IT.COM

Premium pricing for quality domain names is essential.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

789.xyz

Established Member
Impact
I've noticed recently that many premium domain names are either retained by the registry or given a premium price after expiration, even with traditional domain extensions like ai.info.

The domain market is still quite small, and for future expansion, it will rely on registries acting as market makers and domain brokerage platforms driving speculation.

Therefore, premium pricing by registries and high brokerage fees are inevitable steps in this process.

The future of domains is to be promoted widely, similar to mobile phone numbers, until everyone has one.

As domain investors, our focus should be on holding non-premium domains while avoiding unreliable registries like .icu that impose premium pricing even before expiration.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I concurr with your statement,

I tried to buy MY previously used domain for my startup.

I ended up paying for it via "Auction".,

The landers said "Domain Expired", but registry wanted it by default 90 days "Auction".

•••
It's important to separate registry-premium domains from premium domains.

A registry-premium domain is a domain where the registry charges you a premium for owning the domain.

A premium domain is a domain that's highly desirable by a lot of people.

A domain being a registry-premium actively hurts its potential to be a premium domain, because no one wants to pay ten times (or maybe even a hundred times) more annually for a domain. Some people have brought up large corporations as a counterexample, but they predominantly use the .com which doesn't have even registry-premium domains.

Furthermore, registry-premium domains are more likely to be liabilities eating the costs of tens if not hundreds of .com:s by themselves.

Last edited:
•••
It's important to separate registry-premium domains from premium domains.

A registry-premium domain is a domain where the registry charges you a premium for owning the domain.

A premium domain is a domain that's highly desirable by a lot of people.

A domain being a registry-premium actively hurts its potential to be a premium domain, because no one wants to pay ten times (or maybe even a hundred times) more annually for a domain. Some people have brought up large corporations as a counterexample, but they predominantly use the .com which doesn't have even registry-premium domains.

Furthermore, registry-premium domains are more likely to be liabilities eating the costs of tens if not hundreds of .com:s by themselves.
This is because most companies today do not realize the importance of domain names and merely regard them as website addresses.

A domain name's function is not just as a web address; it is also a brand symbol, a digital wallet payment address, and in the future, there will be many unimaginable applications in Web3.

Currently, domain names have not returned to their rightful status, much like the prime office spaces in city centers. Many people say they are expensive, but they can still be leased out.

•••
Fewer and fewer users are using browsers to access the internet

•••
I want to know if your conclusion is supported by data?

•••
This is because most companies today do not realize the importance of domain names and merely regard them as website addresses.
Any business with an active marketing department should understand the importance of a domain.

A domain name's function is not just as a web address; it is also a brand symbol, a digital wallet payment address, and in the future, there will be many unimaginable applications in Web3.
There won't be a transition into a Web 3. But you're right in that owning (your brand).com is important for first impressions.

Not only is this wrong, but the implication is wrong too since apps can't compete with browsers because they're not as versatile.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back