Dynadot

advice Please help a newbie (I really do mean please)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainsnamer

Established Member
Impact
Hello, if you have time, I would really appreciate some guidance / constructive feedback on my entry to this (crazy) interesting domain market. I have had some personal issues in the last year or so, so this has been a great outlet for me. I love this community.

I started in late Jan 2022 and have done the following:
- listened to everything I can find on podcasts (e.g. DomainSherpa, DomainNameWire)
- read blogs / watched youtube
- created a website https://www.domainsearch.guru/
- set-up a LinkedIn account https://www.linkedin.com/in/domainsearchguruldn/
- set-up Twitter account @domainsnamer
- listed on all domains on Afternic
- Setup and listed all domains on Dan.com
- created a separate pages on my site for .io domains and .com domains

Oh, and I have bought over 700 domains, many of which I wish I had never done! Lesson learned. I do think however I have some good .io and .com names, and I am now moving away form hand-reg and into the drops; I do like Expired Domains, watching (not yet buying) on Namejet... and generally pausing on new domains until I have some luck selling. So far... zero. I am patient for sales of course, but wondered what this community thought on what I have done, any tips, thoughts, opinions, etc.

A million thanks in advance.

All the best
James

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domains in general have a relatively slow sell-through rate, normally in the 1%-2% range per year when it comes to average quality domains at average end user prices.

This can vary up or down based on the quality, extension, price, exposure, and other factors.

If you are not getting much interest it is normally one (of more) of the following -

1.) Lack of quality.

2.) Lack of quantity. You need a decent size portfolio to overcome a low sell-through rate.

3.) Lack of exposure. If your domains are listed on popular venues and with quality landers, the likelihood of a sale goes up.

Aftermarket domains are going to generally be higher quality than hand regs. Any hand reg today is in a highly competitive market that already has 170M+ .COM registrations.

Brad

•••
All good points @bmugford

I'd like to add 'unrealistic pricing' to your list.

•••
Don't use a TM holder's own logo to turn acceptably generic words into a blatant violation of their TM.

•••
I don't think your domains are that bad and you seem to have a good start.

In addition to what the others have said: domaining is long term. You just started in January 2022. Give it a year or two. Focus on creating dense quality in the meantime.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back