Dynadot

Ovt

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The more i use overture the more it interests me what the results really mean

heres a question ... if a term without extension gets say a million searchs / month, does that mean that an exactly matched hyphenated domain with pretty well any extension would rank well if given relevant content?

heres an example...

video games - OVT - 843,308 for december 04

would video-games.net have an advantage over joesvideosite.com?

do spiders really give extra points for the url being bang on the term?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
On the other hand, junglesurvival.xxx/junglesurvival/junglesurvival.html would rank even better...

mole said:
Doesn't seem so today, the folder name and the html file name seems to be even more important at least for Google (I don't use the rest) eg.

http://www.joesstoreinthejungle.com/jungle/jungle_survival.html seems to work better for keyword 'jungle survival'. Just purely my observation.

•••
dgridley said:
On the other hand, junglesurvival.xxx/junglesurvival/junglesurvival.html would rank even better...

I doubt it, ley. It used to be in the past with those primitive algos. Then Google probably figured out that domain names are the priviledge of the few, where as content, is the priviledge of the best.

•••
huh

so you guys think that the new spiders really dont value it much .... mmmm

so what is the single most powerful variable re SE placement ... content?

•••
samename said:
so what is the single most powerful variable re SE placement ... content?

The anchor text in the backlinks!

Good keywords in your domain name can actually help you a bit with that, since many usually link to you only using your domain name
That way the keywords in your domain will be the anchor text of the backlink...

would video-games.net have an advantage over joesvideosite.com?
Based on what I said: yes..

A link to www.video-games.net would give you the important anchor text "Video Games", since hyphens are considered spaces.
A direct link to www.joesvideosite.com would only give him the anchor text "joesvideosite" and only help him to rank better for that term..

Understand?.. :)

•••
Good point.. thanks!

Redleg said:
The anchor text in the backlinks!

Good keywords in your domain name can actually help you a bit with that, since many usually link to you only using your domain name
That way the keywords in your domain will be the anchor text of the backlink...

Based on what I said: yes..

A link to www.video-games.net would give you the important anchor text "Video Games", since hyphens are considered spaces.
A direct link to www.joesvideosite.com would only give him the anchor text "joesvideosite" and only help him to rank better for that term..

Understand?.. :)

•••
uhuh

i hope youre right redleg, it gives me hope ...

i have 1000 plus names with key words and terms separated by hyphens in the urls and will soon be using a multi page template to give lots of focused content and backlinks to my other related category sites...

so i may breakeven after all some fine day ...

•••
samename said:
i hope youre right redleg, it gives me hope ...

Of course I'm right.. ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back