Domain Empire

information [Podcast] Frank Schilling: State of New TLDs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
New top level domain names have been out for a couple years, and recently pressure has been mounting on the companies that sell them. Frank Schilling, who owns a portfolio of top level domain names and a registrar, discusses how new TLDs are doing and what’s happening at new TLD companies...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The old school domainers were able to start their own registries and are acting like newbies and coming up with garbage gtlds, just like the new guys register garbage domains. They forgot the lessons they learned when they started.

There is a lot of garbage gtlds that were aloud to come to market. Just because they could bring a new gtld to market doesn't mean that there is a need, demand, or support for it. Just as there are some garbage gtlds, there is also some gems hidden in the trash.

Why do we need or want a .biz(which isn't that popular to begin with) and a .business? The same thing can be asked of many other gtlds. Who is going to reg a .technology when there is a .tech??

There are many gtlds that have inflated numbers by selling cheap reg's or giving away domains. Some gtlds will thrive and become used by end users. It is my belief that there will be many that fail. There is some debate going on about what will happen when a gltd or any other tld fails. Domainers and end users will be the ones that get hurt if and when a tld fails.

I just looked at a thread for .one, you know that .1 will be coming soon now, so why jump into the .one market? Will there a .two or .2? Maybe!

Many gtlds only have a couple domains/keywords that work with that gtld. Those will be the ones that fail both in sales numbers from the registrars and sales in the aftermarket.

If there are an unlimited number of domains/keywords that work with the gtld, it will succeed!

•••
The old school domainers were able to start their own registries and are acting like newbies and coming up with garbage gtlds, just like the new guys register garbage domains. They forgot the lessons they learned when they started.

There is a lot of garbage gtlds that were aloud to come to market. Just because they could bring a new gtld to market doesn't mean that there is a need, demand, or support for it. Just as there are some garbage gtlds, there is also some gems hidden in the trash.

That is a valid point. Most of the people behind the new GTLD program made their fortunes with .COM, most of which they registered 10-20 years ago.

While many of the people involved were successful because of their business acumen and foresight, others seem to have achieved success mainly through fortunate timing.

The people making money now are the ones selling the picks and shovels aka the registries and registrars. They are selling the dream.

It is simply impossible for all these new extensions to hold value. There is not demand in the market to support it. Also, every new extension that comes out will further dilute other new ones. You have similar meanings (photo, pic, photos, photography, etc.), singular and plural, many in a single field (law, legal, attorney, esq, etc.)

The only business model that seems to make sense is unloading as many garbage domains as possible either for free or sub $1 regs (XYZ, TOP, etc.) and hope a small % renew their domains.

These extensions are the reason the total gTLD registration volume is a joke, as well as many hundreds of thousands of registry reserved domains.

Brad

•••
I wish someone would interview me so I can tell everyone how my domains hold immense value while simultaneously selling them.

•••
I started a thread yesterday about a problem I encountered while trying to buy a domain in the aftermarket. No responses yet other then a couple votes in the poll.

I wanted to put a bid on a gtld domain, but didn't know what the renewal price would be. I'm still no sure how to find out, because I can't ask the question without placing the bid. I don't want to email the seller either.

This stopped me from placing the bid. I think when and if an auction is won and then it comes to light that a domain has a huge renewal cost, there are going to be some major issues. This will put a halt on gtld sales in the aftermarket. I'm shocked this problem hasn't really been addressed yet!

I don't want to say the domain or the gtld involved. I'm still going to try for it. I just need some advice on how to find out the renewal costs for a domain without drawing to much attention to it.

The crazy pricing will come back to bite us all in the butt soon. It makes it hard to buy and sell in the aftermarket.

•••
•••
•••
just heard from a firm who wants to help pay renewal fees - interesting, but I'll pay my own (DEV) or drop 'em

What's the catch? Did they want a "share" of the domain?

Don't drop them if someone is interested in paying your fees! Give them a rent to own option or something.

•••
Good luck competing with this guy. Every good name is a redirect to a domainnamesales site

and its fucking annoying

•••
I believe most of the new tld's will be gone in the next few years with only a few surviving. These guys have put up a ton of money for the rights to these new tld's and have a lot riding on them, Frank S. included.

I think only the ones that make the most sense will still be around in a few years.

Yes there is some action in the market, but mostly from investors with only a relative few end user sales.

I hope Frank S. does not lose his shirt, I have many domains regged with Uniregistry and I fear what a failure of his new tlds might mean for his overall business.

.xyz does not make much sense but may survive because of its use by Google and the influence they have.

•••
i don't think Frank will lose his shirt.

.xyz is terrible and makes no sense (sorry .xyz owners)

I don't think google will be using .xyz in any major way. They aren't now. They just got .xyz for the "Alphabet" play.

There will be alot of failures in the gtld market space! There will also be some winners. I personally think there will be more losers than winners.

.democrat .republican somebody has to lose!

•••
That is a valid point. Most of the people behind the new GTLD program made their fortunes with .COM, most of which they registered 10-20 years ago.

While many of the people involved were successful because of their business acumen and foresight, others seem to have achieved success mainly through fortunate timing.

The people making money now are the ones selling the picks and shovels aka the registries and registrars. They are selling the dream.

It is simply impossible for all these new extensions to hold value. There is not demand in the market to support it. Also, every new extension that comes out will further dilute other new ones. You have similar meanings (photo, pic, photos, photography, etc.), singular and plural, many in a single field (law, legal, attorney, esq, etc.)

The only business model that seems to make sense is unloading as many garbage domains as possible either for free or sub $1 regs (XYZ, TOP, etc.) and hope a small % renew their domains.

These extensions are the reason the total gTLD registration volume is a joke, as well as many hundreds of thousands of registry reserved domains.

Brad
Compelling argument.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back