IT.COM

discuss Portfolio breakdown of price categories

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Future Sensors

78% of human domainers will be replaced by robotsTop Member
Impact
As your portfolio grows, it's good to have a solid pricing strategy. Without mentioning your specific domain names, I'm interested in the price categories you're using for your small, medium or larger portfolio.

Please be specific about what currencies you're using, and the rounding you prefer (i.e. are you using 1,510? 1,499? 1,480?). Are these BIN or Make Offer prices? (and if it's relevant, also mention where your nameservers are pointing to).

For me, in 2020, I'm pricing:

DAN: GBP (BIN/make offer/installments). See below for more details. Dutch .nl domains are priced in EUR.
Afternic: USD (BIN) + 80% Floor Price + $20 Minimum Offer (system default).
Sedo: USD for prices above 5,000 and EUR for prices below 5,000. No BIN, only Make Offer with a specific MIN listed. The MIN on Sedo is about the same as the BIN on DAN, with some conversion for currency.
DomainAgents: USD (BIN) for domains priced above USD 8,000. Make Offer without a specified MIN for all other domains. Domains listed in the 3 lower categories at DAN, are not listed on DomainAgents at all.

As I'm currently pointing all DNS to DAN, I'm using these GBP prices as my reference point for all calculations and conversions to other marketplaces. I'm using a semi-fixed markup factor, depending on fluctuating exchange rates and variations in commission percentages.

At the moment, I'm using the following price categories:

DAN.com BIN prices (GBP)

BIN + MIN at 80% + max. 10-12 installments

5,820 (7% of domains)

2,650 (7% of domains)
1,850 (10% of domains)
1,450 (8% of domains)

BIN only

(32% of domains)

(this posting was inspired by @Bob Hawkes "Minimum Offer Study" -- thanks Bob!)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you for sharing your pricing data. Clearly pricing is one of the most important parts of domain success.

i did an article on BIN pricing, by TLD, across all the marketplaces. While I only covered a few TLDs, and it is statistical by nature, it is probably relevant here.
https://www.namepros.com/blog/how-are-investors-pricing-their-domain-names.1213249/

For example, below is the data for .com. I also did .org, .co and .io in the article, and indicated how anyone can do a similar thing for any TLD or type of domain they wish.

Bob
COM_BIN.png

•••
As your portfolio grows, it's good to have a solid pricing strategy. Without mentioning your specific domain names, I'm interested in the price categories you're using for your small, medium or larger portfolio.

Please be specific about what currencies you're using, and the rounding you prefer (i.e. are you using 1,510? 1,499? 1,480?). Are these BIN or Make Offer prices? (and if it's relevant, also mention where your nameservers are pointing to).

For me, in 2020, I'm pricing:

DAN: GBP (BIN/make offer/installments). See below for more details. Dutch .nl domains are priced in EUR.
Afternic: USD (BIN) + 80% Floor Price + $20 Minimum Offer (system default).
Sedo: USD for prices above 5,000 and EUR for prices below 5,000. No BIN, only Make Offer with a specific MIN listed. The MIN on Sedo is about the same as the BIN on DAN, with some conversion for currency.
DomainAgents: USD (BIN) for domains priced above USD 8,000. Make Offer without a specified MIN for all other domains. Domains listed in the 3 lower categories at DAN, are not listed on DomainAgents at all.

As I'm currently pointing all DNS to DAN, I'm using these GBP prices as my reference point for all calculations and conversions to other marketplaces. I'm using a semi-fixed markup factor, depending on fluctuating exchange rates and variations in commission percentages.

At the moment, I'm using the following price categories:

DAN.com BIN prices (GBP)

BIN + MIN at 80% + max. 10-12 installments

(7% of domains)
(7% of domains)
1,850 (10% of domains)
1,450 (8% of domains)

BIN only

(32% of domains)

(this posting was inspired by @Bob Hawkes "Minimum Offer Study" -- thanks Bob!)

Thanks for this post. Do you find it beneficial to keep the minimum offer at $20? And why? I would expect a lot of bullshit offers for the min amount.

•••
Thanks for this post. Do you find it beneficial to keep the minimum offer at $20? And why? I would expect a lot of bullshit offers for the min amount.

Hello @Benzbuggie

I'm not that worried about receiving low offers, because sometimes these leads become buyers, even after a while. I'm constantly experimenting with pricing on different platforms -- as we all do. After writing the above article, I made the following change in Afternic pricing, as follows:

Afternic: USD BIN set for all domains + 90% Floor Price + 80% Minimum Offer for domains priced above USD 2,100. Domains with a BIN price below USD 2,100 have the same "BIN = MIN = Floor" setting.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back