Domain Empire

.us Petition for Ron Jackson to further discuss "ccTLDs- Is North America Immune" panel

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
http://www.dnjournal.com/lowdown.htm

After Latona's opening comments, the show's first business session got underway with Neustar's Ken Hansen and Steve Smith of WebNames joining me in a panel discussion titled ccTLDs are Taking Over the World - Is North America Immune? The session, moderated by Rick Silver, covered the prospects for America's .US extension and Canada's .CA as they try to gain recognition on a continent where they have been overshadowed by .com.

tue-dotus-panel.jpg

(L to R in the photo above) Ron Jackson (DN Journal), Ken Hansen (Neustar, operator of the
.US registry) and Steve Smith (registrar Webnames) discuss the prospects for .US and .CA.

With conference activity to cover almost around the clock, I won't have time to get into the specifics of the business sessions until we produce our comprehensive conference review article a few days after the conference ends but I can say that the overall consensus from this seminar was that .US and .CA are both making slow but steady progress as more businesses use the extensions (in the case of .US, Maserati.us, Shell.us, Transamerica.us, Hitachi.us, BASF.us and Carrabas.us are just a few examples) and search engines giving them favorable positions in local search results.

Please provide an overview of this and discuss in the greatest detail possible.

Signed

Jaco

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Snoop,

this is page 7 were on,

why you still reading page 1 ?

:)

I thought you were smartish, but maybee not,

You cant compare giving out a .us to every new business (which makes sense) to your ideas,

-give out a .us domain to every newborn baby
-give out a .us domain when people walk into a cinema
-give out a .us domain when someone buys a ream of paper form the local store
-give out a .us domain with every shake at Mc Donalds
-give out a .us domain when people graduate from college

You really need to have a word with yourself.

youre lucky you got in domaining early as there would be no hope for you if you started today. (thats another FACT for you :)

•••
I know I said I wouldn't post but there's not really a .us forum and this seems the most appropriate spot.

Legitimate question:

Anheuser-Busch.

A large company. Not American anymore but big seller of AMERICAN BEER.
Would be a huge fan of .us if they only knew about it?

Come Monday:

They're dropping Amberbock, Odouls, michelobclassicdark.us, budicelightbeer.us, budicebeer.us...

I think that says a lot, don't you?

The real question I would love to ask. If someone was to buy all of your domains for the CURRENT maximum perceived value and assuming you accepted... would you still continue with this thread?

How much are you a fan of .us vs how much do you want increase in value of your investment.

The answer to that question will tell you the difference between yourselves and the people you are hoping to influence.

•••
Legitimate question:

Anheuser-Busch.

Come Monday:

They're dropping Amberbock, Odouls, michelobclassicdark.us, budicelightbeer.us, budicebeer.us...

Doesn't mean much IMO. Big companies frequently drop non core domains for various reasons.

One example -

Dell dropped a handful of good generics recently. I picked up one of their .INFO drops for $10 and sold it for $3500 a couple weeks later.

Why did they drop them? Who knows. It happens all the time in every extension.

I have said in the past I am comfortable with where .US is right now. There are buyers for premium keywords today.

Will .US explode overnight? No.
Will .US grow slowly but steadily? Probably.

Brad

•••
I didn't say I had 100 *good* ideas,
When people say that they could think up 100 ideas, it is assumed that those were going to be good ideas, otherwise the sky is the limit on the number of bad ideas that a person could come up with.

I'm negative on .us and have been for a long time,...
Now we all know why Snoopy keeps discouraging us from coming up with any new ideas for promoting .US, he is afraid that some of our ideas might actually work. :)

-

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

How much are you a fan of .us vs how much do you want increase in value of your investment.

The answer to that question will tell you the difference between yourselves and the people you are hoping to influence.
Its hard to separate being a .US fan from being a .US investor, If I sold some of my premium domains for a price that was acceptable to me, I would most likely develop some of my other .US domains that I take a personal interest in and would still like to see .US become successful.

-

Last edited:
•••
I know I said I wouldn't post but there's not really a .us forum and this seems the most appropriate spot.

Legitimate question:

Anheuser-Busch.

Come Monday:

The real question I would love to ask. If someone was to buy all of your domains for the CURRENT maximum perceived value and assuming you accepted... would you still continue with this thread?

Yeah, I'm going to drop my names because one beer company did. That isn't very logical. Maybe you should drop all your COMs because 85,000 .COMs dropped yesterday. It is the same logic. ;)

Posting at NP is going to influence anything. Reality Check. OK. The people posting in the ccTLD threads would be happy to not influence the naysayers, if the naysayers would just go away and let us discuss the ccTLD market in peace. I'm sure this goes for people in this thread as well as the MOBI, TEL, PRO, INFO and all the ccTLD threads too. If anybody is trying to influence anyone, it is the naysayers trying to influence the non-COM owners. We are just trying to keep the discussion going without being bombarded day in and day out.

Seriously, .US owners know that .US isn't .COM. .US isn't worth as much. .US End Users are harder to find. True. True. True. We all know this.

What is also true is that .US is the official and only ccTLD of the United States of America, a country of 300 million people. In ten years the USA will still be here, there will be even more people and .US is still going to be our ccTLD.

Seriously, I am not trying to influence what you buy. Please don't buy any .US, it is risky and you'll probably lose money. If I am trying to influence you, it is to you to add something constructive to the thread and improve the quality of the NP forum. Post some ideas. Post one idea. Post anything constructive at all. I dare you. :p

•••
You cant compare giving out a .us to every new business (which makes sense) to your ideas,

-give out a .us domain to every newborn baby
-give out a .us domain when people walk into a cinema
-give out a .us domain when someone buys a ream of paper form the local store
-give out a .us domain with every shake at Mc Donalds
-give out a .us domain when people graduate from college

You really need to have a word with yourself.

The ideas are little different, it is all just stuff that makes no sense and is never going to happen. The ideas are an absolute waste of time thinking up.

youre lucky you got in domaining early as there would be no hope for you if you started today. (thats another FACT for you :)

What is factual is the performance of different tlds over time. It is pretty clear how things have gone. Oldtimer states time is fast running out. I'd say it ran out years ago.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

When people say that they could think up 100 ideas, it is assumed that those were going to be good ideas, otherwise the sky is the limit on the number of bad ideas that a person could come up with.

I've said many times in this thread there is no hope for promoting .us into a mainstream extension. Extensions either grow naturally because there is real demand or they dont. Thinking up crazy ideas that nobody will actually fund or do is a complete waste of time. People will think up ideas and say they are great as long as they don't need to do anything or spend anything. Those ideas are a complete waste of time. It is drawing checks on an empty bank account.

Now we all know why Snoopy keeps discouraging us from coming up with any new ideas for promoting .US, he is afraid that some of our ideas might actually work. :)

I know there is no hope for any of these ideas. All these ideas about trade organisations, promotions, fund raising. It is all a complete lot of hot air. You'll never do anything about it, and after you've done nothing, you'll probably blame some else.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

The people posting in the ccTLD threads would be happy to not influence the naysayers, if the naysayers would just go away and let us discuss the ccTLD market in peace.

I think that is along way from reality, there is alot of hot air in this thread, there has been alot of hot air around alt tlds for years.

•••
So we shouldn’t come up with any new ideas to improve the standing of an extension that we like and have invested in because Snoopy who has already admitted that he didn’t like .US tells us that we are all wasting our time here. :)

Snoopy, its not right to try to suppress new ideas from members here, after all exchanging ideas is one of the main reasons for having a forum.

-

Last edited:
•••
Post one idea. Post anything constructive at all. I dare you. :p

Here's my idea.

Buy quality .US
AND
(
Develop the .US and monetize
OR
Find an end user and sell .US for a profit
)

Quit worrying about a few individuals can influence a market that you say is potentially 300 million strong. It's not going to happen.

Worry about influencing the few end users you target.

My statement with regard to the beer drops was to counter the argument that the problem is "lack of recognition". Dropping marketed brand names - is not that. I'm not saying that you should drop everything, I'm saying you (royal you) should come up with a different reason for why the .US is what it is.

Also. I don't buy the "we're in the .US fan club" schtick. I own .US. They have horrible natural traffic (zero for a single word EXACT term searched over 120,000 times a month for example).

You CAN own a .US and not be a fan. Thinking that individual investers can change an entire geographic market is like pissing in the wind.

It's like owning a bunch of parking lots in the desert and suggesting that the government should be doing more to encourage people to drive out to look at the sand.

I actually think that segments of .us has a lot of upside right now (and a lot of downside). But that's the economy (yes, Snoop that doesn't help) right now for you.

It's why I have jobseeker.us

•••
The ideas are little different, it is all just stuff that makes no sense and is never going to happen. The ideas are an absolute waste of time thinking up.

A little differant :) Like i said get a grip.

What is factual is the performance of different tlds over time. It is pretty clear how things have gone. Oldtimer states time is fast running out. I'd say it ran out years ago.

8 years is where were at, how many did it take for .com to catch on ? 15 ?

Your replies have no meat, and to be honest dont deserve a reply from me :)

•••
Will .US explode overnight? No.
Will .US grow slowly but steadily? Probably.
Problem is that AFAIK most extensions are growing, with a few exceptions.

So .us can grow and still not keep pace with .com. Like .biz.
At the end of the day it is losing the race and even becomes more marginal in comparison.

The comparison is not adequate. Between 1985 (inception of gTLD) and 1993 there was no WWW so the Internet was not big then.

In 2002 (when .us opened) the Internet was well established and mature.

It would be more appropriate to compare .com between 1993 and 2001 with .us between 2002 and 2010.

•••
Yes true that,

cant compare the dates, i'll give that :)

I'm happy :)

•••
I have a feeling that Snoopy is going to hang low for a while until the next .US thread which he would probably start fresh with all of his naysaying stuff again as if no one is going to remember that he is on a mission. :)

In all honesty we shouldn’t blame Snoopy for hating all alternative extensions, if you had paid 500k for a .com domain that was worth only 50k today you would probably blame everyone else too. ;)

-

•••
So we shouldn’t come up with any new ideas to improve the standing of an extension that we like and have invested in because Snoopy who has already admitted that he didn’t like .US tells us that we are all wasting our time here. :)

Snoopy, its not right to try to suppress new ideas from members here, after all exchanging ideas is one of the main reasons for having a forum.

-

I'm saying it is waste of time, all the ideas involve someone else doing something for your benefit, those aren't good ideas, they are unrealistic ideas.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Here's my idea.

Buy quality .US
AND
(
Develop the .US and monetize
OR
Find an end user and sell .US for a profit
)

Finally, a reasonable point view, the above is something domainers can actually do.

I'm not saying that you should drop everything, I'm saying you (royal you) should come up with a different reason for why the .US is what it is.

Also. I don't buy the "we're in the .US fan club" schtick. I own .US. They have horrible natural traffic (zero for a single word EXACT term searched over 120,000 times a month for example).

You CAN own a .US and not be a fan. Thinking that individual investers can change an entire geographic market is like pissing in the wind.

It's like owning a bunch of parking lots in the desert and suggesting that the government should be doing more to encourage people to drive out to look at the sand.

Well said.

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

15 years was the time it took for the Internet to reach mass market.

.com was along for the ride as were cc tlds. Today the situation is not the same. New/relaunched tlds do not have the luxury of a 15 year wait.

•••
I'm saying it is waste of time, all the ideas involve someone else doing something for your benefit, those aren't good ideas, they are unrealistic ideas.
I don’t deny that I like to see .US become more successful both as a .US fan and as a .US investor, but this is not going to be for my benefit alone.

Lets hear everyone’s ideas first and then decide what is or is not realistic. The fact that you consider all ideas about improving .US worthless and a waste of time before people here even have a chance to speak their mind speaks loudly about your true intentions.

At the end it seems like you have achieved your goal, because half of our time and energy is being wasted arguing with you in every thread, I just hope that .US fans don’t fall in this trap again. ;)

-

Last edited:
•••
This thread is already onto its 7th page and you are still asking for ideas to be put forward ? Maybe if you were going to get any support on this, it would have happened by now.
I don't think they are coming.

•••
This thread is already onto its 7th page and you are still asking for ideas to be put forward ? Maybe if you were going to get any support on this, it would have happened by now.
I don't think they are coming.
Even if people don’t come up with any new ideas right away, but I am sure that .US fans and investors are going to give much more serious thoughts to the future potentials and possibilities for this extension than before.

-

•••
Even if people don’t come up with any new ideas right away, but I am sure that .US fans and investors are going to give much more serious thoughts to the future potentials and possibilities for this extension than before.

-

I doubt it. In my view people would be better served looking at their own domains and seeing what their options are rather rather than trying to think up ideas for the registry.

•••
I doubt it. In my view people would be better served looking at their own domains and seeing what their options are rather rather than trying to think up ideas for the registry.

Can we change ... " trying to think up ideas for the registry." to... " trying to convince others that their ideas are stupid" ?

I bought two .US domains today. Just to support this movement. lol.

•••
4 of July is around the corner. A joint press release supporting the extension could do some good.

•••
At the end of the day, people who can see opportunity in .us will continue to buy them and trade them. I would say that any success in doing this is more down to individual skills rather than growing popularity or a shift by end users to the extension. So far in this thread, I have not seen any solid proposals or commitment to the cause.
So while it will quite possibly remain a talking point, that is all it will ever be :imho:
Simply being discussed on a predominantly domainer forum will not do anything to enhance the extensions' general popularity.
Unless I see genuine commitment, my opinion that this is just a pumping thread will not change.

•••
At the end of the day, people who can see opportunity in .us will continue to buy them and trade them. I would say that any success in doing this is more down to individual skills rather than growing popularity or a shift by end users to the extension. So far in this thread, I have not seen any solid proposals or commitment to the cause.
So while it will quite possibly remain a talking point, that is all it will ever be :imho:
Simply being discussed on a predominantly domainer forum will not do anything to enhance the extensions' general popularity.
You can’t write off the .US fans so quickly :)

No one said that this is going to be easy (especially if the naysayers are going to be there to discourage us at every step along the way :)) , but I believe that .US fans here are some of the sharpest minds in this forum (unlike the naysayers who keep repeating the same things over and over :)) and once the .US fans get over their differences and combine their efforts they’ll be able to make an impact either directly or by persuading others who are able to make a difference.

Unless I see genuine commitment, my opinion that this is just a pumping thread will not change.
The only reason that this might look like a pumping thread, is because of the fact that we have to respond to the repeated attacks and criticisms by the naysayers, otherwise we (the .US fans) would rather be able to have a meaningful discussion among ourselves so that we can figure out the best ways to go about improving the overall standing of our favorite extension.

-

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

I bought two .US domains today. Just to support this movement. lol.
Be sure to check the drop list, some nice domains are dropping today.

-

•••
I own some good .us domains myself and I enjoy being a naysayer :)

•••
I own some good .us domains myself and I enjoy being a naysayer :)
You are one of the good naysayers :)

Having differences in opinion among .US fans about how best to go about improving this extension is one thing, but the repeated attacks and criticisim by those who hate .US is what we object to since their only purpose is to prevent us from having a meaningful and constructive discussion.

-

•••
Be sure to check the drop list, some nice domains are dropping today.

-
Yosemite.Southbeach.Coupon.Athens.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

4 of July is around the corner. A joint press release supporting the extension could do some good.

BUT HERE IS WHAT I'VE DONE FOR YOU US FANS

I'm going to post this in two forums... just because I think it's worthwhile.

I hope the mods don't mind.

Buy Your .US Today

Let me knows what you think :):hearts:

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back