Domain Empire

advice .org, .city or .town ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

.org, .city or .town

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • .org

votes
    92.0%
  • .city

vote
    4.0%
  • .town

vote
    4.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

RU

I'm out of domaining. ~RusselAccount Closed (Requested)
Impact
Hi,

Please advice which is better for geo domain .org, .city or .town?
I prefer .org, but not sure.

.com/.net/.info/ are taken

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Are you going to develop it? just a domain for resale?

if developing, what type of site were you thinking?

•••
Are you going to develop it? just a domain for resale?

if developing, what type of site were you thinking?
I want to develop a directory website.

•••
•••
•••
I'd go .org.

Why? for example, links in skype to any of the new tld's don't register as clickable links. Internet technology hasn't caught up to them yet. If you want the site to be shareable at all, .org is the safest bet that people will know how to type in and share.

•••
I agree that the .org is the best bet for development. Has the best trust factor.

•••
.org

I find that mine usually receive local traffic ...

•••
If I would have to develop a website, I would have selected .org.

•••
•••
I'd consider .directory, you say it's long but you say you are making a directory, what if people search your city + directory on Google? Eg: "Chicago directory". Well if your website is Chicago.directory you'll have better chances to rank because exact match. You say it's too long but it's shorter than ChicagoDirectory.org. word1.word2 new gtlds are shorter than word1word2.tld

My second choice would be .city because it's a geo domain, .org doesnt make any sense for a directory or a geo

Last edited:
•••
.ORG by a wide margin. It brings a credibility that none of the other options do.

Brad

•••
Why not a .directory?

Post of the Year so far for all the clever nuance and baggage that it drags into the conversation.
Brilliantly succinct.

•••
I'd consider .directory, you say it's long but you say you are making a directory, what if people search your city + directory on Google? Eg: "Chicago directory". Well if your website is Chicago.directory you'll have better chances to rank because exact match. You say it's too long but it's shorter than ChicagoDirectory.org. word1.word2 new gtlds are shorter than word1word2.tld

My second choice would be .city because it's a geo domain, .org doesnt make any sense for a directory or a geo

Are you aware that exact match domains are no longer treated with top priority by the search engines? Exact match will bring you nowhere if the content inside is not highly relevant to the user's search.

The .org is the only viable choice here. ;)

•••
By the way, just to illustrate this with an example so I don't sound like а windbag.

Great that you mentioned Chicago.Directory because its a registered domain with virtually no content on it. A search for "Chicago Directory" does not bring this site in the first 10 pages.

But yeah, its easy to judge an empty domain. Took my time and found a developed one - Dallas.Directory. Google search for "Dallas directory"? Nothing in the first 10 pages. As a matter of fact in both searches I did not found a single .Directory domain. So there you have it... ;)

•••
I couldn't fathom anyone choosing a new extension over the trusted (and old as dirt) .org

•••
By the way, just to illustrate this with an example so I don't sound like а windbag.

Great that you mentioned Chicago.Directory because its a registered domain with virtually no content on it. A search for "Chicago Directory" does not bring this site in the first 10 pages.

But yeah, its easy to judge an empty domain. Took my time and found a developed one - Dallas.Directory. Google search for "Dallas directory"? Nothing in the first 10 pages. As a matter of fact in both searches I did not found a single .Directory domain. So there you have it... ;)

Hope you are not serious with those examples? Of course a .directory is not automatically going to rank you on first pages. New gtlds are not gonna help to rank but they also won't affect your ranking. What I am saying is in this situation, "chicago.directory" would give an advantage for the exact match search "chicago directory" because search engines look at the url for keywords and you got the exact match in your url.

dallas.directory in on 4th page of Google.com for "dallas directory" : https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=cr&e...r&fg=1#q="dallas+directory"&safe=off&start=30

See how the url is bold?

Of course there are other factors but exact match gives an advantage for the exact match search you aim for.

•••
•••
Thanks guys for your help! I go with .org.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back