Dynadot

advice Should I register the .net and .org of my .com?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I'm not going to reveal my .com right now, but I think it was a great deal on Godaddy closeouts. 19 years old... Should I immediately register the .net and .org to drive the value of the .com up? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It depends on lots of reasons - First of all get it out of your head that it may drive the value of the .com up, it wont.
Now you can approach it from a personal level and decide if the .net and .org suit the domains wording. Is it a term that can have appropriate usage with these extensions. Would it be suitable to have an Organisation or Network complimentary sites (sub-sites)There are many considerations not least yearly renewals but just forget about adding sales value to the .com

Last edited:
•••
Should I immediately register the .net and .org to drive the value of the .com up?
What @BaileyUK said above is spot on.

In the old days (20+ years) pre giggle dominance and the natural progression of search algorithms, regging other top extensions might have made a recognizable difference. Now, with thousands to choose from, someone not wanting to own the .com has far too many choices.

However, if the name is taken in 15+ extensions and the net/org is/are available, I would research those extensions to ensure there was no past problems...in that case, regging one/both becomes something to consider.

•••
If you plan to *use* it, it's better to secure other popular extensions. If you plan to *sell* it, it's better to leave these extensions for others to build on and eventually upgrade to .com.

•••
I'm not going to reveal my .com right now, but I think it was a great deal on Godaddy closeouts. 19 years old... Should I immediately register the .net and .org to drive the value of the .com up? Thanks.
No.

The .com is the only one with real value. No one is going to approach you to buy the .net or the .org.

In fact, you can argue that it's better to leave the .net and the .org for other people to register, because then (if they grow big) they'll be more likely to approach you in the future to secure the .com.

•••
Perhaps the other gTLDs will have little effect on the value of the .COM but for a prospective buyer, a C/N/O group might be more attractive as a brand. Some large businesses think in terms of brands that can be protected with a trademark rather than single TLD domain names. They are almost a different category of buyers to ordinary end-users who are only interested in a single domain name.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
I think it was a great deal on Godaddy closeouts. 19 years old.
Hi

age of a domain, does not automatically equate to value.
so, regging net/org based on that alone, doesn't make cent$

also, consider what was done with the domain during that period of continuous registration.

imo...

•••
I agree with @pb

If you plan a project for this name - better get .net and .org. I have a good friend who created a useful tool on .com, and next thing happened - .net was taken by the guy who mimicked his website, but infested it with viruses of all sorts, and put heavy traffic using black hat seo.
Better safe than sorry here, I'd say.

But if it's purely for sale - don't reserve anything else than .com - you'll decimate your budget for nothing.

•••
Only if you have SpicyPickle (.) com

•••
Consider thinking from an end user perspective, will (.net, .org) add value to them when they acquire this .com?

It all comes down to quality and potential use of the .com

•••
Protect your brand, register the .net and .org you can always sell them later.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back