IT.COM

picelartcomic.com – Spamhaus blacklist?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SmegBall

Established Member
Impact
I purchased pixelartcomic.com through PorkBun on 3-20-21. Haven't touched the domain (no email, adjusting DNS settings, etc.). Received an email today from PorkBun saying Spamhause has the domain on their blacklist due to it being a "spam domain". Anyone have something like this happen? Ironically, I just listed it last night on GoDaddy to sell as well.

Thanks in advance for any insight from a domainer newb.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's something very common. Just delist it from Spamhaus, they have a form for that.

It happens quite often even with some domains we have that aren't sending any emails and protected via SPF and DMARC. Seems Spamhaus is not really reliable in flagging.

•••
Ok, I was like WTF. Thanks for letting me know.

•••
Ok, I was like WTF. Thanks for letting me know.

Don't worry, it's no biggie. happens to us like once each 6 months, most often in Spamhaus but in others too. But we don't do any outbound, just replies to customer inquiries. So nothing qualifies as spam. You can think of it as a glitch.

Make sure you use SPF at least. For example to block anyone from sending email, add a TXT record with this content: "v=spf1 -all" , without the quotes. you need to add 3 records like this, and in the host field enter: @ (root), then another for: www. Side note we also add a third for * (subdomains) to be 100% sure, if there are any.

Side note anyone managing their own email have to periodically do these things as part of maintaining email deliverability. If your domain is for sale, being in a blacklist is no problem. The new buyer simply delists it and unless they start doing spam, emails will work just fine.

Edit: "v=spf1 -all" means all emails are blocked and this domain isn't sending any. If you want to send some, you need to whitelist your server IP, for example: "v=spf1 +ip4:22.33.44.55 -all" will whitelist the IP=22.33.44.55 and everyone else is blocked.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back