Dynadot

.Pro Re-Launch Delayed Until 8 Sept

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
"Due to unanticipated levels of interest in the .pro re-launch and requests from nearly all of our registrars, we are going to move our 'go live' date from July 14 to September 8.

We met with a number of registrars last week at the ICANN conference in Paris, and have been busy talking to current and prospective registrars about implementation of the modified restrictions passed by the ICANN Board on April 29. It is apparent that the time frame we first set is not sufficient to accommodate the interest! Therefore, we are moving the date to give registrars additional time to prepare to take registrations for second level resolving names under our new restrictions, and to give registrars time to market the new offering."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If true, it's good to hear that there is some interest among the registrars.

•••
My bet would be that it is due to figuring out what information will actually be required of registrants under the new ICANN agreement and for registrars to update registration systems to accommodate new registration information fields.

•••
What's this re-lauch? I own a .pro domain.
Am I limited by developing it somehow? What's the story?

•••
•••
Dot pro is smart, they don't want to compete with dot Asia during the heated months of bidding on Pool.

•••
Or maybe a lot of registrations are coming due in the next 2 months and they want to squeeze as much they can out of it before the changes.

EDIT
I this what the registrars pay registrypro or what registrypro pays ICANN for each name?

http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/pro/redlined-registry-agmt-appf-21may04.pdf.

Exhibit F: Fees
1. Domain-Name Registration Fee. US $6.00 per year for third level registrations, US
$6.50 per year for second level registration, and US $6.50 for the second level redirect
registration service.
2. Domain-Name Renewal Fee. US $6.00 per year for the renewal of each third level
domain name registration, US $6.50 per year for the renewal of each second level domain
name registration, and US $6.50 per year for the renewal of the second level redirect
registration service.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
There are a couple of errors in this article, there are not 640,000 .pros registered, the number is probably 6,400. Also, after stating that the relaunch date has been put back to 8 September the journalist asks "The new system opens on July 14th, why no sunrise period?".

•••
6,400? wow that's a dead extension. The dot pro people (registar) must be making losses on those numbers. It doesn't look like they'll recoup.

•••
It's dead with $99 reg fees and that's a good thing. The 3 letters pro are a beautiful addition to any keyword so with the right pricing proposition and marketing it could be a sleeping giant. .

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back