IT.COM

services Plated.com - From a $9.99 registration, to a $300 million acquisition by Albertsons

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Plated, operating from Plated.com, sends its customers the necessary ingredients to cook their own meals. This is what a “meal kit service” is all about.
plated-com.jpg
Plated.com was just acquired by Albertsons to the tune of $300 million dollars.
According to an article on CNBC, the founders bought a “$9.99 domain from GoDaddy,” in 2012, and it’s been a learning curve since...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just saw these guys on a re-run of Shark Tank yesterday.

•••
This is misleading. The domain was not sold for $300m the business was.

yahoo.com was a hand reg as was eBay.com at that time. So, they sell for billions someday and you come in and claim the domains sold for that?

I realize you're just paraphrasing an article but still. Domaingang is known for sensationalism.

Last edited:
•••
don't read domaingang
if you don't want to become confused

•••
The domain didn't sell for that obviously, however it does show that handregs can still be used as great company names. All hand-regs are not created equal ofcourse.

•••
This example does not mean that a domain name does not matter, quite the contrary in fact.

Plated is a very good domain name for this business. To plate means to serve or arrange food on a plate before a meal.

To me this affirms that an EMD or at least a real word or words domain especially something that connects to what the business does or stands for remains the best choice for a business. These guys were just lucky to have found such a domain as a hand reg.

Last edited:
•••
These guys were just lucky to have found such a domain as a hand reg.

They didn't hand reg plated.com in 2012;
Domain Name: PLATED.COM
Creation Date: 2008-05-17

I found the article confusing too; it doesn't clarify, but I'm assuming they must have begun with a hand-regged domain in 2012 but it doesn't say what that name was; then obviously somewhere along the way they upgraded and bought Plated.com. Would be interesting to know what their original hand reg was, and what they paid for plated.com.

:)

•••
True, I didn't think about how Domaingang tends to exaggerate if not prevaricate. The post above implies that they did hand reg plated.com which hand reg just means that you...hand reg it (versus bought it from a domainer), doesn't mean that you are the first to do it. It could have dropped and been available for hand reg in 2012.

Hmm, if this company did not hand reg plated.com for 9.99 then this entire thread and article are practically pointless!

Last edited:
•••
Plated means something rude where im from lol.

•••
You know, I made a comment yesterday right on the article itself about how this is the sale of the business not the domain, and so far, Domaingang suppressed the comment. They seem not interested in the truth, just misleading sensationalism.

•••
What's my np user name worth then lol haha it's only one letter out

•••
•••
We had sold Plated.in to them. :)

•••
•••
Very interesting for about a second!

•••
Great news for who ever has sold that property 👍🏻 Obviously business is sold along with the domain.

•••
•••
as always obtaining the name is not the whole sport. Building a destination worth visiting is.

•••
This is misleading. The domain was not sold for $300m the business was.

yahoo.com was a hand reg as was eBay.com at that time. So, they sell for billions someday and you come in and claim the domains sold for that?

I realize you're just paraphrasing an article but still. Domaingang is known for sensationalism.

What's misleading? Oh, you failed to read the article and came here to complain.

Where did the article say the domain was sold for $300 million?

Sensationalism exists in your mind only.

Last edited:
•••
•••
What's misleading? Oh, you failed to read the article and came here to complain.

Where did the article say the domain was sold for $300 million?

Sensationalism exists in your mind only.

Clickbait refers to the headline. Not the article content. The headline clearly indicates that plated.com was hand regged for 10$ by the current owner. Which it was not.

You are not the only one using such techniques today but own it if you do it.

•••
Clickbait refers to the headline. Not the article content. The headline clearly indicates that plated.com was hand regged for 10$ by the current owner. Which it was not.

You are not the only one using such techniques today but own it if you do it.

Classic domainer, looking for a massive sale in the millions for a "domain" versus a business. But you only saw what you wanted to see, without processing either the headline, or the article.

As a matter of fact, the article debunks the story about how they only paid $9.99 for the domain. Did you want that too in the headline? I ran out of space, so read the article.

•••
Classic clickbait.. Make a claim in the headline and "debunk it" in the article.

If you really want readers, turn down the hostility a notch or two.

•••
I'm sorry you feel this way.

Please come write my blog, the way you want.

That was a click bait.

•••
Thats OK. Done without till now. Certain I will survive.

Though if you want to write, I think a terminology course could go a long way. That way when you write a clickbait headline, you will know.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back