Dynadot

Premium Listing Sold on GoDaddy for $99,999.00, My list Price, GoDaddy Nonresponsive

NameSilo
Watch

heartsforhemp

Established Member
Impact
I am current domain holder of over 1300 domains in a certain industry. One I know like the back of my hand. I received notification that a domain I had listed on premium listing was transferred out of my account. I then contacted GoDaddy to see if it had sold. I was told yes it had sold. The domain was listed at $99,999.00 the maximum I could list on GoDaddy. I received a receipt from GoDaddy saying "Congratulations on selling your premium domain at listed price $99,999.00". This is life changing for me, who invests everything back into programs for people and the less fortunate. Thinking I finally caught a break.

Since then I have received no response from GoDaddy support team regarding the sale of my domain. The most unfortunate part is typically when I receive these emails I am always paid the amount minus commissions. I began immediately paying off some large debts I have incurred being in the industry I am in. I am now concerned of financial discourse to my family because GoDaddy doesn't want to cough up my money.

What do I do? I've called, emailed, and contacted to no avail.

Please Help @Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
it should still be there?

Thanks funny...It is showing in you post now, momments ago it was not....and when I click your quote in my post to view pics, it still come sup as error, perhaps its my computer, sry....mean thing is , the screenshots are ow showing from your post :) all good!

•••
So I would not worry at this point, there is a good chance things will still go as planned.

Erm your about 30 minutes too late with your post. I know you started to respond, then went and made lunch, done it myself

Last edited:
•••
They verified there had "been a mistake"

•••
Erm your about 30 minutes too late with your post. I know you started to respond, then went and made lunch, done it myself

Yikes!!

I'm a bit late to respond today

•••
Interested to hear the official GoDaddy take here. If the domain sold for a different listing price, why send an email saying "listing price: $99,999?"

Seems like a pretty egregious "glitch", methinks.

•••
They verified there had "been a mistake"

So your updated price had propagated to the Billing dept but not to the listing price, You can't help but get that feeling that someone stepped in knowing that price update was pending

Last edited:
•••
Interested to hear the official GoDaddy take here. If the domain sold for a different listing price, why send an email saying "listing price: $99,999?"

Seems like a pretty egregious "glitch", methinks.

I agree. Either they should be certain what it sold for or ask you to log into your account to check the final sales price. This is not good enough, and I feel sorry for OP.

Last edited:
•••
Unfortunately as much as it hurts me to discuss the outcome, it was a malfunction on GDaddys software, and was sold at an undisclosed previously listed price , not $99,999.00 :(. I have decided to let it go at it's previously listed price, however in future, these guys should be more responsive, and not send sales emails that are incorrect...

WTF WTF WTF

This is REALLY serious.

Because I previously asked Godaddy what happens if I update a listing price and the old price is still displayed on GD (it often is for 48 hours). They said that if a customer put it in their cart at the old price, the system would refuse the sale. I regularly change prices - up - in response to events and trends.

I can understand you wanting to let it go and that probably is the best for you and the name, but there is a huge issue here with GD systems and policies. They need to either change prices in real time or state in the ToS that price change take up to x hours to take effect.

Is the only way to protect yourself to delete the listing???

@Joe Styler and @Paul Nicks can you tell us Godaddy's policy and procedures on price changes?

•••
Make GoDaddy liable and pay up what they owe you. I'm serious, take them to court.

In any other line of business an invoice/receipt/payment for x amount HAS to be that amount, no matter what.

Far too many mistakes, bugs and shenanigans in this industry. Don't let it happen.

In saying that, I bet their TOS has some bull covering them on these mistakes.

GoDaddy, why don't you hire some competent software developers who actually know what they're doing? Have seen far too many bugs on your system over the years and registrants have to pay the price for it time and time again.

I'm a long time GoDaddy customer but it's this sort of nonsense that means I don't have all my domains at GoDaddy.

•••
Make GoDaddy liable and pay up what they owe you. I'm serious, take them to court.

In any other line of business an invoice/receipt/payment for x amount HAS to be that amount, no matter what.

Far too many mistakes, bugs and shenanigans in this industry. Don't let it happen.

In saying that, I bet their TOS has some bull covering them on these mistakes.

GoDaddy, why don't you hire some competent software developers who actually know what they're doing? Have seen far too many bugs on your system over the years and registrants have to pay the price for it time and time again.

I'm a long time GoDaddy customer but it's this sort of nonsense that means I don't have all my domains at GoDaddy.
Sure wrecked my day

•••
Sure wrecked my day

Since you had changed the price before the sale you would be entitled to ask them to reverse the sale, if you wanted, but that might not be best for you.

This case is another strong reason to NOT enable fast transfer.

There is a whole other thread on here about Dustie.com selling way below what owner thought was the listing price at GD.

Last edited:
•••
yeah, hopefully they make some changes so this doesn't occur again to others, all I can ask for

•••
I've no-doubt there's plenty of coverage in the T&C's about updates and delays but, that still doesn't cover the timing of all this confusion. Very dodgy if you ask me

•••
WTF WTF WTF

This is REALLY serious.

Because I previously asked Godaddy what happens if I update a listing price and the old price is still displayed on GD (it often is for 48 hours). They said that if a customer put it in their cart at the old price, the system would refuse the sale. I regularly change prices - up - in response to events and trends.

I can understand you wanting to let it go and that probably is the best for you and the name, but there is a huge issue here with GD systems and policies. They need to either change prices in real time or state in the ToS that price change take up to x hours to take effect.

Is the only way to protect yourself to delete the listing???

@Joe Styler and @Paul Nicks can you tell us Godaddy's policy and procedures on price changes?
We do state it clearly in the TOS it has been there for many years. The prices cannot update in real time because of several factors including the amount of sites and places that need to be updated, the amount of domains changing at any given time, etc.
It is found here https://www.godaddy.com/legal/agreements/domain-name-registration-agreement under the premium domain selling section.
I spoke with the OP on the phone and confirmed this with him. It is certainly disappointing news but I will do what I can to help him with his account.

•••
We do state it clearly in the TOS it has been there for many years. The prices cannot update in real time because of several factors including the amount of sites and places that need to be updated, the amount of domains changing at any given time, etc.
It is found here https://www.godaddy.com/legal/agreements/domain-name-registration-agreement under the premium domain selling section.
It says this:
In the event that you update your sale price, you acknowledge and agree that it may take up to 24 hours to update the price shown to buyers. In the event your domain name sells prior to the price being updated on the website, you agree that the price listed will be enforced.

I certainly have seen GD prices take at least 48 hours to update. And prices on every other platform I use update in real time.

As you say, that refers to Godaddy Premium names - and so does not refer to Afternic listed domains. Can you explain to us the policy on how long Afternic price updates need to take effect?

Again, as far as I can see, the only way to prevent sale at a previous price is to delete the listing, then re-list if you wish at the new price.

Sad that when I asked GD support about this they told me a domain would not sell at a previous price pending changes.

Last edited:
•••
Why do prices take 24 - 48 hours to update @Joe Styler?

•••
The prices cannot update in real time because of several factors including the amount of sites and places that need to be updated, the amount of domains changing at any given time, etc.

Are you saying the prices are cached rather than queried in real time? Yes, that could save some load on servers and databases, in other words, money.

So are we once again looking at GD not being willing to spend money on something basic (real time update costs) and so displacing cost, risk, and inconvenience onto customers?

•••
The prices cannot update in real time because of several factors including the amount of sites and places that need to be updated, the amount of domains changing at any given time, etc.

This answer might have been plausible in 1999 but we're nearing the 5G era and you're telling me a publicly traded company can't figure out how to keep asset prices up to date because there are too many, listed in too many places.

•••
It’s a question of relativity. The sales process should be universal, despite the actual price.

At any rate, thank you for personally looking into it!
I wouldn't want to agree with you here. I think it deserves the scrutiny as required by Godaddy for sake of legitimacy of the funds.

•••
Unfortunately as much as it hurts me to discuss the outcome, it was a malfunction on GDaddys software, and was sold at an undisclosed previously listed price , not $99,999.00 :(. I have decided to let it go at it's previously listed price, however in future, these guys should be more responsive, and not send sales emails that are incorrect... wo is me, and now begins the reversal of excitement and backtracking all that I have told including my kids, god their faces when I told them.
that is sad. Godaddy has a lot of bug to fix. I am currently in the midst of transferring a domain name to a buyer but buyer keeps getting error when he tried to accept the domain name.

•••
I wouldn't want to agree with you here. I think it deserves the scrutiny as required by Godaddy for sake of legitimacy of the funds.
Funds should be verified for every sale, regardless of the sales price...

•••
Funds should be verified for every sale, regardless of the sales price...
this is a large sale keith, these people are answerable to the government. They have to be careful. Let them do their job as it is expected of them based on challenges they face behind closed doors.

•••
this is a large sale keith, these people are answerable to the government. They have to be careful. Let them do their job as it is expected of them based on challenges they face behind closed doors.
I’d bet the farm that godaddy makes more on domains less than $1k than they do on 5 figure sales, if looking at the totality of auctions.

Anyhow, if this were me I’d demand the domain back. I know the OP got a price he can live with but I’d not be so easy.

The assumption is that once you change the price, that’s the price! There shouldn’t be a lag time as a few have pointed out already. Simply bad business...

•••
I’d bet the farm that godaddy makes more on domains less than $1k than they do on 5 figure sales, if looking at the totality of auctions.

Anyhow, if this were me I’d demand the domain back. I know the OP got a price he can live with but I’d not be so easy.

The assumption is that once you change the price, that’s the price! There shouldn’t be a lag time as a few have pointed out already. Simply bad business...

Godaddy needs to do something about this but that is really sad that they could allow this

•••
Wait I missed that. You're honestly telling everyone that due to technical reasons the prices take 24 - 48 hours to update. That's the most laughable thing I've heard all year. You can't be serious.

Something like a domains price should ALWAYS be reflected near enough instantly.

Unbelievable. Sounds like a bad joke.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back