IT.COM

Probably done with "domaining", I suck...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Clover

Find your luckTop Member
Impact
I have most of my domains listed on Dan, Epik, GoDaddy, and Afternic, I've never made a sale on any of those platforms, well, I did for $100 once but I had sold the domain + 2 other matching ones all for their reg value 2-3 days prior -_-

I get many complements on my domains and my ability to find good hand regs upon request, I was making $100 sales and was doing good at getting my money back for the ones I started with, but the past couple months I've not had any bites, not a buyer in sight, due to the markets and inflation I presume, but still, I feel like I'm holding on for a fantasy sale that will never happen, even a low $xxx offer would give me some hope. So far, this journey has given me a small profit, but with much research, and take a lot of time... Just not sure if things are balancing out.

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ahhh yes, learning what all the filters are and what they do on expireddomains .net when there are no instructions!

Which is why it's worth reading posts by @blogspotter and @Bob Hawkes on how to use it.

Believe it or not, the information is actually out there if you do the research.

•••
In my previous job, if I F up, people die.
If I f up in domaining, did anybody die?? did anybody get piss off?
That why I love hand reg domains and have fun...while earning easy peasy money on this BS stress free hobby
It is Domaining that relives my stress
It is all about your attitude and your expectations.

•••
Which is why it's worth reading posts by @blogspotter and @Bob Hawkes on how to use it.

Believe it or not, the information is actually out there if you do the research.
I was referring to the information on the website. The website itself doesnt seem to give any instructions unless I have missed them

•••
none sucks at domains there is just those who do and do not put the needed hours... and its many hours. its that simple really

•••
I can pay my bills with Domaining before Covid pandemic. Until middle of 2021, there was downtrend but still get something from domaining. Even I sold 1 domain in Dan and some Swedish domains at another marketplace. After that, it's really suck. It seems only luxury names survived since middle low end users also got problem in their business. I heard a lot of companies from New York move to other cities, and in my country a lot of houses at high end locations are sold, but at suburb office spaces and houses are sold out. So only invest in a very good name, or if your money is not good enough to buy luxury names, buy cheap names you can hold at least 2 years...

•••
You can qiut domaining but domaining can't quit you.

I agree. The OP obviously doesn't want to quit domaining. Instead, he wants advice to change his mind or feel comfortable domaining.

This is why we are here anyway. This is one of the most important reason why same minded people flock together. We want advice, comfort, share our success & failure with, attention etc. etc. And many good comments show exactly that.

IMHO, this all is fine. So everyone, please be nice & have fun domaining.
Domaining is not a zero sum game, so we can all have a happy ending here :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
if domain name investors want instant results they should try - day trading - where a person can buy and sell stocks on the stockmarket where a person can invest £100 at 14.45pm uk time and have the potential to make 10% profit on their investment within 90 mins or lose 50% of their investment within the same 90ims their phone on the sofa etc day trading is very risky but yesterday I made £3k in 8 minutes fr a £20 k balance in a practice a count etc as o day trade options for fun as it's my interest etc OR a person can invest £100 in to bitcoin and a loan company will let you borrow 20% of your crypto investment etc because crypto is liquid and the stock market is liquid but only a few domain names are liquid etc eg 2 letter .coms are liquid at £500 k and 3 letter .com s are liquid at £15 k etc but most domain name investors want to buy domains at 2022 prices but want to sell their domains the next day at 2042 prices without having the patience to wait 20 years for time to add value to their investment etc the people that made millions from buying bitcoin in 2010 when bitcoin was available to buy for £0.0053p per bitcoin took a punt with money they could afford to lose eg £100 and did absolutely nothing and time added value to their investment which made many early bitcoin investors millionaires etc but domain name investing is not liquid for 95% of domain name investors and as such domain name registrar's should have a disclaimer on their website stating that 95% of domain name investors lose money just as most day trading apps have a disclaimer on their app that states that 75% of day traders lose money etc

•••
I have most of my domains listed on Dan, Epik, GoDaddy, and Afternic, I've never made a sale on any of those platforms, well, I did for $100 once but I had sold the domain + 2 other matching ones all for their reg value 2-3 days prior -_-

I get many complements on my domains and my ability to find good hand regs upon request, I was making $100 sales and was doing good at getting my money back for the ones I started with, but the past couple months I've not had any bites, not a buyer in sight, due to the markets and inflation I presume, but still, I feel like I'm holding on for a fantasy sale that will never happen, even a low $xxx offer would give me some hope. So far, this journey has given me a small profit, but with much research, and take a lot of time... Just not sure if things are balancing out.

Thanks.
you made a profit... stick to it ... it takes usually 7-10 years for my domains to sell

•••
•••
how about limit less than 100 domains save time? i don't think there IS Another 23 years to hold on to like january 1999

on positive lessons learned still appreciate the WHOIS know-how to register a .com in any new idea

alternative outcomes yes my digital assets' of interest nbatopshot nfts and 50,+ combined traffic typos..

dear nostalgia it got better!

•••
Try to focus on acquiring one really good domain instead of many bad or ok ones. Good luck!

•••

Thanks.
I'm doing hand regs for years and I'm doing pretty well, so you can compare your hand regs with some of mine's from the last 12 months, all com's: ParallelFi, AutomatedDoctor, Ecsclusive, HyperTactile, Irreverse, Educativerse, MetaQuay, NftCreditor, NftPrepay, NftOrient, MetaAutomaton, AutomatedSound, bEternity, Realistique, DebridgeFinance, HyperSand, Spatyal, OmniEternity and another 1000 or so a year.

•••
•••
If you decide to stay with domaining, I'd say the main point (at least for the first 3 years) is to think about domaining as an investment, not a business. This is a big mistake a lot of people make - they think about profits and selling names relatively fast and for lots of money (who hasn't heard about XXXXX sales?!). Even those who understand the complicity, still take it as a business opportunity. It's not. It's really an investment, and you have to master it a lot, too. At a later stage you have a chance to convert it to business, but it's a loooong way (I am not there myself, for example).
Just a write mindset is what is necessary, imo.

Good luck!

If you sell fast, is it business and if you don't, is it investment ?
What is the definition of fast or slow? 10+ days, 7+ months, 2+ decades?
If there are, what are the other differences between business and investment?
Thanks.

•••
I start in this business in 2010 & my first sale was in 2014
So was 4 years long but worth
Wish you good luck 🤗

So you renewed domains for 4 years without a sale?

•••
Domaining is a slow business. You will need a lot of study, work, patience and perseverance to make a profit. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
•••
domaining is like a showbiz career. A percentage of it will only be successful.

•••
Bear in mind that now is not the best time, economies across the globe are struggling, and things are only getting worse for the short-term.

I am hoping this drop in interest in names (at least from what I have experienced) is due to the initial adjustment and not going to go on for too long.

Inflation still battering peoples ability to spend, and interest rates will be increasing in a hope to curb inflation. Recession is probably already here, not sure for the US but I think the UK must be in one, although they can do all sorts with the figures to say it isn't ;)

•••
Bear in mind that now is not the best time, economies across the globe are struggling, and things are only getting worse for the short-term.

I am hoping this drop in interest in names (at least from what I have experienced) is due to the initial adjustment and not going to go on for too long.

Inflation still battering peoples ability to spend, and interest rates will be increasing in a hope to curb inflation. Recession is probably already here, not sure for the US but I think the UK must be in one, although they can do all sorts with the figures to say it isn't ;)

On the upside, the dollar is quite strong at the moment, compared to the euro, so I can actually drop pricing a bit and make the same profit.

I also have quite some funds accumulated in $, the higher conversion number somewhat irons out inflation for me.

But I agree. This is not the best time to sell if you need those sales for liquidity.

•••
For all of the hype in this business, Johnn hit the nail on the head. Great words to live by! Thanks Johnn! Good luck in your future endeavors Clover. Think of buying just one really good name rather than a bunch of names perhaps in the future.

•••
•••
Disagree mate, domaining is not necessarily selling (though most domainers are trying to load or offload). Selling is most DEFNITELY gambling because you can't guarantee a sale. If there was a repository for buying ANY domain names within set criteria for a set minimum fee, greater than your purchase fee, then obviously it isn't gambling. But for the most part selling domain names is gambling, and the house (seller or and marketplace) will usually win.
the difference between gambling and other forms of income generation are simple... -> gambling you are bound by only one factor... the odds that are predetermined based on the choices that you can make...

-> you cant beat the odds of a roulette ball dropping into a specific slot on a prebuilt wheel just by playing more times... -> or practicing really hard... or having a team of 400 sales reps under you trying to move your domains... there isnt a specific number that is going to work better at with specific dealers... They might seem that way as in doubles popping up back to back.. but thats why if you tried to use that strategy... it will always be some fluke reason why it didnt pan out that trip to the table...

-> on the other hand... if you buy shit ass xyz names you will most likely never sell a name... theres no gamble someones gonna buy a;sdfkja;sdfjasdkfj;adslfj;lfkllsgkjf;gkjsd;fgkj;sdfgkjgkjdgjsdfkgj;dsflgkjdflk.xyz for 1000000 dollars

on the otherhand its EXTREMELY likely that you could sell ANY 1 word .com for that price if you put the correct ammount of work into selling the name at that price

•••
As some of you know, when I was 3 years old,
my mother abandoned me in the forest, and I was
raised by a pack of wild wolves. A wolf pack
lives a merciless, fierce, intense and aggressive life,
that does not countenance weaklings or sissies. I feel sure
that it is this upbringing that has made me into a successful domainer.

•••
The concept of domaining is fun because you can do it from anywhere in the world but also, the sales through ratio is incredibly low so if you are not out there proactively trying to sell your domain, it becomes a waiting game.

I have been in and out of domaining over the last few years but something ALWAYS pulls me back in! haha

Maybe I love the concept of owning "digital real estate" or whatever you would like to call it. Focus on buying domain names OTHER people would want. That's what I try to do.

-Omar

•••
You have to understand this fundamentally.

There is no premium or crappy domain name. Its value is all in the eyes of the buyer.
I'll share an incident which happened with me few months back.
I bought a domain for $xxx from someone and offered it to a potential buyer for $xxxx

Initially, they were ready to purchase as I convinced them how it would help their business get organic traffic, establish authority, etc. on the internet. Explained them the value of domain names as a digital asset and a lot more on similar lines.
This went on for weeks and when we fixed the deal price and it was time to pay, the buyer backed off saying I do not really see value in the domain name. I was disappointed and accepted the fate. Few days later, I was approached by his competitor and I straightaway asked what is the best they can offer. To my surprise it was more than that of the previous buyer. I did not negotiate and just straightaway closed the deal.

So you see, it is all in the perception of the buyer. If he/she/it values the domain you will get a sale, if not then even though you're sitting on gold bullion in an open market, none will approach you.

To draw a simple explanation, I may not pay $30m for Voice.com but the company who saw value did.
I have even sold typo domain names for $xxx to companies by convincing them how they'd be losing on to some potential visitors/traffic as many users might be typing their URL by mistake.

Take a break from domaining, 3-4 months and then return. Don't buy any more domains, just browse through the forum, read the blogs, etc. and especially control your impulsive side.

Good luck!
Good post. If the people who post the longest posts, and I'm not being specific to you, used those skills to post blog entries all day, they'd become rich very quickly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back