IT.COM

Quality vs quantity ($1 promotions)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Question for the folks who don't really hand register names anymore and just focus of aftermarket purchases - do you still take advantage of $1 registrations?

We ocasionally have $1-2 promotions at domain.com/dotster/netfirms, happy hour at name.com or black friday deals.
But let's be honest - there are expired auctions on Godaddy, Namejet pre-release, many dropcatching companies and thousands of domainers who study lists of dropped names.
By the time you have a promotion there's really not much left. And all that garbage just clutters your account and is hard to manage...

I'm not sure if I will bother with Black Friday this year...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have 500 domains in my spreadsheet waiting for those $1 promos :)

•••
I have 500 domains in my spreadsheet waiting for those $1 promos :)
What price do you put on names like that - low to sell more/faster or high to maximize profit (even though the chances of selling within 12 months drop significantly)?

•••
What price do you put on names like that - low to sell more/faster or high to maximize profit (even though the chances of selling within 12 months drop significantly)?

I usually put them on Make Offer.... so as to encourage ANY inquiries. I like inquiries, they show the domain has some potential.

•••
I had 450 domains bought last year using domain.com and family 1-2$, other 66( my list wasn't ready) for 0,31$ from a european registrar and around 100 other under 5$ at different registars. I have sold over 300 of them to other resellers for liquidity, around 28$ average and 16 end user sales. I have dropped/will drop around 150 of them and renew the rest, so for me it's worth it, but it's time consuming so I need to be more efficient.

•••
I had 450 domains bought last year using domain.com and family 1-2$, other 66( my list wasn't ready) for 0,31$ from a european registrar and around 100 other under 5$ at different registars. I have sold over 300 of them to other resellers for liquidity, around 28$ average and 16 end user sales. I have dropped/will drop around 150 of them and renew the rest, so for me it's worth it, but it's time consuming so I need to be more efficient.
So what was the overall cost/profit?

•••
I don't have an exact amount, just some rough amounts: investing around 1,2k-1,3k to acquire, reseller sales over 10k now+ 16 end user sales, so I should say I'm doing a good job. My next plan is to get more efficient, to keep the cost of acquisition as low as possible but to improve to ratio reseller sales/end user sale....so hopefully for the next year I will sell just half of the amount from this year to resellers and double the end user sales.

•••
I don't have an exact amount, just some rough amounts: investing around 1,2k-1,3k to acquire, reseller sales over 10k now+ 16 end user sales, so I should say I'm doing a good job. My next plan is to get more efficient, to keep the cost of acquisition as low as possible but to improve to ratio reseller sales/end user sale....so hopefully for the next year I will sell just half of the amount from this year to resellers and double the end user sales.

What about end user sales, did use BINs or Make Offer, and if BIN, were they on the high or low end ?

•••
What about end user sales, did use BINs or Make Offer, and if BIN, were they on the high or low end ?
I use mostly BIN with make offer, but mostly they are low xxx to low xxxx, just around 20% of my names are priced mid xxxx and up. It creates liquidity and the vast majority of my names are hand reg, so even selling at xxx or at low xxxx, my ROI is more than decent.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back