Dynadot

discuss Plural - Singular -Both?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
I know there's been a lot of discussion over the years about whether to register the plural or singular of a particular domain, but if you're in doubt doesn't it make sense to register both if they're available?

Assuming you were able to buy both the plural and singular of names like complaint.com and complaints.com would you try to sell them together or separately? Thanks(y)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There isn’t a definitive answer, it really depends on the word. If it is a good word, registering both may make sense. In your example I would love to own either one or both names, but the plural is much better in my opinion. On the other hand, I own Activations(.)com and, although I really like the name, I would trade it in a heartbeat for the singular. It just makes more sense for business in that case.

I would probably market them individually, although I could see trying to sell the same buyer the alternative after a deal has been made for the other version.

•••
If you are selling multiple products or variants of the same product then the plural would be more beneficial imo

I would prefer Mortgages over Mortgage for example - though I'd bite your arm off for either.....

Again Toys over Toy would be my choice.....

With colours I would prefer Red over Reds or Purple over Purples (Blue or Blues is a good exception where both would be very nice)

Just depends......

And if you can try and grab the plural and non plural as a defensive measure....

Last edited:
•••
There isn’t a definitive answer, it really depends on the word. If it is a good word, registering both may make sense. In your example I would love to own either one or both names, but the plural is much better in my opinion. On the other hand, I own Activations(.)com and, although I really like the name, I would trade it in a heartbeat for the singular. It just makes more sense for business in that case.

I would probably market them individually, although I could see trying to sell the same buyer the alternative after a deal has been made for the other version.
Thanks Digi....ironically I happen to own Activation.link and while I can buy Activations.link cheap I passed on it.

In my example, while not exact i did buy both, but as much as a defensive measure like NickB was saying. Both domains had been registered, but obviously never sold. Thanks again.

•••
For me....It plural over single.
Nobody wants a CAR ! 🚘

Everybody wants CARS ! .🚘🚘🚘🚘🚘🚘🚘

Has to be plural!!! CARS .🚘🚘🚘🚘🚘🚘🚘

•••
It depends on the term.

Often times the plural tense is better to sell products but the singular tense is a better brand.

Brad

•••
For me....It plural over single.
Nobody wants a CAR ! 🚘

Everybody wants CARS ! .🚘🚘🚘🚘🚘🚘🚘

Has to be plural!!! CARS .🚘🚘🚘🚘🚘🚘🚘
Yes.....Homes(.)com, a local company to me is HUGE. I noticed too that in the top 500 all time domain sales Wine.com sold for 3.3M in 2003 and Wines.com sold for 2.9M in 2004.

•••
I noticed too that in the top 500 all time domain sales Wine.com sold for 3.3M in 2003 and Wines.com sold for 2.9M in 2004.
In this example I'd prefer the singular (although would also bite arms off for either).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back