IT.COM

Redeemed by original owner?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BeachLife

Established Member
Impact
Got a pretty nice aged expired name on GoDaddy auction about a week ago. Paid for it right away and have been waiting for it to be transferred. I was able to see the ORIGINAL OWNER'S name on WHOIS the last time I checked so all was good, or so I thought.

However, today the domain was refunded to me on GoDaddy and it has gone to namesilo according to WHOIS. GD rep said it was redeemed by the original owner so I can't have it anymore, hence the refund. But I don't understand why suddenly the WHOIS info has become completely private (contrary to its previous status showing the owner's name, address and everything).

I can't really tell if I just got robbed somehow by someone or if it really is a case of a domain being claimed by the 'original owner'.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is a potential with every expiry auction. To avoid this a little bit-- wait the full 48 hours to pay (in case owner reups it then) and/or only buy the buy it now closeouts. At least they give the refund no problems.

•••
now I'm worried. (check my recent post Weedbio.com):nailbiting:

What kind of bs is that? well I guess if you put yourself in the shoes of thee past owner. as domainers we "can" appreciate that. but we don't have to "like" it. lol:xf.wink:

I wonder how much the old owner paid?

•••
It's just strange to see that now the owner name has been masked by Private, unlike his previous practice. I would hate to think that someone ELSE sneaked in and did something internal (it's a pretty nice name, like I said, as I thought I got lucky!)

•••
It's very likely that the original owner transferred the name from GD to NS because of the renewal price, privacy at NS is set as default. The name isn't yours until after it technically enters your GD account, otherwise it still belongs to the previous owner.

•••
I would hate to think that someone ELSE sneaked in and did something internal

It wouldn't surprise me...had a few shady things happen to me over the years with them...only have about 20 names left there...after tomorrow it will only be one to keep the account open. Keep an eye on that name and see if it somehow ends up changing hands.

•••
I am gonna call the original owner to offer to buy the name from him directly. I suspect he will tell me one of the two things right away: (1) it's NOT for sale, or (2) he will tell me HE'S NO LONGER the owner.

Then I will know which is which.

•••
Keep an eye on that name and see if it somehow ends up changing hands.

Even if it really was some internal tactic and it goes on sale again down the road, I can't really report it to the domain police :vomit: Like Billionaire said, the name is not mine until it's in my account (especially they 'promptly' refunded me!)

•••
I am gonna call the original owner to offer to buy the name from him directly. I suspect he will tell me one of the two things right away: (1) it's NOT for sale, or (2) he will tell me HE'S NO LONGER the owner.

Now I understand why DNDETECTIVE.COM is a premium domain. Watching this for the thrill and suspense.

mobile-hand.png

•••
The name isn't yours until after it technically enters your GD account, otherwise it still belongs to the previous owner.
I don't believe this is 100% correct. If I remember correctly, even though the domain transfer to your account, there is still another day or so that Godaddy can still take it out of your account.

•••
I don't believe this is 100% correct. If I remember correctly, even though the domain transfer to your account, there is still another day or so that Godaddy can still take it out of your account.

They want to (or they can) take it out of the new user's account because ... they found a better way to monetize it? That's pretty slimy.

•••
They want to (or they can) take it out of the new user's account because ... they found a better way to monetize it? That's pretty slimy.
No, I think it has something to do with when they auction a domain off and the number of days the original registrant can renew it.

•••
At one whatsapp marketplace group I recently bought few domains from a owner all of which were in godaddy expired auction later i transferred them away at namesilo. so you can PM me about the domain name and maybe you can still get it. :)

•••
May be someone purchased from owner,and transferred it to namesilo (because high renewal price at GD 80$).
AND ITS OBVIOUS WHOIS PRIVACY IS FREE ON NAMESILO,VERY SIMPLE CASE.

Last edited:
•••

Give it up and move on... except you already have a buyer for the name, I see no reason for the hassles.

•••
No, I think it has something to do with when they auction a domain off and the number of days the original registrant can renew it.

yes, Indeed. I do know Godaddy place names into their auction prior to the full redemption period. I've pulled one or two back from that Brink situation myself. and I also understand Godaddy do honour transfers out (providing it's within the 45 day redemption period) which seems to me to be the best way to save on the $70 charge. So things may indeed add-up if the original owner was aware of all his options.

going back a couple of years - it was while just searching a couple of my expired .com domains that it came-up as reached a few hundred dollars in Godaddy auction, I had a Godaddy executive account at the time, and wasn't even charged a redemption

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back