IT.COM

question Question regarding 10-year max domain renewal

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bean

Top Member
Impact
Hey guys, I have a domain that is currently renewed till Jan 12, 2031. I would like to move it to a different registrar but I'm not sure if this means I'll miss out on the extra year that gets added with a transfer.
Am I correct to assume the domain will be renewed normally till Jan 12, 2032 after the transfer? It's already August 2022 which means the total time I'll be holding the domain will still be less than 10 years? Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I tend to go for 8 years to allow myself a couple of registrar changes if needed. Is it possible to switch registrars for a domain that’s maxed at 10 years? I had to wait to transfer one a couple years ago because of that.

•••
I tend to go for 8 years to allow myself a couple of registrar changes if needed. Is it possible to switch registrars for a domain that’s maxed at 10 years? I had to wait to transfer one a couple years ago because of that.
Yeah, if the domain is already renewed for the max 10 years, your registrar won't let you initiate a transfer out. For instance, my above domain, after transfer, has an expiration date of Jan 12 2032.
2022 to 2032 is counted as 10 years even though in actuality the total time I'll be holding the domain is less than 10 full years since it's already August 2022. I won't be able to transfer again this year, I'll have to wait till after Jan 12 2023 to be able to transfer again.
I normally stick to one registrar for my long term domains and don't transfer out. The only reason I even have domains at other registrars is because of promotional offers for new domain registrations.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back