the last several months some may have been picked up
Paintings.tv
Computadores.tv
Morelia.tv
AgenciadeModelos.tv
WeddingGowns.tv
Cosmeticos.tv
RopaFormal.tv
Querer.tv
Mamita.tv
TexMex.tv
Liliana.tv
OnlineStore.tv
Gauchos.tv
EscueladeNegocios.tv
JuegosenLinea.tv
ExoticPets.tv
GourmetMeals.tv
Mejico.tv
ComidaMexicana.tv
WeddingPlanners.tv
Floristeria.tv
Divertirse.tv
CaribbeanVacations.tv
Republicano.tv
HomeImprovements.tv
EuropeanVacations.tv
Contabilidade.tv
BallGames.tv

•••
•••
I have said for the last two years that I don't believe .com has been affected by the new gtlds but I do believe .tv and .me have. Again IMO

•••
I have said for the last two years that I don't believe .com has been affected by the new gtlds but I do believe .tv and .me have. Again IMO
.me for sure, .tv I don't think so. I think that there has been a lot of money wasted by domainers on new gTLD that could have been used on the secondary market, but that's something that has affected all the extensions, but in terms of end-user I think it's business as usual. Just my opinion

•••
•••
•••
•••
Not too surprising for a niche specific extension

•••
XYZ has like 5M reg but it's still an extension I wouldn't invest 1$ on. So I don't think it's a matter of figures.

•••
.me for sure, .tv I don't think so. I think that there has been a lot of money wasted by domainers on new gTLD that could have been used on the secondary market, but that's something that has affected all the extensions, but in terms of end-user I think it's business as usual. Just my opinion

There are still some end user sales agreed Donnie I just think the volume is down, and the wholesale market disappeared, we did more wholesales just in this subforum from 2005 to 2009.

•••
.me is not cheap, so 1MM names is impressive.

.tv is double .me price, so hard to have the same number of regs.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back