Domain Empire

Personal name domains with traffic

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Right, my own personal name domain gets about 30 visits a day (900 a month).

I stopped updating it (I'm redeveloping it) a couple of weeks ago but the traffic is actually increasing as time goes on. I obviously have no intentions of selling the domain (Hell, it would be worth a fortune if I were ever to become famous or something :P), but I was wondering if you guys think such domains have any value?

Cheers,

J.

Also, the site has an Alexa ranking of 4,953,213 :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
J... do you have any idea where the traffic is coming from?

If it's family/friends... you could always put up a wish list for birthdays and holidays etc... or perhaps a "what i've been up to" page...

As far as value is concerned... it depends on who else shares your name i guess... you should google your name to see how many of you are out there.

You could also toss up a google search bar or some ppc ads, to see if you can profit from the traffic, even if you only make $10 a year... at least it'd be paying for itself.

Hmm... I should reg' my name.

•••
I think it would be worth a little bit because of the traffic, but as been a personal domain name and you arn't famous (yet...... lol) i don't think anyone would pay for the actual name of it, they would only pay for the traffic!

•••
Thanks for the help guys. I dont know where the traffics coming from but I know its not friends and family :) It doesn't matter anyway as I don't want to sell, I was just curious to know whether it would be worth anything ;)

Thanks again!

J.

•••
jayl said:
Thanks for the help guys. I dont know where the traffics coming from but I know its not friends and family :) It doesn't matter anyway as I don't want to sell, I was just curious to know whether it would be worth anything ;)

I started accidentally selling something on my personal website ... when it got bigger than I wanted on my "personal" website I tried to move the "store" to its own domain ...

It didn't work ... people knew my by my name, not my store name ... 90% of my search engine traffic comes from people search for my name or my name + product name ...

It's just like the real world ... people like doing business with a person, with a real name, not a nameless company ...

I saw a REALLY interesting idea last month ... a guy registered not only his FirstNameLastName.com, but also FirstNameLastNameInc.com ... he keeps his personal website personal and uses his xxxyyyInc.com website for commercial interests ...

So keep your personal domain name ... its a wonderfully valuable asset for you personally <grin> ...

Greg
P.S. My personal website has an Alexa Ranking of 57,180 ...

•••
I'd say the fact that the traffic is increasing has no correlation to the cease in updating.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back