Domain Empire

Parked Page Getting Visitors. Now What?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey all.

If your domain name parked page is getting visitors (I am using a sales lander, no PPC pages) what does this tell you?

Some of my domains get a steady stream of visitors daily, consistently. I spoke to Bodis since I use them and they said these numbers should NOT be showing BOT traffic so I assume it's type ins or existing back link traffic to the domain.

Besides making it a PPC parked page which I do not want to do, what should these numbers tell me about my domain name?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I'm no expert in this category, but the more information you know, the better. knowledge is power

1) What country is the traffic coming from?

2) Are there backlinks?

3) PR?

Etc...

One answer will unlock a door. Behind that door will be more doors. In behind each door a new answer beholds.

•••
I'm no expert in this category, but the more information you know, the better. knowledge is power

1) What country is the traffic coming from?

2) Are there backlinks?

3) PR?

Etc...

One answer will unlock a door. Behind that door will be more doors. In behind each door a new answer beholds.

Good questions that I probably should know the answer to. Going to do a little more digging over the next few days on some on my domains and see if I can figure it out.

And that last piece of advice was DEEEEEEEEEP.

-Omar

•••
It all depends on the domain name. If it is something you can build off of you might want to put a little work into it. Meaning if its some random name like qqrth.com or rogerthomas.com you're not easily going to be able to monetize traffic on a built out site but if it is a name more like tucsonlawyer.com or yardtools.com then you can more easily find ways to monetize that targeted traffic. If it is a random name you might want to explore ways to do legal arbitrage, meaning direct the traffic to another source that pays more, you cant do this on google or parked domains with ads etc but you could do it say on another site you built out that would benefit from that traffic. It is also important to know where the traffic is coming from, there are many types besides bot traffic that is either useless or bad. Behind each of these doors is another door. When you get some of these answered you will find new doors.

•••
t all depends on the domain name. If it is something you can build off of you might want to put a little work into it. Meaning if its some random name like qqrth.com or rogerthomas.com you're not easily going to be able to monetize traffic on a built out site but if it is a name more like tucsonlawyer.com or yardtools.com then you can more easily find ways to monetize that targeted traffic. If it is a random name you might want to explore ways to do legal arbitrage, meaning direct the traffic to another source that pays more, you cant do this on google or parked domains with ads etc but you could do it say on another site you built out that would benefit from that traffic. It is also important to know where the traffic is coming from, there are many types besides bot traffic that is either useless or bad.

Thanks Joe.

Yes, the names could be monetized since they do have meaning behind them, they are not a random LLLL . com domain name.

This will be a fun experiment over the next few weeks/months.

Behind each of these doors is another door. When you get some of these answered you will find new doors.

So many doors...so little time. :ahhh:

•••
So many doors...so little time. :ahhh:

I think the dictionary still has unopen doors as well...

Why do we have, 'to/too' and not 'so/soo'

I'm going to set my alarm so I wake up in time.
I was soo tired last night.

If LOL made it's way to the dictionary, than so shall soo. The Soo family has been holding the soo.com since 96, they need lobbyists!

As domainers, I feel it's our jobs to create new words, and lobby them all the way to the dictionary!

Trolling aside, you should let us know what doors you open. In particular the new doors. The door you never knew existed. The door that opened up new doors. I bet this is what Jim Morrison meant by 'The Doors'

•••
Hey all.

If your domain name parked page is getting visitors (I am using a sales lander, no PPC pages) what does this tell you?

Some of my domains get a steady stream of visitors daily, consistently. I spoke to Bodis since I use them and they said these numbers should NOT be showing BOT traffic so I assume it's type ins or existing back link traffic to the domain.

Besides making it a PPC parked page which I do not want to do, what should these numbers tell me about my domain name?

Thanks!

sorry mate. last I checked bodis does not filter bot traffic. espeially from bresil.

but they are working on it.

so go to your stats, and whatever comes from bresil, substract that frrom your total. then based on that, you will know how much traffic plus minus you get.

cheers

•••
sorry mate. last I checked bodis does not filter bot traffic. espeially from bresil.

but they are working on it.

so go to your stats, and whatever comes from bresil, substract that frrom your total. then based on that, you will know how much traffic plus minus you get.

cheers

Thanks for that.

I spoke to someone from Bodis and unless I read it wrong, I believe bot traffic isn't counted. I'll re-check though.

-Omar

•••
i am sure they are very good with filtering some bot traffic.

but there is new trend of bot traffic from bresil going back 2 months or so.

that they say ism't fixed yet

and it happens to account for a lot of traffic.

just remove everythign from bresil from your count, and then you'll know what you get for typein

GL

•••
i am sure they are very good with filtering some bot traffic.

but there is new trend of bot traffic from bresil going back 2 months or so.

that they say ism't fixed yet

and it happens to account for a lot of traffic.

just remove everythign from bresil from your count, and then you'll know what you get for typein

GL

Good stuff. Will look over my reports late today.

Thank you.

•••
I agree with your decision, and i plan on doing something similar in 2016. I don't know that it will be with Bodis though. I think simply parking all your domains is easy so we all do it. But, if you want to move more domains, I think the chances are better on custom landing pages.

•••
I agree with your decision, and i plan on doing something similar in 2016. I don't know that it will be with Bodis though. I think simply parking all your domains is easy so we all do it. But, if you want to move more domains, I think the chances are better on custom landing pages.

Yes I agree with you.

We aren't trying to push Bodis or anything like that. So far they have an amazing back office and sleek looking pages. Also, we heard great things about Domain name sales but they never accepted us so we found a home in Bodis...lol

Eventually, I think the ideal way is to have your own custom landing pages because the information and analytics you can get from that could be highly beneficial.

Thanks for the input!

-Omar

•••
Hi Omar, I am coming to this post linked from your blog.

This is an excellent subject that does not get discussed enough.

I've been doing private landing pages since the day I started, because I wanted to know everything about visitors from the second I own a domain.

It also forces interested parties to reveal a bit about themselves when inquiries come in.

My advice to you would be analytics, analytics, analytics.

Make sure that you tie your pages in with analytics, so that you know where your visitors are coming from. If you use Google Analytics you can also view the 'network domain' that someone is on while viewing your landing page.

In most cases, the network domain will be 'comcast' or 'verizon' etc... however when corporate entities are using their private networks that information will be shown under the network domain information.

I've received inquiries offering me $300 from a trash gMail account, and then have seen that the same day a single visitor from a specific corporate entity visited my landing page.

To make contact, I provide an eMail address that is displayed in an image (preventing spam). So if I receive an eMail, that same day I can look at my analytics for that day and see all available information on them.

You can also use a form to accomplish this. When someone submits a form you can have some kind of location script installed that adds a hidden field to your form submission that provides you the persons I.P. and location.

As for your wording, "May be for sale" is the right course to take. So many UDRP's are lost because the domain owner is trying to actively sell the domain versus actually using it. "May be for sale" provides you a veil of protection against that.

My landers aren't beautiful, they are very stark and plain - except for the DN name itself. They are functional and get the job done. It's my personal opinion that the name sells itself, and the interested buyer should be able to use their imagination to envision their own use for the name. So as much whitespace as I can provide on a landing page, I will. (yes I like psychology)

I will be interested to see how you fair with your experiment, I wish you the best of success with taking this on.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back