Dynadot

advice PayPal or Escrow?

NameSilo
Watch

Criterion811

CardanoExchange.com - For Sale, PMs WelcomeEstablished Member
Impact
Hi NP's

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times and redirect me to the proper thread if it has, I couldn't find one on the search. So I am in the process of listing all my domains on my own website. Each lander has got a contact form or a buy it now button for paypal, but what should the price cut off for paypal be before I go to escrow payment only?

Many thanks! (y)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
in almost all cases after 180 days you’ll get whatever money was in the account minus any buyer disputes that you lose during that period.

Thanks - My concern and what I did not believe was that they should be able to keep your money for no reason

Last edited:
•••
They block when they want.
There is ALWAYS a reason. Maybe your friend just didnt' share that reason with you. Or maybe he didn't agree with it. But PayPal is in business to make money so there is always a reason.

•••
Right - they keep the money after the 180 days “permanently limited” only if they think some kind of fraud such as identity fraud - for example that your PayPal was all fake - or some kind of illegal activity like selling counterfeits etc. - was going on, and even then with some proof of ID etc still they will return the money is what I’ve read. If you search the web there are PayPal experts who help people with this sort of thing.

But obviously PP wants to make money so they’re not going to limit or permanently limit you unless they think you’re too big of a risk.

Last edited:
•••
There is ALWAYS a reason. Maybe your friend just didnt' share that reason with you. Or maybe he didn't agree with it. But PayPal is in business to make money so there is always a reason.
And again...
He just received money from Sedo.
And after a few days was blocked.

•••
•••
•••
I heard PayPal was suspending account in the early days of bitcoin, even for purchasing of mining equipment.

Used to be a site paypalsucks out there, not sure if it was bought out like nodaddy.

Hopefully sooner than later blockchain technology makes this thread irrelevant.

I actually do accept BTC / ETH or ADA payments on my domains too, but I doubt many will tke me up on this! :)

•••
I only use ppal when buying...NEVER do I use it for accepting payments.

•••
•••
•••
•••
PayPal can block your account and money at any time.
My friend lost $X,XXX with PayPal.

They certainly can... My wife will attest to that. We'll never do business with them again.

Last edited:
•••
As would be any financial institution if you violate their rules and policies

My wife didnt violate any rules back in 2006 when she sold a small MP3 player to someone in Utah.

She decided she wanted to clean out our closets and try to make some cash by selling the unused stuff. She joined ebay and found that she HAD TO accept paypal. She listed the item, which we both tested and was in perfect condition, she listed it AS-IS and "no refunds".

Some guy won it and received it and said it didnt work. We both knew it worked flawlessly. Every part, even the small strap was provided - original box. Some accessories were still in the plastic bags they came in. She replied to the guy that it worked, etc.. and that the listing was as-is, no refunds. A couple of days later she received a dispute email from Paypal. They had frozen the amount of money from the sale, in her account. We didnt think much of it - figured she would explain that it worked, etc.. Didnt go that way. Buyer got nasty, said there were scratches, even emailed her a photo of it. It was clearly NOT the same MP3 player we sent him. He could not provide a photo of the box or the shipping box, so we dont know if it was damaged in transit. Paypal told him to return the item and he would get a refund. My wife went off the handle, and so did I. But it was at that point we both realized that we didnt photograph the serial number SO we wouldnt even know if we received the same one back. Paypal refused to take her phone calls, said everything had to be done by written or electronic mail. Eventually they refunded him and they terminated her account. She then closed her ebay account and I closed both of mine too. I was a very, very early ebay user and I was also a very very early paypal user. I wrote them a letter as to why I was closing my accounts - not that they cared.

I started looking into things and found out there was a scam going on ebay around that time where people would receive a good item and claim it was damaged or not as described and win a refund. Wish we had knew about that because we may have been cleared the moment we showed photos of the serial number. I read more than enough about paypal siding with buyers and not being fair back then. I dont know if there was a corporate problem with them at the time or not, or if they cleaned up their act since - but I dont care. I will never use them again. It was a horrible experience to basically be called criminals "running a scam operation" but have no way to exonerate ourselves.

Sorry for the long post but no, she didnt violate any rules. She was scammed by the buyer, paypal sided with them probably because her account was brand new and she was an unknown subject, and that we couldnt prove our innocence.

UPDATE: My wife just reminded me that this buyer had communicated with her prior to winning the auction, asking her questions about the player and told her he wanted to replace his broken player. So that became the red flag and when paypal told him to return our player, we told paypal that we would not be confident that we would be getting OUR player back. They took all of that back and forth discussions with them as grounds for terminating her account.

Last edited:
•••
Oh wow i was not aware of that, thank you!
Concierge is just possibility to push the domain into their escrow account.
For all popular registrars - this is supported by default using regular Sedo marketplace OR just Sedo escrow (3% or min. $60)... and at no additional fee.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry you got scammed @AGAME Back in the day when eBay was new I know several people who were scammed. Don't know of any of them that blamed PayPal. I was scammed on eBay as recently at 2014. But it wasn't PayPal's fault. I canceled my eBay account and will not do business with them again. Back in the day you never really thought about serial numbers, but if you had the outcome may have been different. That's why I said keep great records of everything. It's worked for me. I did a search for Payoneer reviews and found several hundred reviews from people who say Payoneer screwed them. I'm sure there will be others in the future as Payoneer continues to grow. Protecting yourself is all you can do regardless of which company use. There are no guarantees. Most buyers recognize PayPal and the ones I have dealt with do not know Payoneer. they also have shied away from the fees of Escrow. By the way, I have read some terrible reviews about Escrow .com lately too. It's business.

•••
I know most everything about PayPal and merchant accounts and while there is of course a chance that a transaction may be reversed, you the seller may protect yourself too if you know what you are doing, even with sales of intangible items like domains.

One thing about PayPal is that if you know what you are doing, there is no way that the transaction may be reversed for fraud, whereas with a standard merchant account there is no way to 100% protect yourself from fraud.

Please elucidate?

•••
I only use ppal when buying...NEVER do I use it for accepting payments.
What payment method do you accept when you are the one receiving money from the proceeds of selling a domain?

•••
What payment method do you accept when you are the one receiving money from the proceeds of selling a domain?

All types...including ppal but it has to go through the epik marketplace...they have some built in safeguards. I have the ability to take credit cards directly if I choose...and good old escrow. I've had one too many charge-backs from using the pal system...not worth the hassle to me to accept. But they are great for making purchases.

Last edited:
•••
I have never had a problem with any of them. Skrill has been tough but otherwise, pp, escrow, payoneer, and everything else has been just fine for me. Never had a chargeback ever. I might drop my ice cream if I did!

•••
I have never had a problem with any of them. Skrill has been tough but otherwise, pp, escrow, payoneer, and everything else has been just fine for me. Never had a chargeback ever. I might drop my ice cream if I did!

Thanks Silentptnr! :)

•••
Wires from Sedo, it costs me 15 EUR.
Even less if from Payoneer - $15.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back