Dynadot

question .org's possible end-users

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kite26

Fearless BirdTop Member
Impact
Hello mates, my question is quite simple. An organization (.org or even .edu owners) can be interested for non .org domain names (ex. ngtld's)?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think if the domain is good enough then sure, why not.

•••
Sure. I mean, they can use more than one domain names in one website, can't they?

•••
possibly not

if that organization is using 'domain name .org', which fits that extension, then a (nglt) may dilute their credibility.

imo...

•••
non-profits buy org, even if com and net versions are unregistered.

•••
I agree with you @biggie. Not impossible, but too hard to attract their interest.

•••
The above comments are relevant, because .org has a strong identity and many non-profits would not trade their .org for the .com equivalent (which may in fact be unregistered).
Maybe there is a small chance if you can offer an upgrade: a shorter/better domain in .org.
You want to sell ngtlds, but first you'll need to explain what they are, before the other party even perceives the possible benefits. IMO.

•••
I think the best option maybe to convince to own a ngTLD to a .COM end users rather than .ORG end users.

•••
I think the best option maybe to convince to own a ngTLD to a .COM end users rather than .ORG end users.
Yes, i agree with you. .org users seem το be more dedicated to their extension than .com users, although .com is clearly the king.

•••
Yes, i agree with you. .org users seem το be more dedicated to their extension than .com users, although .com is clearly the king.
Also, generally you see .COM users owns multiple domains.

•••
Also, generally you see .COM users owns multiple domains.
Yes, because usually you can find companies who want to make defensive registrations, something unknown for .orgers

•••
there is definitely different buyers for .org many thinks that .org owners don't pay much. but most of the non-profit organizations pay much somehow.. they intentionally want to use .org so why should they use .com.

•••
Using .org indicates to those visiting that you are not about profit.

It often is a lie, but it is what people associate with .org.

•••
Unless it's an exact match (eg. non-profit.company) to their current name, an established organization would probably see it only as an additional non-essential cost. But an emerging, youthful organization wanting to reach an evolving, newer audience, a matching ngTLD might definitely garner their interest.

Although most projects or non-profits are assumed and identify well historically with .org, there's no reason why credibility couldn't be created with the actual work the organization does, and with an ngTLD that perfectly matches their name.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back