NameSilo

Problem with Sedo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I had a domain which was parked at Sedo and was offered for sale at a fixed price of $80. However, the domain got expired and I forgot to remove it from sedo.

A buyer bought it at the fixed price and now the domain is in pending delete. I said I cannot complete the sale, as domain is pending delete.

Sedo cancelled the sale and I was asked to pay them the due sedo commission of $50 in 5 days, failing which my account is going to be locked.

What do you think?
Is it fair on Sedo's part to ask me to pay their commission for a cancelled sale, considering it was a pending delete domain?
(May I should ask them to pay me the price of the domain, when they cancel a sale when the buyer does not pay!)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Yes, I think it's fair.

Here's why:

When someone drops a domain and someone else registers it and tries to place the domain on Sedo, it takes FOREVER to get it verified because Sedo thinks the domain belongs to someone else. In that case, the domain must be hand verified by a human at Sedo.

Also, dealing with dead domains that get bids, offers, and BINs requires work on Sedo's part (back and forth emails to the unhappy buyer and the former owner).

It's up to YOU to remove your expired/sold domains from Sedo.

•••
That sucks my friend but I think you have to pay, unless you dont care about keeping your sedo account.

When someone drops a domain and someone else registers it and tries to place the domain on Sedo, it takes FOREVER to get it verified because Sedo thinks the domain belongs to someone else. In that case, the domain must be hand verified by a human at Sedo.

Hey Ms Domainer, whenever this happens to me, and it happens often I just call them and they clear it up over the phone otherwise it could take weeks if ever to get done.

•••
In that case, keeping fixed price domains at sedo are dangerous.
Thank God I didn't keep a price of $10000
Then I would have had to pay $1500 at least

•••
A buyer bought it at the fixed price and now the domain is in pending delete. I said I cannot complete the sale, as domain is pending delete.
That means the domain is going to delete in the very next few days, and you could possibly register it again. Perhaps the right thing would have been to wait before dropping the ball.

•••
Listing other names is a strategy to some.

Many have buy now at multiple locations. im always tempted to buy them all just to see what happens.

•••
In that case, keeping fixed price domains at sedo are dangerous.
Thank God I didn't keep a price of $10000
Then I would have had to pay $1500 at least

I like this post/thread because it reminded me to check over my Sedo platform and weed out some domains that are soon to expire or HAVE expired.

In other words, I'm not trying pick on you specifically for anything because this could have been me or anyone else here.

Even though Sedo is a big company that we love to hate (and love to love when we make a sale, lol), we all need to remember that there are human beings behind the Sedo name.

So, in that sense (aside from the financial bite), it's a good idea to weed out domains we have sold elsewhere or have allowed to expired.

A kind of "do-unto-others" rule.

:blink:

•••
That means the domain is going to delete in the very next few days, and you could possibly register it again. Perhaps the right thing would have been to wait before dropping the ball.

Should have waited! Now you will have to pay SEDO $50 (or have your account closed) for your domain. Why list a domain for BIN $80 on sedo anyway when you are only gonna get $30! Better pricing would have made buyer/seller/sedo winners!

BTW, Does SEDO chase non-paying bidders for commission?

•••
Should have waited! Now you will have to pay SEDO $50 (or have your account closed) for your domain. Why list a domain for BIN $80 on sedo anyway when you are only gonna get $30! Better pricing would have made buyer/seller/sedo winners!

BTW, Does SEDO chase non-paying bidders for commission?

Yes, but they never catch em since the buyer uses bs account info to start off with. :(

•••
I had a domain which was parked at Sedo and was offered for sale at a fixed price of $80. However, the domain got expired and I forgot to remove it from sedo.

Sedo cancelled the sale and I was asked to pay them the due sedo commission of $50 in 5 days, failing which my account is going to be locked.

What do you think?
Is it fair on Sedo's part to ask me to pay their commission for a cancelled sale, considering it was a pending delete domain?
(May I should ask them to pay me the price of the domain, when they cancel a sale when the buyer does not pay!)

make sure to regularly check AT LEAST your fixed price listings to make sure you have not dropped those or sold them elsewhere, because with fixed price you don't have an easy option to refuse to sell except "sorry I don;t have this anymore".

However I don't think it would be fair for Sedo to charge a commission on sale that did not happen.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back