Domain Empire

PLEASE upgrade your server(s)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

theSun

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
It took 20 seconds just to create one thread, and it usually stalls.

I also really dislike the daily downtime for 1.5 hours for backup. No forums need to be down for backup. It should run 24-7, and backup simultaneously.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I also really dislike the daily downtime for 1.5 hours for backup. No forums need to be down for backup. It should run 24-7, and backup simultaneously.

The backup issue came up awhile back and it seems that thread has been forgotten.

Imho, there certainly seems to be a configuration issue, since backing up the database of the size NP has shouldn't take more than about 2 minutes or so.

And no need to close the forum during that time, though, if the admin wanted to play it extra safe, closing for 5 minutes or so would like be sufficient.

It could be the VBulletin counter updates and other tasks are scheduled to run at or near the same time as the database backup.

For most NP users, the downtime isn't a biggie, but it's annoying when one hits that window. So it's easy to understand that NP can ignore the issue, especially if the duration of db backup time has remained about the same - though if it's getting longer, it's an issue NP should seriously address, because it could be a sign of a more serious problem.

Ron

•••
Since I posted this... I have made two posts and 1 pm...

Each one took about 2 mins to process. I should have kept quiet :)

This one took about 1.5 - site has become unusable almost last 15 minutes...lol

Last edited:
•••
Yeah I have to say NP does not respond to me sometimes. It's painful browsing here and reddit (reddit always has downtime issues -_-)

•••
I get timeouts some days for about 30 mins at a time. Sometimes also experience slow loading.

During these times i have tried accessing namepros through various web proxys in totally different locations and get the same result (Just to see if a page loads, not for use). I never went with any further testing, as i can handle having a bit of downtime.

To help narrow the issue, i'll try some trace routes from different servers and see what i come up with, when this happens again. If they're not an issue, we'll see what page load times are.

And I like how you edited out the "PS: U r a noob." comment... no need to be rude man.
I guess he realized how immature he would sound. Glad he removed it. Did you ever see a cent of that $1,000,000,000?

PS - I love NamePros. :)

-Rhett.

Last edited:
•••
Since I have very little to do with the Technical side of NamePros I am not qualified to really respond to the issues you are mentioning. I have sent a PM to RJ alerting him to this thread.

~Rachel

•••
Since I have very little to do with the Technical side of NamePros I am not qualified to really respond to the issues you are mentioning. I have sent a PM to RJ alerting him to this thread.

~Rachel

I've not had one single problem since I last posted: I swear, if I was a cat I'd land on my back.

I've posted less also - but it's very sporadic performance issue for me and not something that's a big issue like others.

•••
I've tweaked a few things on the vBulletin side, so I hope that helps a bit with the speed. Server-wise, I'm not sure what can be done at this point with the database backups. Maybe there's something that could be done with the database server, which I'll look into a few things, and run them by RJ.

•••
I've tweaked a few things on the vBulletin side, so I hope that helps a bit with the speed. Server-wise, I'm not sure what can be done at this point with the database backups. Maybe there's something that could be done with the database server, which I'll look into a few things, and run them by RJ.

Appreciate everything you do. I've seen 2-3 posts from you this week with improvements in mind.

Being visible like this is a GREAT thing imho :)

J.

•••
We are now using a Content Delivery Network (CDN) to deliver all the images, CSS, avatars, and JavaScript on NamePros. The CDN is a worldwide network of servers that will automatically use whichever server is nearest you to serve the files.

This will reduce the load on our main server and should make things significantly faster around the forum, especially for users outside the United States.

Thanks again to Eric for the suggestion!

RJ

•••
Awesome :)

A bit more info on the issue, i had this happens a couple days ago. I did traceroutes from here and another server in the US, the traceroutes were fine from all, just no loading page from either.

Hopefully your new changes make a difference! And Thanks!!!

=D

-Rhett.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back