NameSilo

Pens.co and Fractal.co two domain names going in opposite directions

Labeled as domains in Domain Industry News, started by equity78, Oct 28, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. equity78

equity78 Top Member TheDomains Staff TLDInvestors.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Pens.co was a domain name that sold back at the launch of the .co domain name extension. It sold for $8,200 in the landrush auctions. Pens.co dropped and went for just $630 at Sav.com. On the flipside Fractal.co was caught on the drop and closed at $8,050 at Sav.com. The old site had the following […]

Continue Reading

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. CraigD

CraigD Top Contributor VIP

It seems that the pen is not mightier than the sword (drop).

3. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

well they dont call them land rush for nothing

fractal ia good

pens will be museum pieces soon enuf

4. NickB

NickB Wales.org VIP

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  5. D Haynes

D Haynes Top Contributor VIP

I'm confused. Don't .co go back to the reqistry when they drop? Or is that not a thing anymore? Or do SAV have a deal with the registry?

6. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

they got no deals ... they got scripts.. to catch

scripts are like gold to them... tons of work ..competition.... he who has best fastest scripts wins the catch lottery...they pound co servers 50 billion times a second with their cheap scripts .. and little guys like u and me got no chance... then they make like 100k month profit out of it...is the number I read for park.io

meanwhile a place like sav clearly prefers to profit from auctions too while their interface is the most lacking in the entire industry.

7. D Haynes

But I thought they couldn't be caught? I remember some being auctioned at GD and the registry just took them away from the auction winners as they shouldn't have been caught in the first place but the drop catchers hadn't updated their scripts so they still appeared in auctions etc. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

8. blogspotter

blogspotter Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

.co go back to registry free for everyone else to register again. Isn't that how all drop catching works? And then it is a matter of first come first serve.

And that is also why when you backorder .co on SAV, the backorder price varies, meaning, if you backordered Fractal.co, it would already have cost $99.99 or 999 for some other Registry premium.

It is only with Godaddy who auctions off domains before they officially drops or gets deleted, and thus you retain the renewal price.

Similarly though, SAV also has exclusive expires and those names only SAV will "catch".

No wonder it went for 8K.
    I wouldn't have bidded up if I knew it was an end use lol'
    I was also bidding real high, constantly checking the credit limit on my Card that is attacted to SAV lol, but there still were two more bidders at the end.
    Also this was a second auction, It went for a little over 5K last time and winner didn't pay so it restarted.

9. blogspotter

Pen is still mightier than the sword, but not "Pens"

10. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

there are others who auction expired names..like dynadot etc...not just gd

11. blogspotter

Yeah of course, I didn't mean to say "Only GDD" in that sense. I mean the comparison of GDD expires vs pure DropCatch.
    That is why I added SAV also has exclusive expires.

12. D Haynes

OK that makes sense now thanks. So the registry premium is just added to the auction price. Thanks.

13. blogspotter

Auction starts at the registry premium in most cases. For the exclusive expires (or for some reason that i am not aware of), some start at normal price, even LLL.co even though all LLL.co have reg premium once they fall into the hands of the registrar.

14. Mytz.com

Mytz.com Top 4L [email protected] ieie.com CuTu.com NeSu.com KKiK.com VIP Gold Account

CO domain name is not popular in China

15. s.g

s.g Okay, you've cracked it. There is more to us...

What you described is the new bitcoin mining, the domaining version of it.

Now that bitcoin mining is dead for nearly everyone.

16. DomainRecap

DomainRecap Top Contributor VIP

Exactly, and this happens the same way at Dynadot, etc. - the auction start price is based on the premium registration price.

17. syedzaheer

syedzaheer Upgraded Member Gold Account

I have pens.wiki domain name Just remembered that name when i saw this post.

18. blogspotter

The more I think about it, I think pens was great... I was too glued to the fractal auction and totally missed it..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice