Dynadot

Really large disk storage hosting?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact
I deal databases that are usually very huge as 5GB - 20GB and I have lots of them. I probably need 1TB disk storage that is cheap and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Checked out Rackspace cloud files and I wouldn't pay that much for something like this. Amazon aws is even more expensive.

Anyone knows any good cheap hosting that comes with large disk storage? Shared hosting is fine because my website has low traffic and is all (almost) static.

So cloud storage is my only option? Any cheaper solutions other than Rackspace or Amazon?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When in doubt, contact the host prior to signup. database size is sometimes not advertised on a hosts website.

I've personally never dealt with databases that size, but I've been on shared hosts where I only learned of the max size when I actually reached it, and they were far less than 5GB. So I'm thinking shared hosting is probably out of the question, especially when you are talking about TB storage. I've had a vps that didn't even have that.

With datbases, another important question to ask the host (which I didn't learn about until it was too late), is the number of concurrent database connections allowed.

•••
Out of curiosity, what sort of budget do you have for this? Perhaps you should consider getting your own server

•••
I dont offer that service. But, It would be easy to suggest something if we know your budget.

•••
•••
Isn't dreamhost offering unlimited storage and bandwidth at about hundred dollars per year?

•••
there isn't such thing as unmetered storage...

•••
DreamHost .. Unlimited .. It is true!

Have you checked DreamHost?

Truth in advertising?

UNLIMITED Storage
UNLIMITED Bandwidth
Plus many more features!
All for just $8.95/mo!

I have been a customer since 2009.

there isn't such thing as unmetered storage...

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
why rapidshare was gazilion servers when all they needed was a simple account on dreamhost...
i pity all the file servers fools

•••

Truth in advertising?

UNLIMITED Storage
UNLIMITED Bandwidth
Plus many more features!
All for just $8.95/mo!

They have storage fine print at all providers ..not to be used for storage, basically.

The answer depends on how the data is used, imho. How much transfer, purpose etc.

Have you called and asked anyone? Your request is atypical really .. You just want permanently allocated storage - some providers may accommodate this vs on demand storage. Especially in a managed hosting env.

Im guessing.

I just bought 2 1TB drives for a NAS and they are roughly $100 a piece so how cheap do you want?

•••
They have storage fine print at all providers ..not to be used for storage, basically.

The answer depends on how the data is used, imho. How much transfer, purpose etc.

Exactly. I personally have a couple of shared hosting accounts, one of which is Dreamhost. And I recall they answered this question awhile back in their forum or faq.

You can't just use it as a storage service. The data has to be directly associated with the running of your website.

Part of the reason is so you don't turn it into a download site, or into your own PC backup service. At Dreamhost, they don't even want backups of your websites to stay in the main webspace - they provide a special personal backup account for you.

•••
What's your budget? Location preference?

•••

Truth in advertising?

UNLIMITED Storage
UNLIMITED Bandwidth
Plus many more features!
All for just $8.95/mo!

There is no such thing as "unlimited" hosting - it is a marketing ploy. Try upload 10 TB worth of data on your account and see if they continue to host you at $10/mo ;)

•••
Avoid unlimited offers if you want to have a good performance for your website, go with a company which offers strictly dedicated to you resources.

•••
For 1TB and big databases you are going to need to get a dedicated.

•••
Isn't dreamhost offering unlimited storage and bandwidth at about hundred dollars per year?

Yep. I myself is hosted at DreamHost but I don't believe in such a unlimited thing is real - there got be some mark out there when they won't tolerate my disk storage consumption any more and would find a reason to get me out. After asking this in the official forum, seemed there are shared hosting customers who are using TBs of disk space without getting banned.

However I'm a firm believer in price value - you get what you pay for. I'm not going to store my TBs of mission-critical data on shared hosting that's just $100 a year even if they let me. I will very probably regret it.

After some research, I think I'll wait for http://dreamhost.com/cloud/dreamobjects/pricing/ to be released. They are currently in beta and the prices look very nice.

•••
What is your budget ? If you don't need RAID etc, then you could go for a simple dedicated server and could come cheap.

•••
For the better performance and full control, I'd recommend to get a dedicated server, if the VPS not enough.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back