IT.COM

Qualification to register certain extensions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Yesterday was the first time I have ever registered a .us domain name and I notice that there is a "nexus" requirement (that the registrar is a US citizen or permanent resident e.g. if he's an individual)

Are there similar qualification requirements for other extensions?

I know ".org" is supposed to be for non-profits but I never had to make a declaration before.

How about ".net" What was it's original audience supposed to be? I guess ".com" is quite self-explanatory ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.com .net .org .info are open to anyone to register for any purpose. .biz is pretty much open, but has a few restrictions on what you can do with your domain.

.ca (canada) and .us have nexus requirements.

Other ccTLDs are on a case-by-case bases as decided by those countries. Many like .cc, .ws, .ms are open to all, while some like italy's .it are more restrictive.

•••
Thanks RJ. My experience has so far been limited to .com/.net/.org addresses. This is great to know!

•••
Unless the name is great, it's better to remember this: .com is king

•••
I defnitely agree topnames.com :) I was getting a personal site with my friend's name and so I thought hey a ".us" would work :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back