Domain Empire

Question about Overture

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Maybe a stupid question but...

Why do people publicize Overture numbers during domain sales? Its not like the overture links go to that site? Plus if you start advertising on Overture its not going to get you a higher rank?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Right - a lot of sellers do this. It really just shows potential i guess.. of what it could be to the buyer. keyword domains do give a boost in the rankings.

But in the end you have to know how to use it with search engine optimization.

•••
OVT numbers give an indication of how popular the domain's keywords are as a search term. Good keywords can be used for search engine optimization, and there's a good chance there will be direct type-ins to the domain.

•••
Hi,

Have to agree with the above, plus some personal observations.

If someone quotes Overture stats then they might be trying to over sell the domain rather than quoting actual visitors.
The overture stats will give you an idea of how frequently a word or combination of keywords is searched for, however serch engines do now have much better algorythms and will actually rely a lot more on the actual content of a site rather than just the domain name.
Having said that if you take two sites with near enough the same content then the one with the better keywords in the domain ( and hence Overture ranking ) will probably come higher.

Personally I do not really take overture rankings that much into account when buying a domain, I more more interested in present traaffic and the potential of the actual domain name to be remembered.

Just my opinion :)

All the best

Richard

•••
Simply put, if a lot of people are searching for a similar term to the domain name, then its likely a number of them will find that associated domain. Overture is just another indicator.

•••
Like any market ... the more people that are searching through it ... then the more traders that will be there :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back