Domain Empire

news Prices Increasing, Does It Make Sense To Renew In Advance?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
The wholesale price of .com domain names is increasing by 7% on Sept 1, 2021. This is the first of four approved price increases in the extension, over the next four years, so the compounded increase will be about 31%.

The actual retail price increase varies with registrar, and you can see some of the announced price changes in this NamePros discussion. Some are applying increases above the wholesale increase.

There have also been announced changes in other TLDs, for example, wholesale .xyz prices are increasing on Sept. 1 as well, by about the same amount.

In an article just published at NameTalent, I apply probabilistic thinking to the question of whether it makes logical sense to renew domain names in advance. The model is simple, so you could readily apply it to your own assumptions re current and future prices, and projected personal sell-through rate on the domain name under consideration.

Read full article ......

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just spent $5K renewing all my desirable domains thru to years-end for another year. I'm now looking at what I've left this year, to see it there is anything else worth renewing. There is always domains which I didn't renew worth renewing. But I was on a budget.

•••
i see no reason to not renew at lower price, just makes sense to save a buck, but eventually we will have to face the increase, and its probably good for the bottom line anyway. ty.

•••
Kudos if renewing well ahead, years even. A preparedness mindset and a stability cushion can never hurt. But for the sole sake of a slight price increase is pointless, imo. You're never truly in control of something you don't fully own. It will always have to be dealt with eventually.

And wanted to mention as FolioTeam did, great new site Bob, looks fantastic!

•••
All my names will be sold soon so I don't need to spend the money to renew.

•••
I received an email from GD about their intended price increase. I have the Discount Domain Club, and the price for .COM is changing on Sept 1st from $8.29 to $8.85
Odd. I called GD support and asked about any upcoming price increases. Was told they are not aware of any price changes.

•••
I renewed about 700 domains today after some recent sales. I like to take future expenses off the table in good times.

I know, making responsible financial decisions is boomer mentality. ;)

Brad

•••
I renewed about 700 domains today after some recent sales. I like to take future expenses off the table in good times.

I know, making responsible financial decisions is boomer mentality. ;)

Brad

700 at once wow Brad, that's a big number. Are you north of 5,000 domains?

•••
•••
31% in the next 4 years is quite an increase.
Renewing domains for 1 or 2 years is just a short term solution.
Chepest renewals can be achieved by promotional transfers.
Spreading portfolio between 2 registrars is a screaming solution.
I've already chosen 2 registrars which often propose transfer promos(I don't believe this practice will change)
The downside is transfers require more work and promos are not predictable in time.
The advantage - up to 2$ savings per renewal.
I hope this helps!

•••
Renewing in advance will help one save a lot especially with big portfolio. One thing that's giving me a hard time is which of my domains need to be renewed or which of them need to be set free.

•••
I just ended up renewing more than 4,000 domains.

•••
I will be renewing .com's before the end of the month

Cheers
Corey

•••
Odd. I called GD support and asked about any upcoming price increases. Was told they are not aware of any price changes.

That's not "odd", that's GD (always a few clueless on phone staff).

•••
That's not "odd", that's GD (always a few clueless on phone staff).

With GD's margins on domains, They probably don't need to worry too much about their retail customer base not paying enough :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back