NameSilo

.pro domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
"Professional practitioners now have a top-level domain reserved just for them, and the domain name industry is working hard to keep it that way.
Most people probably haven't heard of dot-pro, the latest global top-level domain (gTLD) which is currently in its pre-registration period and due to go live on July 1. The domain is reserved for professionals, and will be divided up into sub-domains based on various professions, with professionals able to register a domain within that. For example, a medical doctor could register www.[his name].med.pro.

Currently there are three professions included under the .pro domain: legal (law.pro, avocat.pro, bar.pro, recht.pro, and jur.pro), medical (med.pro) and accountancy (cpa.pro, aaa.pro, aca.pro, acct.pro). Further professions and second level names will be added if an industry group succeeds in a proposal process. This will involve detailing which profession the domain will be for, how it will be identified in the domain space and the workings of the Sub-Advisory Board which will administer the domain name.

Registration of domain names under .pro will be tightly controlled to avoid domain name speculation, the cause of much controversy in the domain name space.

"Globally [.pro] will be very low-key," Larry Bloch, CEO of NetRegistry told ZDNet Australia . "It's not something you can offer to every customer…there are some policy restrictions on who can apply." These restrictions would make the gTLD more expensive than others of its ilk, according to Bloch.

"I suspect there's going to be a lot less fanfare of .pro than there has been of other launches," said Bloch. He said Australia was seen as a leader in the domain space, as one of the few countries that has restrictions on its domain names similar to that imposed on .pro.

Tom Valenta, spokesperson for Melbourne IT, told ZDNet Australia that niche domain names such as .pro were not creating the sort of waves the industry was expecting a few years ago. "We think the speculation bubble has pretty much burst," he said.

"I think some security and protection and integrity is a very good idea," said Valenta. "[Cybersquatting is] a bit like scalping tickets -- it's not a particularly honourable way to earn a living."

To date, neither Melbourne IT nor NetRegistry has received much interest in the .pro domain space from the public. "

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow, that's good news.. good job Sohil!! I should dig up some news :)

•••
domain.med.pro Noooo one is going to speculate in this namespace.

•••
yes, it's too bad only third level domains are available and they are very restrictive on who is able to register names in the .pro namespace.

I really like the .pro extension, but it doesn't look like I'll be getting name.pro or php.pro anytime soon.

•••
•••
Originally posted by lordzeus
that means that we can use www.im-a.pro domain like?
only www.im-a.med.pro ???

not to good...

Clever use... but I agree, not too good. Hard to see any lawyer seriously using the domain name ima.law.pro

:lol:

•••
I'm quickly going to come back to a point that I've made in the past regarding "new" extensions ... that is, it would greatly benefit the owner of any upcoming "xyz.pro" domain to ALSO secure the corresponding "xyzpro.com", as well IMHO, for branding purposes - especially if it's to be developed!
Food for thought on a lovely Memorial Day. :)
See you.

•••
doesn't "pro" mean "ho" in england?? it could be a whole new meaning to it all..... ("ho" as in prostitute)

•••
•••
I'm in trouble with a few of my domains if that's true.

:hehe:

•••
•••
Originally posted by monnyd
doesn't "pro" mean "ho" in england?? it could be a whole new meaning to it all..... ("ho" as in prostitute)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

•••
Introduction of .pro

The pro-domains are an exclusive domain. Only if you are a lawyer, medical doctor,accountant(cpa), you are entitled to get a pro-domain. Other liberal professions will be perhaps later in the position, also to order a pro-domain. A self certification that you belong to one of these groups is necessary. It is not possible to register at .pro, but at law.pro, med.pro and cpa.pro. Professionals can pre-register for free at the ICANN Registrar Secura (https://www.domainregistry.de/pro.html)

What is .Pro?
Professionals spend years in school to further their education, years in training and preparation to pass strict exams and finally achieve a license to practice in their field of specialty. Along with maintaining their image and credibility, a professional must earn the trust of his/her client. This is easy to establish in person, but difficult to convey over the Internet. In the physical world - professionals and their clients can have private and confidential discussions, face to face or telephonically. To ensure trust online and conduct business with propriety, communications and transactions must remain private and secure. RegistryPro offers a way to solve this challenge with the new Top Level Domain (TLD) extension .

The .Pro TLD will offer professionals a distinctive presence on the Internet. Unlike other more common domain names, such as .com and .net, RegistryPro's .Pro names will be uniquely valuable since they will be available only to professionals who self certify that they meet the eligibility requirements. The ProCert Certificate is based on the self certification of the customer and an individual check of each applicant by the Registrar, who uses databases and records for this check. Additionally, RegistryPro will offer profession specific domain strings, such as .law.pro, .med.pro and .cpa.pro allowing the online community to immediately identify the professional field they seek.

Professional integrity is important to you and so is providing confidential communication to your clients and or patients. The .Pro bundle, which includes the .ProCert professional level digital certificate, offers you a solution for identifying yourself as a concerned professional who takes electronic security seriously. .Pro provides the efficiency of the digital economy with the security to support it.

.Pro is unlike any other domain name extension to date. It is exclusively available to professionals who certify that they meet the requirements of their profession and provide eligibility information with their registration. To facilitate private and confidential communications, .Pro will be the first registry to bundle a digital certificate with every domain name, which will provide the ability to send encrypted and non-repudiated email. Other security services such as time-stamping and electronic notarization are also possible.

The .Pro product includes a web address for the following professions:

(johnsmith.med.pro)

(johnsmith.law.pro)

(johnsmith.cpa.pro)

A validation process cross-verifies the registrant's self-certified personal identity and professional information against appropriate licensing databases (i.e. state, or jurisdiction specific). Other services will be available and provided through the Registrar such as website design, web hosting, email and more. What are the basic eligibility criteria?
Generally, to be in compliance with the professional eligibility requirements, a registrant must be either:

1. An individual who is currently licensed as

a Certified Public Accountant,

a physician (including a medical doctor) or

an attorney at law, who is currently licensed in one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia; or,

2. An organization, that provides accounting, legal or medical professional services, and has an employee who satisfies one of the above criteria and registers on behalf of such entity or organization. Examples of such organizations include: accounting firms, hospitals, legal publishers, medical supply companies, or even the law department of a large company.

--------------------------------------------------

•••
Thanks for the info, secura! :)

Welcome to #1 Namepros.
B-)

•••
a lot info..

Welcome to namepros secura!

•••
•••
Originally posted by Sohil
My Old Thread :laugh:

Yup. Giving it some new life, Sohil.
WaaHoo. :D

•••
•••
LMAO that would be funny

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back