Domain Empire

Please test affiliate link...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lyte

Pros Against PrejudiceEstablished Member
Impact
The links below aren't working for me. I've emailed the affilate I'm working with (SunSpotWeb) and they say the links work fine! For me, they either go no where or link to some other affilate URL.

http://www.sunspotweb.com/aff/2B4105604BDEAC4665A4?8E589ABDCCA60A2178A28A6492DE53DFC139B942

With the one above I got a "Cannot find server" page but the URL remains the same.

http://www.sunspotweb.com/aff/47FDDD77718A55DB55F9?6A210960BEAAD1631CC551A850824268946C9F05

With this one I get the same "Cannot find server" page but the URL changes to...

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin...8509.10000202&type=3&subid=0MPmrbr223bb57b556

AND... I find that http://linksynergy.com is redirected to Link Share which is different affiliate company.

So... is it me?? Is it my computer... browser... what??? I cleaned out my cookies, temp files, etc and still the link aren't doing what they are supposed to do!

Please test them and tell me where they send you!

Thanks!

Lyte

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All work! :kickass:

http://linksynergy.com = "Link Share" link........Yes, that is correct. That can mess you up when trying to fix a bad link. ;)

Check your original link, it was synergy not share. I'm not sure they do it that way, but I think it has to do with an old domain name or aquisition or something. Do not really remember. :-/

•••
Okay, now I'm totally confused!

If they all work why are they not working for me?? This link...

http://www.sunspotweb.com/aff/47FDDD77718A55DB55F9?6A210960BEAAD1631CC551A850824268946C9F05

is supposed to go to a Chase Bank card but when I click on it it goes to a dead "Cannot find server... the page cannot be displayed" page with that linksynergy address.

Why is my computer/browser not processing the link properly???

Thoughts??

Many thanks in advance!!

Lyte

•••
Links work for me also.

Try clearing your browser cache if you haven't already.
Also try the link through a proxy service like proxify.com.
It's possible you're having some dns resolution problems.

Good luck!

•••
nutcase said:
Links work for me also. Try clearing your browser cache if you haven't already. Also try the link through a proxy service like proxify.com.
It's possible you're having some dns resolution problems. Good luck!

How do you clear your browser "cache?" Is that like cookies and temp files?? If so, did that...and the links still don't work for me.

What's a proxy server??

Lyte

•••
A server that acts as an intermediary between a user's computer and the computer they want to access. If a user makes a request for a resource from computer "A," this request is directed to the proxy server, which makes the request, gets the response from computer "A," and then forwards the response to the client. Proxy servers are useful for accessing World Wide Web resources from inside a firewall.

•••
Links work for me also..

•••
Okay, I've just tried the links from here at my office and the work. Ughghgh.... D-: so why might the links not work from my home computer??

Please help! :(

Lyte

•••
im using firefox and they don't work for me :(
anyway all linkshare and stuff like that pages don't work for me, and I don't want them to work for me :)

•••
majinbuu1023 said:
im using firefox and they don't work for me :(
anyway all linkshare and stuff like that pages don't work for me, and I don't want them to work for me :)

Thanks for checking them majinbuu!! At least I know that I'm not loosing my mind!!! ;) I guess I'm not going to be able to use SSW for Chase and BofA. Shrug.

I still wanna know why though! I'm kinda Type A that way! :lol:

Lyte

•••
Do a file search on your main windows drive for a file called HOSTS. It contains hosts that are not allowed by the browser. Certain programs put a list of hosts in there, mostly ads and one of them is linkshare. It will keep from being able to display the ads. I took all them out of the HOSTS file (don't take out 127.0.0.1) and it worked fine after that.

•••
sunken said:
Do a file search on your main windows drive for a file called HOSTS.

Sunken, so you couldn't work them either until you changed that HOSTS file??

I'm afraid I'm not very computer literate... how/where do I go to do a file search on my main windows drive??? :lol: :red:

Thanks!

Lyte

•••
It's usually in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts At least that is where it in Win2K. You can do a search from your Start Menu for it. I REALLY recommend though that you have somebody that knows computers to do it for you as anything in the system32 drawer should only be messed with by people who know what they are doing...and since I have 2K and not XP, not sure I can tell you what is in the XP file and whether it's different than 2K or not.

But I did get that same 'server not found' problem with Linkshare and others when the host file had those entries in it. Actually I went about a year with that problem, trying all the cookies and temp file fixes and didn't put linkshare up on my site because I couldn't see the ads, and one night I had a virus and I had to edit the hosts file to get rid of the virus and that is when I found all that stuff in it. I took it out and it all worked fine. In fact I just put up some shutterfly banners tonight...

Maybe someone with XP could send you the hosts file to just put into place. That would probably be the easiest...As I said, I'd do it, but mine is win2K, not sure it's the same.

Last edited:
•••
Yup, I have XP Pro... anyone have an idea of what files I need to loose out of that HOSTS file??

Thanks!

Lyte

•••
First thing I would do if you are going to try it is to back it up by copying it to a different name (or directory) so that you can restore it in case it doesn't work again. On mine, it was everything lower than the 127.0.0.1 that was in there at the top. It had a header that said added and a date, although some programs probably put different things there and then it had a list that was quite long with things like clicksor, linkshare, yahoo and others. On 2K and PROBABLY the same on XP Pro the only thing that you seemed to need to keep in there was the 127.0.0.1 and above if you don't have anything else like a web server running, or whatever. You could try taking everything out and saving it and see if that fixes your problems, and if not, return to the backup if you have that or other problems. Best I can tell ya. Good luck...

•••
Super cool info... thanks! And PM sent... err.. sending. :]

EDIT:

Eureka!

I’m every so happy to report you were right on the money and my link problem is fixed!!!

Thank you… thank you!!

Lyte *insert happy happy dance emoticon here* :lol:

Last edited:
•••
You are most welcome! Glad to be of service! I know I was glad to discover that one myself...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back