NamesCon2020

Personal Productivity Megathread

Located in Misc. Professional Topics started by Rob Monster, Sep 25, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

?

How do you think about productivity?

1. I try to raise the productivity bar all the time

54.8%
  2. The bar is fine where it is

3.2%
  3. What bar?

9.7%
  4. I prefer to drink at the bar

12.9%
  5. This thread is stupid

19.4%
Total: 31 vote(s)
  1. Samer

Samer Member VIP

Most reliable, simple link, could find on the subject:

Mashable is reliable source; acquired $50M, 2017
    (Yes, my defense of “reliable” -is being acquired! :xf.wink:)

blame for their decline.. “jack of all trades” reporting on everything, without a niche focus.. anyway..

appreciated this type of reporting.. Most info, I could find on the subject, outside this 2010 WSJ piece.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Samer

Samer Member VIP

“Other research highlights the hand's unique relationship with the brain when it comes to composing thoughts and ideas.Virginia Berninger, a professor of educational psychology at the U of Washington, says handwriting differs from typing it requires executing sequential strokes to form a letter, whereas keyboarding involves selecting a whole letter by touching a key.” (2010 WSJ link above)

Writing on paper isn't just for writers folks!
    You can be productive, write down your goals dreams end of the day, closer to accomplishing, if nothing to write about, helps you, better understand urself! technology age; easy 2 forget, writin on paper is not a lost art!

I’m only half-kidding but...
    I bet, i still have a faster wpm than you, Rob ;.)
    (not sayin ur slow typer.., think u wud b fastest Np)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  3. Cal2

Cal2 Established Member

On 'unique', a friend thinks I should be a provocation (a 'po') consultant, creating 'productive disruption':
    http://www.debonogroup.com/podisruption.php

I told him I see the value of such a skill as highly underrated by most, and will remain that way by most for a long time - so I don't see any real $ in it as a consultant. Also more practice required on my part before I'd feel comfortable labeling myself a consultant for it.

But the productivity possibilities from doing it properly enough...

4. Rob Monster

Rob Monster CEO, Epik Epik.com Staff PRO Gold Account VIP

Quick comment on tools -- in this case computer hardware tools.

As you might imagine, my inbox is getting more full these days. For as long as I have been running Epik, it was always a policy to clear the inbox before bedtime. On Monday, that meant staying up until 2:30 am.

On Tuesday, I finally hit the wall -- I went to bed with hundreds of unread emails in the inbox, including a masterpiece analysis from @Ategy.com. I had hit the limit. Productivity D-day had arrived!

upload_2019-10-17_7-12-3.png

My laptop had been as optimized as possible, but as you can see the condition of some of the keys on my keyboard, the old machine had been beaten into submission.

upload_2019-10-17_8-32-46.png

On Wednesday morning, I migrated to a brand new Macbook -- the fastest one I could buy. It was an indulgence since Apple products are of course terribly overpriced. However, I still use them.

Over the course of Wednesday, with 2 laptops going, I was able to slay the inbox dragon, and also finally able to clear out a big NamePros message backlog -- mostly submissions for the Root Certificate poll.

The moral of the story is to keep your blade sharp. If you tend to multi-task, with many applications and windows open at anytime, you might need an upgrade on the tools before returning to the field.

5. Ategy

Ategy NameCult.com Gold Account VIP

Best hack for me was combining my walks with Steamie and listening and re-listening to old episodes of Domain Sherpa! Considering we easily do 50km a week at 4km/hr, in the last 2-3 years I've gone through them all several times. My newest phone died a couple months ago, and I'm still on my older one that only gets about 2 hours of battery life .. so these days it's actually nice, I listen to an episode or two, then silence for an hour or two (we've gone on walks as long as 5 hours/20km). I will always be eternally grateful to @Michael Cyger for this (and so is Steamie btw .. lol)!

In terms of domaining hack, I'm constantly tweaking my massively complex excel sheets for doing my daily lists for NameCult. Can't really share too much of my secret sauce since I want to continue to get good domains for cheap .. however the one thing with going through domain lists if you want to find cheap diamonds in the rough that other people miss .. is actually unfortunately NOT to have hacks. There are about 50,000 domains that expire every day at GoDaddy, so I obviously don't go through all of them, but I do go pretty deep one by one by eye. My 2nd biggest sale was a 24 character 3-word closeout that most would have never have found .. and if they had they would have been scared of potential trademark issues .. but because I've listened to all the podcasts on the subject and read a lot on TMs, I knew it was theoretically safe, which allowed me to push to 5x their opening offer without being scared.

I have no clue how you all can work on a laptop .. I've got so much stuff going on that I need my 2 screen .. my next PC (hopefully soon as this one is having a hard time keeping up with my Excel demands .. lol) will likely allow me to have 3!

Because NameCult is daily lists, I can't really take days off. I don't really know why though, as I make less with my blog on an hourly basis than I do domaining or with my "real world" job. At this point the only reason I keep at it is because I'm thinking of getting into wholesaling, so it would obviously be great to promote my names. We'll see though .. I keep telling myself I need to stop .. of maybe keep at the list, but sell it to HugeDomains or someone that will give me real ongoing money for it! My "real world" job is pretty destructive on my knees these days .. so I'm actually looking at ways to leave and maybe do domain related things only. But I've been there since the 90's and have decent benefits and a pretty good schedule .. so it's not an easy decision.

I'm pretty well known for my long emails ... but they're usually long for a reason. Most importantly, written communication can often leave a lot of room for ambiguity and lack of precision .. I like to be as clear as possible and leave as little room for misinterpretation as possible. That being said .. I am trying to cut back at that. But looking at this post .. I guess I'm failing at that! lol

Sorry for that .. lol .. hope at least you got some good ideas out of it! :)
    If you're a fan of Silicon Valley, it's safe to say that my emails alone are responsible for at least 50% of Datageddon! lol

6. marcreative

marcreative Established Member

maybe i am late, but i am soooooooooooo loving the picture there, so peaceful! really nice! it would be great to work at such place like that

7. Rob Monster

Rob Monster CEO, Epik Epik.com Staff PRO Gold Account VIP

You like that office? I have had much nicer ones. My personal fav is probably Seychelles.

upload_2019-11-1_20-10-37.png

upload_2019-11-1_20-10-50.png

Work until the wind picks up and then go windsurf.... Good times.

8. marcreative

marcreative Established Member

Yessss sooo sooo very much, wow the next picture just outstanding, remind me somewhere, oh oh bali or jogjakarta in indonesia.

9. AGAME

AGAME optimalnames.com Gold Account VIP

Not so much if those dogs are your various neighbor's dogs and as they walk them by your house they allow them to poop and pee anywhere on your yard killing whatever is hit.

And.....then your kids go out and play in the front yard only to roll around and land in pooped on / peed on grass. :-/

If that doesnt raise the stress levels then the bratty and childish response from the neighbors, when asked to stop, will certainly increase the BP and its also not so good on productivity.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice