IT.COM

Phpbb or SMF ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am currently stuck between choosing Phpbb or SMF forum software.

So, I would like you guys to tell me which do you prefer and why.

Thanks ! ;)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Out of the two. SMF is my preference.

PhpBB has a fair bit more support and content, but SMF is easier to use, and doesnt lack in skins/content and has lots of 3rd party add-ons, I find its more secure and better with larger loads of members/threads.

Using SMF login externally from the forums and other forum content is quite simple, not done it with phpbb though.

•••
I'm a long-time user of SMF, and fully recommend it.

•••
SMF, much easier to install, personalize and moderating

•••
I've dabbled with phpbb3 but I can only compare it with the older version of smf (1.x) which I am running on a couple of my sites. 2.0 is currently available as a release candidate.

While I've found that there's alot to like about phpbb3, I still prefer smf. The main things that appeal to me is that mods are much easier to implement in smf, and I have also found more themes that I like, available for smf.

•••
If you are looking at just free forum products, I would go with SMF. It is much better than phpbb in my opinion.

•••
Go with phpbb3 if you want to make your forums look good. i wont recommend SMF. and more, there are more plugins for phpbb3 than SMF. i know its hard to install plugins but once you get a grip on it, its an easy task!

•••
Phpbb in my opinion just installed a smf forum for someone and they seem to be having trouble with it, ive always favour phpbb over smf anyway but i guess its down to personal opinion.

•••
I'd say SMF for pretty much everything (especially intergration and modification).

That said, I still think PHPBB has a better *feel* overall ;)

•••
I'd say SMF for pretty much everything (especially intergration and modification).

That said, I still think PHPBB has a better *feel* overall ;)

But the are so less no. of mods for SMF i think in comparison to Phpbb?

•••
I recommend SMF especially when used with SimplePortal ( SimplePortal ) or TinyPortal ( TinyPortal ). I am currently using Simple on a new site which I am trying to get off the ground.

•••
You can try portals in phpBB too, and its better.
but i think you can go with leased license of vBulletin

•••
I prefer SMF. Since I have started using SMF haven't bothered about other forum scripts. It has good skins, good security and enough good mods.

•••
From my experience I would recommend you use SMF
It has better view and more secure
I can be mistaken

•••
i will still advice phpBB if you can spare your time since phpBB looks far better than it. all of the famous forums use phpBB instead of SMF.

•••
i would suggest SMF because they are user friendly than phpbb and they are quite easy to handle , install and personalize them.

•••
SMF for sure. It's the only free forum software I've used and it's been quite brilliant. Highly customizable and extremely user friendly.

•••
PHPbb but it is more prone to spam than SMF. So go for SMF:)

•••
I am tired with spam posting on phpbb so I think smf is the best forum for me.

•••
Phpbb, definately. Its got most, if not all of the feature of vb, but in different ways, and is also free. I love its interface and just find it generally easy to use.
Demo : free forums

•••
PhpBB is good for themes and features. But trouble with phpbb is security issues in comparison to SMF. SMF is free but has features which are competitive to commercial forum services. One thing to notice that most of the features of VB are there in both packages.

•••
SMF is extremely useful if you like user-friendliness in regards to styles and modifications. It's just as iffy to install mods in phpBB3 as it is in phpBB2. SMF allows you to install themes and mods via zip files directly, phpBB3 doesn't have this yet.

phpBB3 has far more functions however, better support (imo) and if you do know how to install styles and mods then your rewards are far greater.

•••
One more thing about PhpBB is that learning curve for newbies is steep. You can learn SMF quickly but that is not the case with PhpBB, some functions are scattered and makes interface hard to navigate sometimes.

•••
Vote for phpbb definitely ;easier to do some seo preparation ...

•••
In my opinion Phpbb is the best free forum script. They develop this script so much,you can find almost every module you want and you will get support from their official forum in maxim 12 hours.Also i think is more SEO friendly than SMF ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back